The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What is right way to handle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49051-what-right-way-handle.html)

oldschool Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:05am

What is right way to handle?

Will try to be clear on situation. Team A is passing ball inbounds in backcourt on baseline. Team B is pressing. I am the in posision near half court. Lots of activity near baseline. As A attempts to pass I glanced and saw she stepped over the line. I look at my partner to see if he saw it and he was looking out for contact on the inbound pass. He did not call it. What would you do? I assume this is out of my primary. I know I should be watching the other players but there was so much activity up front my eyes wandered in that area. I am a 2nd year man and want your input. Thanks

JRutledge Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:13am

If you are near half court, I am not sure you would be able to see it. If that is the case, leave it alone. Your partner is standing right there and if you make a call like that, the entire game everyone is going to expect the same kind of call. It is really not worth it. You need to be watching what you are supposed to watch.

My parents used to tell me, "You can be right and wrong at the very same time." This situation would fit that phrase.

Peace

rlarry Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool (Post 538501)
I assume this is out of my primary. I know I should be watching the other players

I think you answered your own question. I assume you called it. I also assume it was a lower level game. As you move up, staying in your PCA is one of the most important things you need to learn

grunewar Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:16am

Was the score tied with 10 seconds to go in the state finals and everyone in the gym saw it as blatant and the coach is screaming? Play on and talk to your partner at first opportunity.

While if I'm the administering official and see it (depending on the level - 6th grade, Rec or Summer League) sometimes I'll say something to the player - "watch your feet." At older ages and upper levels I will call it.

If it's out of my primary and not as described in first paragraph above, that's the action I take, or don't. Stay in your area. JMO

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:20am

I called this once in my first year.

Haven't called it since - for a good reason! Mind you, I haven't been looking at the inbounder (unless I'm the administering official) since that game either. ;)

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:48am

JMHO, leave this one alone. If it happens more than once, I would do two things, and in this order:

1) Ask yourself, "Why am I seeing this? Don't I have something else to watch?"
2) Talk to your partner at the next break. If he chose to pass on this for some reason, you need to be on the same page when roles are reversed.
3) Revisit item 1 ;)

oldschool Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:56am

No I did not call it. It was a middle school game. 12 second left and pressing team down by 2. The coach was not screaming so I left it alone. I know it was not in my area and I had the easy out. I was watching the other players at the time. Thanks for your input.

Adam Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:59am

If I think I see this, and my partner doesn't call it, I'm going to assume I saw it incorrectly and defer to my partner's judgment. For a variety of reasons, this call should never be made from 50 feet away.

The first step in training yourself to stay in your primary on these plays is to stop blowing the whistle when you think you see a violation in your partner's area. Yes, you'll find yourself passing on what you think are obvious violations. However, the alternative is worse; incorrectly calling violations on plays you saw incorrectly due to distance and angles, and developing wandering eyes.

Once you train yourself to swallow your whistle here, it becomes easier to simply not look there and to find a more appropriate place to look (screens and holds, for example, on a pressed inbounds pass.)

Raymond Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:52am

Leave it alone...nearly the worst call of my officiating career I was the C (3-man crew) in a pressing situation, so I was free throw line extended. My eyes wandered towards the baseline and defender touched the ball while in A1's hands. I blew my whistle :o . My partner (Trail) was hot!!! Luckily I gave no type of preliminary. He said A1 extended the ball over the endline when the defender touched it. We turned it into an inadvertent whistle.

Tio Mon Sep 22, 2008 05:23pm

This is a play you shouldn't be officiating. We have to trust our partner is in the right position to make the call and worry about our own primary.