The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I had a situation happen my first summer officiating basketball that has had me racking my brain ever since to know if I made the right call. I am not talking just rules but etiquette of how you call the game. Situation, A1 shooting over b1, players are 10 feet apart when the shot goes up but because they are both jumping at each other, they collide half way. Kind of looks like /\ except more pronounced. I felt that because a1 wasn't exactly virtical and was trying to draw a foul by jumping into the b1, that I didn't call the foul. b1 was not exactly virtical either. My partner, clear on the other side of the floor, jumped all over me during the next time out about no calling that and said I should have had a call against the defense. So my question is this. Should I have had a call against the defense for meeting in the middle on the shot or was my no call the right call. BTW, my position on the play was perfect, six feet away from the collision looking right between them.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 12:11am
certified Hot Mom tester

Tim - gotta disagree. I have a block on B1. There is no burden of vertically on A1 to shoot if B1 has not established and maintained legal guarding position prior to A1 leaving the floor. A1 can jump toward the basket all he wants on his shot. If B1 makes sufficient contact before A1 lands, it's a block.

Don't lose any sleep over it, though. I'm sure you missed a bunch more in that game.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree with Mark. Unless the defender goes straight up, the foul's on B1.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Wink

Contact made on a shooter by a defender moving toward the shooter is illegal.
That's not like you Tim.

I know TASO rules may vary.

mick
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't mean to pile on, but I'm pretty sure I have a foul on the play you describe, Tim.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Ok, Ya'll had the same reaction that my partner had. I'll make the call if I ever see it again. It wouldn't be a block however. We have a hack because contact was on the arm. TASO has nothing to do with this call. It was a National Tournament in Colorado.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

How 'bout a push?
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

How 'bout icing?

Where's those damn meds?
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

My take? Judge the play on it's own merits.
If the contact is sufficient to call a foul then do so.
IMO, even if B1 is jumping towards the shooter, if in your opinion, A1 is jumping into B1 to draw the foul only, you could have an offensive foul. That's my two cents worth.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Also, by stating your partner "jumped all over you" for not making the call, I assume he wasn't very constructive in his criticism. I would be tempted to ask him, when the last perfect game was he worked!?! And if he thought it REALLY needed to be called, then he should have called himself, even if it was out his primary.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
if in your opinion, A1 is jumping into B1 to draw the foul only, you could have an offensive foul. That's my two cents worth.
Good point. Don't bail him out.

Chuck
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
I strongly agree with Drake. If your partner felt strongly enough about the call to "jump all over you", he (or she) should have "jumped" in and taken the call...primary or not. Later I would talk about the play with my partner to see how we could handle that situation differently next time. The way he (or she) handled that was not in the least bit constructive. Hope this helps.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

My partner was too far away to make a call. It was totally out of his area so it was solely my call. I was lead and the play happened on the baseline on my side of the floor. Let me ask, would you step in and call something down there even if you were a 10 year vet and your partner only had two years experience with no varsity under his belt. I don't think so. I'd just talk to my partner at the next opportunity and find out what he was thinking. Basically he just told me, "You have to make a call on that play!!!" Not even asking why I no called it. My question is why was he even watching the play, he had off ball.

Push? Maybe. Hack is still where it is because the distance they both had to jump to make contact, only the arms could contact. Icing? I like it. But not here. I'll call it the next time I have a backcourt violation that isn't.