The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Becoming an official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49024-becoming-official.html)

Slazenger3 Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:06pm

Becoming an official

Hey,

I am a college student from kansas and I am wanting to officiate some junior high or JV basketball games this coming season. I also have 2 friends that would like to do the same. I know that I should call locale athletic directors but my question is that is it normal to have officiating partners? When I call the athletic director is it ok ask if I could be scheduled with my other 2 officiating friends?

Thanks!

doubleringer Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:22pm

It depends on where you are. Have you contacted the state and gotten licensed? After that check to see if there are any official associations in your area. You may want to find some veteran officials to work in your area that will be willing to take you under their wing and help you learn. Working with friends is always fun, but if you are all brand new, who will let you know what you're doing right and what you need to do to improve? Just a thought.

Since you are a college student, you may want to check with whomever is in charge of the intramural leagues at your college. They are ususally plugged into the local officiating community.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:25pm

Since it is easy to infer from your post that you have not officiated previously, you're getting kind of a late start for this upcoming season, but don't let that stop you from inquiring. I think you'll find it's doubtful you will be scheduled at first with other totally inexperienced officials, but as you get more experience, that might change.

I wish you and your friends the best in your endeavor.

JRutledge Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:32pm

He would be right on time for this coming season in my state.

Contact your local state association or if someone comes from Kansas can direct you in the right direction. The problem is most of us here no nothing about your state requirements to work high school or even Junior High games in your area. I would also recommend a search on the internet for the Kansas High School Association (or something like it) and contact them directly. Usually the people in those offices will give you all the information you need to get started.

Peace

Adam Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:38pm

Depending on the size of your college town, you'll likely want to get involved with your local assocation to get middle school games. It's virtually guaranteed to be a requirement for high school stuff. Here's the link for the officials' licensing body in Kansas.

Raymond Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:42pm

2 choices:

Move to Oregon and get trained by Mark to work Rec League games.

or

Move to SoCal and you'll be working Division 1 games by the time the next presidential election roles around.

Adam Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 538157)
2 choices:

or

Move to SoCal and you'll be working Division 1 games by the time the next presidential election roles around.

You underestimate the speed at which the next presidential campaigning will begin.

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 19, 2008 01:57pm

Quote:

Move to SoCal and you'll be working Division 1 games by the time the next presidential election rolls around.

LOL.....it's true, it's true....:D

Adam Fri Sep 19, 2008 02:19pm

Quote:

2 choices:

or

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 538165)
LOL.....it's true, it's true....:D

So, I either a) move to the giant rain cloud and work Rec league games with Mark, or b) move to sunny SoCal and work D-1 games?

Gee, I'm gonna have to think about this one for a bit.

Scrapper1 Fri Sep 19, 2008 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 538153)
He would be right on time for this coming season in my state.

Mine too. Our association's new applicant classes start on Oct 1.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 19, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 538171)
So, I either a) move to the giant rain cloud and work Rec league games with Mark...

FYI - we just set some kind of a record here in the Portland area since it hasn't rained in over a month. The tree huggers are so disoriented that many of them are falling off their bicycles.

BTW - I've got some 3rd grade girls games I know you would like to work. :)

Adam Fri Sep 19, 2008 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 538202)
FYI - we just set some kind of a record here in the Portland area since it hasn't rained in over a month. The tree huggers are so disoriented that many of them are falling off their bicycles.

BTW - I've got some 3rd grade girls games I know you would like to work. :)

Dude, you had me with the tree huggers falling off their bicycles. :D

JRutledge Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 538192)
Mine too. Our association's new applicant classes start on Oct 1.

Officials in our state can start anytime. If you pass the test and you get all your reference information in, you can start working anytime during that season. They do not turn away applications from what I understand at anytime during the season.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Sep 20, 2008 08:57am

Not International Organization Of Approved "Blind" Officials ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 538228)
Officials in our state can start anytime. If you pass the test and you get all your reference information in, you can start working anytime during that season.

Perspective new officials start classes in my little part of the "Land of Steady Habits" on Thursday, October 2.

http://re3.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/25/m6/3468032834

JRutledge Sat Sep 20, 2008 02:23pm

Billy,

We do not have such thing as a "class" that everyone that is starting must take. We have association meetings (which is not required but recommended). Now I do not think the IHSA gets a lot of applications during the season, but if they can complete all the information, they could work later in the season.

Peace