The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A big thank you... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49066-big-thank-you.html)

NewNCref Tue Sep 23, 2008 01:17am

A big thank you...

This website has been a wonderful resource for me over the past several years as I started to get my feet wet in basketball officiating.

Tonight marks a milestone for me, as I was informed at our association meeting that I made the Varsity roster.

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of you, big or small, who whether through your heated debates, words of wisdom, or just plain funny pictures (a-hem, Mark!) have taught me so much, not only about the rules and mechanics, but about what it means to be a good basketball official and a good partner.

As we all get ready to begin another season, I wish all of you the best of luck, and hope that one day I can be half as helpful as many of you all have been to me.

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 23, 2008 01:59am

Congrats!

Too bad there isn't a lurking date field over on the right. :p

Nevadaref Tue Sep 23, 2008 05:38am

If you've stuck it out here with us long enough to actually learn something worthwhile and improve, then you've earned it. :D

Congrats.

mick Tue Sep 23, 2008 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref (Post 538742)
This website has been a wonderful resource for me over the past several years as I started to get my feet wet in basketball officiating.

Tonight marks a milestone for me, as I was informed at our association meeting that I made the Varsity roster.

Attaboy, NewNCref !
:)

Scrapper1 Tue Sep 23, 2008 07:50am

Congrats! Have a great season. Should be exciting for you.

M&M Guy Tue Sep 23, 2008 08:50am

Congrats, NewNCref! I remember each time I've "moved up", and it's always a good feeling. (Which will soon be replaced by terror when you actually get ready to officiate at that new level.:eek:)

:)

stripes Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32am

Good for you. I've said it many times, it is great to have your name called.

Mark Padgett Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:43am

Congratulations on reaching the highest level of HS officiating - you now get to throw out varsity coaches!

Be sure to keep track of how many you toss so you can brag to your friends.

BillyMac Tue Sep 23, 2008 06:46pm

Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538812)
Congratulations on reaching the highest level of HS officiating -you now get to throw out varsity coaches! Be sure to keep track of how many you toss so you can brag to your friends.

Aren't you going to remind him about your overtime rule?

mick Tue Sep 23, 2008 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538812)
Congratulations on reaching the highest level of HS officiating - ....

Of course it may take a bit of work, but I think working the progressive levels of the state tournament are more steps that may be taken in high school hoops.

Mark Padgett Tue Sep 23, 2008 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 538910)
Aren't you going to remind him about your overtime rule?

Thanks for reminding me. Remember, you and your partner(s) are the only ones in the gym who don't care who wins. You only care that at the end of regulation time, one team has at least one point more than the other.

And never forget the first rule of officiating - tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.

BillyMac Tue Sep 23, 2008 09:10pm

Giving up beer was easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538926)
Thanks for reminding me. Remember, you and your partner(s) are the only ones in the gym who don't care who wins. You only care that at the end of regulation time, one team has at least one point more than the other.

Imagine an image of Charlie Brown and a big "Sigh" in the word balloon over his head. Or maybe I would have used the image of Good Ole Charlie with a big "Good Grief" in the word balloon over his head. I wish that they had some kind of patch that I could use to help me get over this image addiction. Maybe if I just print an image, and glue it to my upper arm? Yeah. Now which image should I use? Maybe the one of me, with my twin brother, Billy Mac, from the NFHS basketball forum?

ILRef80 Wed Sep 24, 2008 09:21am

Congratulations! Good luck this season.

tjones1 Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40pm

Congratulations on making the roster! Be sure to report back when you are assigned your first varsity game. Best of luck!

Mark Padgett Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 539056)
Be sure to report back when you are assigned your first varsity game.

Be sure to report back when you've tossed your first varsity coach, even if it's just one of those pesky assistants. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...s/thumbsup.gif