The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Background checks for coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49436-background-checks-coaches.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:51pm

Background checks for coaches

Our local kids rec league runs annual background checks on all coaches and assistants. We have an attorney on our Board and his office is able to use a service for this that costs us less than $5 per check. We've been doing this for the past few years and, fortunately, we've never had a problem. The obvious reason we do this is to protect our kids, but we also get a break on our association insurance.

I would strongly advise any of you who are associated with a kids sports organization to get them to do the same.

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:25pm

Not that I want to go there, but...what about background checks for officials. Is there any kind of insurance benefit, etc. with that?

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 20, 2008 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 544174)
Not that I want to go there, but...what about background checks for officials. Is there any kind of insurance benefit, etc. with that?

Ya' know, we don't do that. But it's something I'll look into. Thanks.

just another ref Mon Oct 20, 2008 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 544164)
Our local kids rec league runs annual background checks on all coaches and assistants. We have an attorney on our Board and his office is able to use a service for this that costs us less than $5 per check. We've been doing this for the past few years and, fortunately, we've never had a problem. The obvious reason we do this is to protect our kids, but we also get a break on our association insurance.

I would strongly advise any of you who are associated with a kids sports organization to get them to do the same.

Our league does not do background checks, but I am certain that many convicted felons would be much easier to deal with than a few of the prizes we have had as coaches.

BillyMac Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29pm

Does One Fail For Being Silly ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 544164)
Our local kids rec league runs annual background checks on all coaches and assistants.

Did you pass?

inigo montoya Tue Oct 21, 2008 04:13pm

Our school district requires fingerprinting and background checks for officials.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 21, 2008 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 544323)
Did you pass?

DUH! I'm not a coach or an assistant. Next time I'll use all one syllable words. Actually, I'm used to doing that when I converse with coaches and assistants. :p

BillyMac Tue Oct 21, 2008 08:57pm

Warning: This Post Contains Some Two, And Three, Syllable Words ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 544597)
Next time I'll use all one syllable words.

Note that I used three one syllable words in my question to you. I just wanted to make sure that you understood it. That's the way I communicate to assistants. Head coaches can usually handle more complex words, like those with two, or three, syllables.