The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   8th grade girls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49158-8th-grade-girls.html)

mick Mon Sep 29, 2008 09:08pm

8th grade girls

H1 dribbles to the lane with V2 closely guarding and backing up for about 3 seconds when H1 forearms V2. *Tweet* goin' the other way....
Home Coach: "What!!?? She was moving her feet."
Visting coach: : "We should be shooting one-and one!!!!"

...1st game [7th graders] went an extra 3 minutes. :o

Adam Mon Sep 29, 2008 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 540136)
H1 dribbles to the lane with V2 closely guarding and backing up for about 3 seconds when H1 forearms V2. *Tweet* goin' the other way....
Visting coach: : "We should be shooting one-and one!!!!"

:D My favorite part of ms ball. I love this stuff.

Quote:

Aaaaaaaaand my least favorite part. :)

BktBallRef Mon Sep 29, 2008 09:46pm

Quote:

"Yes coach, and she still ran over her!" :(

Stat-Man Fri Oct 03, 2008 04:16pm

Quote:

Our first 7th grade game went into OT. I was hoping for a tie after OT since I've never had a basketball tie in my career and would like to get one without having to go out to Montréal. :D

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 03, 2008 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 541055)
Our first 7th grade game went into OT.

You broke the second rule of officiating. Shame on you. If I was your partner and you let that happen, I'd smack you upside the head with a frying pan. :cool:

Adam Fri Oct 03, 2008 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 541062)
You broke the second rule of officiating. Shame on you. If I was your partner and you let that happen, I'd smack you upside the head with a frying pan. :cool:

You're a team, you're both responsible for this. You could have called a T for extra free throws or something. Man up, Mark. :)

mick Fri Oct 03, 2008 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 541067)
You're a team, you're both responsible for this. You could have called a T for extra free throws or something. Man up, Mark. :)

No, it's not on the crew, it's always on the R.
R always buys.

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 03, 2008 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 541067)

If I was his partner, that's what would have happened. However, he could have called something in the final second that could have resulted in a tie. Calling a T after that would only start the OT with the free throws. In my pregame, the first thing I tell a partner is I have two rules. One is "NO OVERTIMES!"

Stat-Man Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 541062)

(Apologies to any Star Trek - the original series fans...)

Dammit Mark, I'm a statistician, not a referee. ;) :p :D

Stat-Man Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:54pm

Priceless

Not sure if this would go here (didn't want a separate thread), but at yesterday's 7th grade girls game, visiting coach starts calling fror a sub. when I told him sub had to check in, he replid "you're being a jerk."

*shrug* He was probably mad he got whacked for having a wrong number on his lineup that he forgot to catch.

BillyMac Sat Oct 11, 2008 02:10pm

What's It Like Being A Bench Warmer ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 542578)
At yesterday's 7th grade girls game, visiting coach starts calling for a sub. When I told him sub had to check in, he replied "you're being a jerk.".

I don't usually give a lot of technical fouls to coaches, I've been around long enough for them to know that I won't take too much from them, but this would be an automatic technical foul in my game if I heard him say that. I would also have to do everything in my power to hold back saying a sarcastic comment like, "I may be a jerk, but at least I get to stand during the rest of this game".

mick Sat Oct 11, 2008 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 542579)
I don't usually give a lot of technical fouls to coaches, I've been around long enough for them to know that I won't take too much from them, but this would be an automatic technical foul in my game if I heard him say that. I would also have to do everything in my power to hold back saying a sarcastic comment like, "I may be a jerk, but at least I get to stand during the rest of this game".

Stat-Man don't whack folks.

Mark Padgett Sat Oct 11, 2008 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 542580)
Stat-Man don't whack folks.

That's why I'd never want to just work stats. No fun. :(

Stat-Man Sat Oct 11, 2008 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 542579)

It's just a peeve of mine when I'm the home scorer when the visiting team has their subs sit at the far end of the scorers area and then yells at the table because we have no idea someone is there and we don't hit the manual horn. Normally, I bring my tape with me to put an X on the floor, but this particular game, I forgot. :( I just try to be preventitive and have all the players at least get my (or even my timer's) attention so I know we have a sub wanting to enter. If my particular team-of-the-season is the away team and our subs come sit by me, I'll try to tell them to move over the home scorer/timer, just so they can get into the habit of being in the right place.

But in spite of this coach's knee-jerk reaction (pun intended), he did get the hint and from that point on, he told his players to go down to where I was to report in.

###

But that's not the worst thing I've been called. Last year at a college summer league semifinal game. I arrived early and the league director was scoring the game and asked me if I wanted to finish that game and the next college game. I said yes (big mistake). In the second half, the house team , playing with 5, has a player foul out. Coach is ballistic and flat out accuses me of cheating -- never mind, I didn't even start the game as scorer and had no vested interest since it was a different division than I normally worked. Personally, I think the officials should have whacked the coach for that, but I doubt it would have calmed him down or made the game better. Still, I think it's the principle of the matter that unless you have something to show a possible mistake, you dont accuse a scorer of cheating and the officials need to address that, IMO.

The next college semifinal had another incident (not nearly as major as this, but still...) so I told the league director that I was not doing the next day's college finals; just the games I was originally supposed to do for the pro division.

Kingsman1288 Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:55pm

I always try and protect my scorers as much as possible. I'm way less tolerant of coaches or whoever harassing them than I am me. I side with them on pretty much everything unless it is something blatant or obvious.