The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sub allowed before clock starts? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49190-sub-allowed-before-clock-starts.html)

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:34pm

Sub allowed before clock starts?

We've also hashed this question around quite a bit. Team A is down to only 6 players. A6 replaces A1. Before the clock starts, A6 turns an ankle and is unable to continue, even after Team A takes a time-out. Can A1 return to the game.

Seems like the answer is now a definitive "yes". 8.2 Situation B addresses it almost directly, although it deals with a free throw action. But a player who just came out of the game is allowed back in to replace an injured player, even though the clock didn't start.

Can you tell I'm having fun going through my new casebook? :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 540479)
We've also hashed this question around quite a bit. Team A is down to only 6 players. A6 replaces A1. Before the clock starts, A6 turns an ankle and is unable to continue, even after Team A takes a time-out. Can A1 return to the game.

Seems like the answer is now a definitive "yes". 8.2 Situation B addresses it almost directly, although it deals with a free throw action. But a player who just came out of the game is allowed back in to replace an injured player, even though the clock didn't start.

Can you tell I'm having fun going through my new casebook? :)

Scrapper1:

Everybody will tell you that I am the author of this Casebook Play. There was a very long thread about this situation. I sent this play to Mary Struckhoff for a ruling and the NFHS put into the Casebook word-for-word, and the NFHS ruling is the ruling that I vigorously defended in the thread.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Wed Oct 01, 2008 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 540492)
Scrapper1:

Everybody will tell you that I am the author of this Casebook Play. There was a very long thread about this situation. I sent this play to Mary Struckhoff for a ruling and the NFHS put into the Casebook word-for-word, and the NFHS ruling is the ruling that I vigorously defended in the thread.

MTD, Sr.

Ahem!
I recall proposing this play here on the board; you did provide the eventually correct answer before the NFHS ruled, however. :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Oct 01, 2008 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 540503)
Ahem!
I recall proposing this play here on the board; you did provide the eventually correct answer before the NFHS ruled, however. :D

Well, I edited your post to make it more readable, :D, and that is the wording I sent to Mary, so maybe it should be MTD, Sr. and Snaqs. :D

MTD, Sr.

Adam Thu Oct 02, 2008 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 540615)
Well, I edited your post to make it more readable, :D, and that is the wording I sent to Mary, so maybe it should be MTD, Sr. and Snaqs. :D

MTD, Sr.

Ouch! :)

I'll take secondary credit, that's ok. It'll keep my ego in check. My id, on the other hand.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Oct 02, 2008 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 540893)
Ouch! :)

I'll take secondary credit, that's ok. It'll keep my ego in check. My id, on the other hand.

Okay, I agree to Snaqs and MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.

mdray Fri Oct 03, 2008 08:36am

not to interrupt the mutual admiration society dialog going on...
I don't have the new rulebook yet - is allowing that sub back into the game, prior to time running off the clock, true even if there are other available subs on the bench?

Adam Fri Oct 03, 2008 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 540947)
not to interrupt the mutual admiration society dialog going on...
I don't have the new rulebook yet - is allowing that sub back into the game, prior to time running off the clock, true even if there are other available subs on the bench?

No, only when no others are available.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 540503)
Ahem!

Ahem! Ahem! Cough! Cough!

Let's not leave out the one who detailed the reasons why this ruling makes sense. :D

Adam Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 540990)
Ahem! Ahem! Cough! Cough!

Let's not leave out the one who detailed the reasons why this ruling makes sense. :D

True enough. IIRC, I had them playing with 4.