The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw oops (by player) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49189-free-throw-oops-player.html)

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:30pm

Free Throw oops (by player)

9.1.1 has been changed this year. They added a situation where the free thrower loses the ball while doing his habitual dribbling before attempting the try. This year they're telling us this is a violation.

If he muffs the pass from the official, reset and administer it again. But once he gets it, if he's just clumsy, it's a violation.

We may have come to this conclusion on our own, I can't remember. But now it's in the casebook.

BktBallRef Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45pm

Did you ever read the Case Book before? :)

Again, it's always been in the Case Book, under the same article. But the ruling is new.

Old Play.
9.1.1 SITUATION:
A1, at the free throw line to attempt a free throw (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started.

RULING: In (a) and (b) the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again.

BTW, I've never had it happen that I can recall.

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 540490)
Did you ever read the Case Book before? :)

Yes.

Quote:

Again, it's always been in the Case Book, under the same article. But the ruling is new.
Um, hence my post. I thought I would be helpful by pointing out this change. (Notice that my original post did not say the ruling was new. I said it was changed.)

BktBallRef Wed Oct 01, 2008 01:02pm

You confused me. You wrote, "We may have come to this conclusion on our own, I can't remember." That was confusing because if you had read 9.1.1 from last year, why would you make that statement which is contrary to last year's play?

Raymond Wed Oct 01, 2008 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 540478)
9.1.1 has been changed this year. They added a situation where the free thrower loses the ball while doing his habitual dribbling before attempting the try. This year they're telling us this is a violation.

If he muffs the pass from the official, reset and administer it again. But once he gets it, if he's just clumsy, it's a violation.

We may have come to this conclusion on our own, I can't remember. But now it's in the casebook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 540493)
Yes.

Um, hence my post. I thought I would be helpful by pointing out this change. (Notice that my original post did not say the ruling was new. I said it was changed.)

I have no dog in this fight, I'm just saying. :cool:

bob jenkins Wed Oct 01, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 540478)

So, does that apply to an inbounder? We've had that discussion, too.

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 01, 2008 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 540515)

Maybe that discussion is the cause of the confusion between Bktballref and me. I probably got it messed up in my memory (or lack thereof).

BktBallRef Wed Oct 01, 2008 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 540531)
Maybe that discussion is the cause of the confusion between Bktballref and me. I probably got it messed up in my memory (or lack thereof).

That could very well be the discussion we had.

BillyMac Wed Oct 01, 2008 07:00pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 540515)

Here we go again.

Nevadaref Thu Oct 02, 2008 03:27am

I'll claim credit for this one.

NEW: A1 at the free throw line to attempt a free throw:...
(b) while performing his/her habitual dribble prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (b), a free throw violation shall be called on A1.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...outhankyou.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 532957)
We have to follow what the rules are for the level at which we are officiating, but I still get to have my opinion about those rulings.

I agree with readministering a FT or a throw-in if the player never gained control of the ball (muffed it/never caught it), but I disagree with doing so if the player clearly had it and then lost it (fumble or drop). I don't see why he deserves a second chance after screwing up. JMO.

chymechowder Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41am

Just had this happen saturday in GV. Girl at line, late in game. Dribbles three times. Looks at basket. Goes to dribble again, hits her foot and rolls away.

I was trail (2man game). I looked at my partner and gave a quick shrug like, I *think* that's a violation but I'm not sure.

He wasn't sure either, but he handled it with style at least. He retrieved the ball. Made a point of looking it over as if there might be a defect with it. People chuckled as he bounced it back to her.

Fortunately for us in this case the score wasn't close/the Team B coach didn't complain. And after the game I said, Damn, I need to get clear on that in case it ever happens again.

(Thanks, Forum search feature!) :)