The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me but isn't the NBA officials taking the easy way out by calling a lot of double fouls? Also, what about technicals? Are they quick with these? Seems like if the players look at an official the wrong way they will get t'd up. Just an observation

I don't care for the NBA style of play anymore (way too physical), but I watch the game because I like the game of basketball
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by donj
Maybe it's just me
I guess it's time somebody told you. . . it is just you, Don. I'm just kidding, of course. Welcome to the discussion board!!

Quote:
but isn't the NBA officials taking the easy way out by calling a lot of double fouls? Also, what about technicals? Are they quick with these?
Honestly, Don, I think most of us just have no way to know what is really said or how comments are made on the court in the heat of the game. I can tell you that it's extremely difficult (and very competitive) to make it as a ref to the NBA, and I don't think that the league would hire a guy if they thought that he was trigger-happy with technical fouls. The NBA Official's Manual talks about not giving unnecessary T's, but it also is very clear that an official should never hold back when a T is necessary.

As far as double (personal) fouls, I honestly don't see too many of them in NBA games. Although, I should probably say that I only watch Celtics games. I don't call too many double fouls. I only had one all last season. But sometimes it's necessary.

Quote:
I don't care for the NBA style of play anymore (way too physical), but I watch the game because I like the game of basketball
Well, if you're watching any NBA ball at all, you have probably noticed that the game is much less physical than it was just a few seasons ago. The grind-it-out, wear-down-your-opponent style was just killing the game (not to mention the ratings) and the rules changes over the last couple of seasons have really helped to bring speed and athleticism back to the game, in my opinion. Just look at the Kings/Mavs series as an example.

Again, welcome aboard.

Chuck
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 02:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Although, I should probably say that I only watch Celtics games.

Well, if you're watching any NBA ball at all, you have probably noticed that the game is much less physical than it was just a few seasons ago. The grind-it-out, wear-down-your-opponent style was just killing the game (not to mention the ratings) and the rules changes over the last couple of seasons have really helped to bring speed and athleticism back to the game, in my opinion.
[/B]
Uh,care to comment on that 66-64 pukefest the other night,Chuck?Are you sure that was the Celtics?
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

No comment.
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

Appreciate the response and your opinion on the NBA. I also want to mention being a new HS official (2 yrs and age 51) that I have observed on this board that the responses are pretty constructive and helpful. I've visited one other board and the responses on this particular one is most of the time rather rude and sarcastic, even though some of the people that do reply are very helpful. Again, thanks for your reply to my question on NBA play.
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

I think that you'll find that some of the more thoughtful posters on the other board you mentioned are here, as well. Bob Jenkins, TH (who goes by BktBllRef on this board), JRutledge, Mark DeNucci, mick inter alia all frequent this board, so you will get the benefit of their insights here.

Good luck on your summer schedule. Now's the time to work on those little things.

As far as the rude and sarcastic responses, that's my department!!

Chuck
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Don,

I think that you'll find that some of the more thoughtful posters on the other board you mentioned are here, as well. Bob Jenkins, TH (who goes by BktBllRef on this board), JRutledge, Mark DeNucci, mick inter alia all frequent this board, so you will get the benefit of their insights here.

Good luck on your summer schedule. Now's the time to work on those little things.

As far as the rude and sarcastic responses, that's my department!!

Chuck
Hey - maybe if we're really good little boys and girls, BMK will come over here, too!

BTW - I couldn't agree less with the comment that NBA refs are too quick with their technicals. IMHO, they should be giving out about 10 times more than they do.