The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Here's our chance :) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49343-heres-our-chance.html)

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 13, 2008 04:12pm

Here's our chance :)

I just received the following from NASO. I'm sure somebody here could fill this position...

NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee
Secretary-Rules Editor

The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee is requesting applications from interested individuals to serve as the Secretary-Rules Editor.

Reports to:

NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee.

Duties and Responsibilities:

a. Record rules changes adopted by the committee and update the rules manuscript in conjunction with the women's basketball secretary-rules editor accordingly;

b. Adhere to publishing deadlines for publications;

c. Ensure the technical accuracy of the rules for publication and proofreading the corrected version(s) in conjunction with the national coordinator of officials;

d. Facilitate production of finished artwork of diagrams or equipment that the committee wishes to include in the published rules;

e. Act as the official interpreter of the rules between meetings of the committee in conjunction with the national coordinator of officials and reporting interpretations to the committee by e-mail and on conference calls;

f. Attend and assist the national coordinator of officials at annual rules clinic presentations and on rules video productions;

g. Develop and coordinate annual rules test for officials in conjunction with the national coordinator of officials;

h. Perform such other duties as the committee chair may direct;

i. Prepare agenda for annual rules meeting;

j. Develop annual survey and experimental rules survey to be sent to coaches, officials, and conference commissioners in conjunction with the national coordinator of officials; and

k. Attend and present, as needed, at the Men's Final Four and National Association of Basketball Coaches convention.

Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:

1. Bachelor's degree (essential).

2. Excellent written and verbal communication skills (essential).

3. Ability to relate effectively with officials and coaches on a national level (essential).

4. Extensive knowledge of NCAA basketball rules and their relationship to officiating mechanics and techniques (essential).

5. Strong administrative and organizational skills (essential).

6. Ability to use electronic mail as a means of correspondence (essential).

7. Experience in officiating or coaching at the collegiate level (preferred).

8. A candidate should not be an active coach, official, or coordinator of officials.

Application Procedure:

Send letter of application, resume and two letters of recommendation from NCAA coaches, officials, commissioners, supervisors or others involved with collegiate basketball by October 31, 2008 to:

Leslie Danehy
NCAA
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46260
Fax: 317/917-6800
E-mail: [email protected]

rainmaker Mon Oct 13, 2008 04:37pm

Can someone be sure that Chuck Elias sees this!?!?! He'd be so totally, totally perfect. And besides, he'd be so totally, totally open to forum people!!

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 13, 2008 04:52pm

I think Chuck would be great for this. :) I can think of a few others that might be good as well.

BillyMac Mon Oct 13, 2008 05:58pm

Jurassic Referee, NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee, Secretary-Rules Editor

This must be why Jurassic Referee has stopped posting. He's too busy writing his letter of application, and updating his resume. It must be difficult to remember to put items on your resume that happened in the nineteenth century. He also has to get two letters of recommendation. I'm guessing that he will use an old letter of recommendation that he already has from Dr. James Naismith, and he will probably ask Billy Packer for the other one.

Since he has to proofread the rules manuscript, maybe he can get our friendly, neighborhood, grammar guy, and spelling guy, to help him.

He has to develop annual survey and experimental rules survey. I know that he doesn't like polls, so that may be a problem for him.

He has to have the ability to relate effectively with officials and coaches. He did have some problems relating to some officials, like Old School. By the way he treated some coaches on this Forum, that may also be a problem.

Otherwise, he'd be perfect for the job.

Scrapper1 Mon Oct 13, 2008 06:47pm

It sure sounds great, but. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 542880)
8. A candidate should not be an active coach, official, or coordinator of officials.

I'm not ready to hang 'em up just yet. I agree that should make sure Jurassic knows about it, though.

Nevadaref Mon Oct 13, 2008 07:12pm

I'd bet that prohibition refers to being active at the NCAA level, which JR is not.

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 13, 2008 08:31pm

I nominate Billy Packer. :eek:

SethPDX Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:32pm

Uhhh, Mark?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 542880)
Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:...

4. Extensive knowledge of NCAA basketball rules and their relationship to officiating mechanics and techniques (essential). FAIL. Fail, fail, a thousand times fail.

7. Experience in officiating or coaching at the collegiate level (preferred).
We are talking about on the court, not from the press table. FAIL.

8. A candidate should not be an active coach, official, or coordinator of officials. Yes! He got one!

We'll keep your resume on file, Billy.:)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Oct 14, 2008 01:04am

Where do I apply? :D

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Tue Oct 14, 2008 06:45am

On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 542990)
Where do I apply?MTD, Sr.

Leslie Danehy
NCAA
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46260

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 542972)
We'll keep your resume on file, Billy.:)

You're right. However, he does seem to have excellent credentials for being Vice-President! :rolleyes:

Adam Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 543056)
You're right. However, he does seem to have excellent credentials for being Vice-President! :rolleyes:

Or POTUS, depending on which ticket you intend to punch.

Welpe Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:38am

Quote:

I don't see "inventing the internet" or "creation of climate change based hysteria" as required experience. :)

fullor30 Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Hey, Joe has plenty of experience.

SethPDX Tue Oct 14, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

You betcha!:)