The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "I is disgustipated." (Popeye, 1980) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49597-i-disgustipated-popeye-1980-a.html)

BillyMac Tue Oct 28, 2008 07:41pm

"I is disgustipated." (Popeye, 1980)

"That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!"

Every time I reply to a post (Post Reply, Submit Reply), I'm taken back to the first post that started the thread, and have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to view recent posts. This started about a week ago. I never had any problems before. What am I doing wrong? Does it have anything to do with the new permalink icon? This happens when I make a simple reply, and if I reply with a quote. Help. Also, what does the permalink icon do? This is driving me nuts, well, nuttier than I normally am.

refnrev Tue Oct 28, 2008 09:27pm

I feel your pain, BM. The same thing is happening to me and I also am can't get to the various forums easily. What's going on guys?

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:15pm

Customer no-service, how may I not help you?

I normally use the Quick Reply button, and I have no problem. However, I'm posting this one via the Post Reply button. I'm betting I won't have any problem with it.

Apparently the issue you're seeing isn't universal. So perhaps the next question to consider is could this be a browser related issue. What version of which browser are you using?

Edited to add: Nope, I didn't have any problem with this post. I was taken right to it.

rainmaker Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:23pm

In the personal preferences part of the personal sign-up stuff, there's a place to change how the display works for you. It might be that that got changed somehow.

I also miss the little drop down menu at the bottom of the screen that would take me to a different sport.

BillyMac Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28pm

I've fallen and I can't get to the bottom of the thread.

Thanks. When I use Quick Reply, and click on Post Quick Reply, I move to the bottom of the thread, like in the good ole days. I'm still having a problem with the regular reply, which I like to use because I can then post a witty title (it's the methadone for my image problem). I also can't use quotes with the Quick Reply.

I'm using Internet Explorer.

Help. I've fallen and I can't get to the bottom of the thread.

I'm sure that this problem has something to do with the permalink icon. The problem, and the icon, appeared at the same time. Why is permalink there? What do we use it for? How do we use it? What are the advantages of using it?

I repeat: Help.

Adam Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 546736)
I feel your pain, BM. The same thing is happening to me and I also am can't get to the various forums easily. What's going on guys?

BM? I love it. (Sorry, Billy)
By the way, I'm having the same problem and find it similarly annoying.

ps "disgustipated?" You might want to get that checked out by a doctor. Or at least a competent moderator. I suggest Bob.

Welpe Wed Oct 29, 2008 01:16am

I'm sure Mick is more than capable of handling it, too. ;)

A tip for you all, instead of scrolling all the way to the bottom with your mouse, just hit the "End" key on your keyboard. Voila!

Edit: I just posted this using the Post Reply button and it put me at the top. I am also using IE.

Edit 2: After inserting the last edit and hitting Save, I was taken to the bottom of the page. Go figure.

Raymond Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker (Post 546755)

I also miss the little drop down menu at the bottom of the screen that would take me to a different sport.

I still have that drop down menu

BBall_Junkie Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:51am

Internet Explorer is a dollar store product. Download and use Firefox for PC's or use Safari on Mac's. Much better performance.

cmckenna Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:52am

From Wikipedia:

A permalink, or permanent link, is a URL that points to a specific blog or forum entry after it has passed from the front page to the archives. Because a permalink remains unchanged indefinitely, it is less susceptible to link rot. Most modern weblogging and content-syndication software systems support such links. Other types of websites use permanent links, but the term permalink is most common within the blogosphere. Permalink is a portmanteau word made from permanent link. Permalinks are often simply stated so as to be human-readable.

Permalink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

grunewar Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:01am

Well, as long as we don't get link rot.........:eek:

jdw3018 Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 546822)
Internet Explorer is a dollar store product. Download and use Firefox for PC's or use Safari on Mac's. Much better performance.

I've been using Google's new Chrome browser and love it. I've had no problems with this forum, but there have been a couple sites that aren't yet supported.

JugglingReferee Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 546827)
I've been using Google's new Chrome browser and love it. I've had no problems with this forum, but there have been a couple sites that aren't yet supported.

Me too! Chrome is good. But I couldn't get the Google Toolbar to work.

jdw3018 Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 546829)
Me too! Chrome is good. But I couldn't get the Google Toolbar to work.

I've been playing around with the browser some more - there's some cool stuff out there, but it has a ways to go. I'm excited for their first post-beta version. I'm sure there will be some new features built in...

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 546757)
I also can't use quotes with the Quick Reply.

I'm sure that this problem has something to do with the permalink icon. The problem, and the icon, appeared at the same time. Why is permalink there? What do we use it for? How do we use it? What are the advantages of using it?

BM (I like it; I'm using it),

A couple of things: First, you can quote the post your "quick reply"ing to by checking the "Quote message in reply?" checkbox just below the text box. If you don't want the entire quote, you can still do this, post it, then quickly edit it (like I did above). The post, complete with quoted text, is shown in the edit window and you can easily edit it down.

Second, it's not likely to be related to the permalink "icon". But the recent appearance of that link is an indication that the forum software was updated. And you know what they say about software updates, it's trading old bugs for new ones. FWIW, I think the upgrade was an overwhelmingly positive change.

Third, while I don't agree with BBall_Junkie's offhand dismissal of IE (it is the single most ubiquitous browser on the planet, after all), his proposed remedy is valid. Switching to Firefox or Chrome or Safari would likely make this issue go away for you. I'm using Chrome. I like it. I don't have the issues you are seeing.