The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most annoying coach? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49058-most-annoying-coach.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:39pm

Most annoying coach?

The other night, I was talking with a guy who has officiated for almost 30 years. We were talking about weird things that have happened in games and he told me about a coach he considers the most annoying he's ever had. Not confrontational or nasty, just annoying. It was a JV coach who, after every basket his team made, yelled "EASY PEEZY" at the top of his lungs. At the first break, this official discussed it with his partner and, because the coach wasn't saying anything unsportsmanlike, decided there was nothing they could do. After all, it was just annoying. His partner suggested they make some calls that would wipe off their baskets, but he was just kidding.

I had a coach once who would sub at every dead ball, and I mean every one. To this day, I still have no idea why he did that.

Any other tales of just plain annoying, not necessarily unsportsmanlike, coaches out there?

Oh yeah - any of you coaches can tell about your most annoying official, if you dare!

JS 20 Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:42pm

Worked a HS camp this summer and the coaches were allowed to stand on the baseline and coach their teams. Well Coach A is under the basket on one end and his team is on offense at the other end of the floor. I swear he yelled "PICK AND POP!!" every time they had an offensive set for 40 minutes. Every time anyone set a screen while they were on offense, he would scream it. Incredibly annoying. There was no A/C in the tiny gym we were in either. I don't think that helped.

Jurassic Referee Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538597)
I had a coach once who would sub at every dead ball, and I mean every one. To this day, I still have no idea why he did that.

I seen quite a few daddy coaches do that at the lower rec league levels. For some reason they seem to think that if they're not substituting, they're a coaching failure.

Talk about game interrupters.......:rolleyes:

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:57pm

Perhaps they're trying to slow the pace of the game?

Scrapper1 Mon Sep 22, 2008 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538597)
I had a coach once who would sub at every dead ball, and I mean every one.

Even after a made basket with the clock running? :D

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 22, 2008 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 538606)
Even after a made basket with the clock running? :D

My point exactly. Stops the other team fast breaking ;)

Adam Mon Sep 22, 2008 02:52pm

Coaches can't sub. They can only request that we allow one....

mick Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 538600)
I seen quite a few daddy coaches do that at the lower rec league levels. For some reason they seem to think that if they're not substituting, they're a coaching failure.

My guess is a liberal coaching philosophy of playing the kids somewhat equally.

Scrapper1 Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 538634)

I don't want to pile on (as I've already made a snide comment about Mark's post), but this is quite possibly the funniest post of the year. :D

Mark Padgett Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 538600)

We call it "gamus interruptus". :p

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538646)
We call it "gamus interruptus". :p

What if you've got no game to interruptus? :D

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 538634)

Not entirely true ;) (NFHS 3-3-1-b)

Adam Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 538648)
What if you've got no game to interruptus? :D

They have a pill for this. I don't know what it's called, but I'm sure you could ask Jurassic.

Adam Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 538649)

Shut up. ;)

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 22, 2008 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 538649)

I bet that 3-3-1-b says that coaches can ask the table to request a substitute on their behalf. ;)