The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2024, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Table Help

Lat second shot. U1 thinks the ball was released in time. U2 thinks it wasn't. R wasn't watching. Try is taken exactly from the lane-line extended (so on the border of C and T coverage).

Is it ever appropriate to use the table to get their input before R needs to decide? What if it's a christmas tournament game on a neutral court?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2024, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fair Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Last second shot. U1 thinks the ball was released in time. U2 thinks it wasn't. R wasn't watching. Try is taken exactly from the lane-line extended (so on the border of C and T coverage). Is it ever appropriate to use the table to get their input before R needs to decide?
I would certainly have no problem asking the timekeeper and two scorekeepers to join the team of three officials to come up with a fair decision.

Final decision is left up to the referee, and if he can't decide based on knowledge which alters such a ruling, the goal counts.

2-5-3: The referee must: Decide whether a goal must count if the officials disagree.

2-13-1: If table officials agree that time expired before the ball was in flight, the goal must not count.

2-13-3: If table officials disagree, the goal must count and/or the foul must be penalized, unless the referee has knowledge which alters such ruling.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 05, 2024, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

2-13-1: If table officials agree that time expired before the ball was in flight, the goal must not count.

2-13-3: If table officials disagree, the goal must count and/or the foul must be penalized, unless the referee has knowledge which alters such ruling.

Those are used if the horn or LED fails to sound or illuminate
Old Fri Jan 05, 2024, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Referee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Those are used if the horn or LED fails to sound or illuminate
Great point.

But can this rule be expanded by the referee to cover bob's situation?

2-3: The referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 06, 2024, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Did the horn sound or the LED light sound? If so, that could be an indicator of whether the shot was released in time.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2024, 05:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Did the horn sound or the LED light sound? If so, that could be an indicator of whether the shot was released in time.
The discussion is what to do If two officials don't agree, and in the case of three person, the third official doesn't know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 06, 2024, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

The rules say that when in doubt, the shot counts.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2024, 09:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Recognized By The Officials ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
2-13-1: If table officials agree that time expired before the ball was in flight, the goal must not count. 2-13-3: If table officials disagree, the goal must count and/or the foul must be penalized, unless the referee has knowledge which alters such ruling. Those are used if the horn or LED fails to sound or illuminate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But can this rule be expanded by the referee to cover bob's situation? 2-3: The referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.
Quote:
ilyazhito: At first I was going to slightly disagree with you based on Valley Man's post, and suggest that we could use 2-3 (referee decisions) to expand the 2-13 rules for our benefit, but now that I've read 2-13 in its entirety, I now agree with you based on "or is not recognized by the officials".

2-13: If the red/LED light fails to illuminate and the timer’s signal fails to sound, or is not recognized by the officials, the timer must go onto the court or use other means to immediately notify the nearest official. If in the meantime, a goal has been made or a foul has occurred, the referee must consult the timer:
ART. 1 If table officials agree that time expired before the ball was in flight, the goal must not count.
ART. 3 If table officials disagree, the goal must count and/or the foul must be penalized, unless the referee has knowledge which alters such ruling.

Perhaps a "dash" of 2-3 is needed, but 2-13 may be able to stand on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Final decision is left up to the referee, and if he can't decide based on knowledge which alters such a ruling, the goal counts.
Quote:

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 07, 2024 at 10:21am.