The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 05:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
OT - Hochuli Apologizing to Chargers Fans

1) Have you ever heard of such a thing before?

2) I know we often discuss that players decide the game with missed layups, missed foul shots, etc. However, have you ever felt "devestated" or really bad about any one call? "Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling," Hochuli said. "Officials strive for perfection — I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry."

Entire Article is at:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...i-apolopg.html
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

1) Yes.

2) Yes.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 06:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hochuli has/will develop a thin layer of teflon over this one because of the way he has handled it, amongst the fans.

How the NFL office likes his approach may be different. I don't know of any other NFL official with his own message forum, line of WWEHD products, etc.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 07:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was listening to Gottlieb last night (I know, that was my first mistake), and he had John Clayton on. The discussion of Hochuli was great until they used it to take a gratuitous shot at PAC-10 football officials. I knew better, but I listened anyway. I probably won't learn, though.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I think he's handled a lousy situation in the best possible manner. He owned up to his mistake and I'm sure he is devistated. There isn't much more he can do except go out this week and work hard like he has thousands of times before.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 01:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

He's devastated?!?!?! Did people die? Did children starve? Big deal, it's a game and he made one mistake. So some fans are disappointed. Who cares? Put it in perspective.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Hochuli has/will develop a thin layer of teflon over this one because of the way he has handled it, amongst the fans.

How the NFL office likes his approach may be different. I don't know of any other NFL official with his own message forum, line of WWEHD products, etc.
I do not think that is Hochuli's website. Or not one that he runs.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 02:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
WWEHD is a web-site run by some young lady. According to her bio she got permission from Ed Hochuli to use his name. But he has no direct affiliation with the web site.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He's devastated?!?!?! Did people die? Did children starve? Big deal, it's a game and he made one mistake. So some fans are disappointed. Who cares? Put it in perspective.
Disingenuous.

How do you think these guys get to where they are? One of the reasons is because of the committment they make to the pursuit of excellence in what they do. If you blow off mistakes that you make in that pursuit, you will never get to that level.

Do you think it is likely that Scott Norwood was "devastated" when he missed a field goal to win the Super Bowl? Do you think Mariano Rivera was "devastated" when he blew a save in game 7 of the World Series? Why would you expect less from an official?

If they weren't "devestated," then wouldn't everyone be rushing to judgment about how they are "spoiled millionaire athletes who don't really care?"

The fact that he is "devastated" over a significant mistake is one of many reasons why Hochuli is and will continue to be an excellent official.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 04:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
The fact that he is "devastated" over a significant mistake is one of many reasons why Hochuli is and will continue to be an excellent official.
No, the fact that he is "devastated" is one of the many reasons this nation has its priorities way out of whack. The emphasis we put on sports and other forms of entertainment is so far out of proportion to what's really important in this world that it is frightening.

Do you know how many people there are in this country that think "Entertainment Tonight" is a news program?

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 05:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I was referring to nfl85.com
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I can see with his reputation and obvious great skill that he would feel embarrased and have a lot of anguish over the mistake. He worked very hard to get to his level of officiating and expertise. What impresses me most is how he has handled this. No excuses. No whining. Accepting responsibilty and acknowledging the mistake. No wonder he has biceps the size of the Tetons. This is a real man!

Last edited by refnrev; Sun Sep 21, 2008 at 10:41pm.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No, the fact that he is "devastated" is one of the many reasons this nation has its priorities way out of whack. The emphasis we put on sports and other forms of entertainment is so far out of proportion to what's really important in this world that it is frightening.

Do you know how many people there are in this country that think "Entertainment Tonight" is a news program?

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
News Flash...

Ed Hochuli "devustated" after blown call, society crumbles as a result. Dogs and cats living together and mass hysteria are knocking at our door. Details at 11.

I think I have a pretty healthy perspective on life, and a pretty good balance between the things that are truly important in life. And when I screw up, I mean really screw up, in any of those areas, it hurts. That includes a major screw up during a game I'm officiating. It's not the end of the world, but it still hurts. It should when you let so many people down.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

The man is really a public figure. He is on TV every week and he uses a microphone to speak directly to the spectators informing them of decisions. Because there is that connection with the viewers of NFL games it seems appropriate for him to issue a public statement regarding the error. Not so sure that returning private emails to individuals is a good idea, but that's not my call.

As far as how the league feels, I believe that it should be pleased that Ed has made a public announcement of his mistake. It assures the viewing audience that the game was not fixed and that this was simply a human error. He is still an excellent official and I actually see his popularity increasing because of the press coverage from this. People will feel that they can trust him. They now have knowledge that he will say so if the referees got a call wrong. That's a good thing for the NFL. The last thing that the league office wants is to have to deal with a credibility problem similar to what the NBA is battling.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
I live in San Diego, and I'm a die hard Chargers fan. While the rest of my friends were screaming obscenities at him through the TV, I kept my mouth shut. If there's one thing I've learned from officiating it's that we have to stick together no matter what. He kicked the call and admitted it on national TV. My respect level for him went up a ton after that.

On another note, if I have to endure one more lame Hochuli joke while I am working a game, then you might see some story on the news about a basketball official in San Diego igniting an all out brawl.