Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good.

Now shut up.
That's just the kind of mean spiritedness that's being lamented (I'd explain that word, but Dan's not around apparently).

BTW, I hear Rocky has some home made clam chowder for you.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:35am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
BTW, I hear Rocky has some home made clam chowder for you.
And that's exactly the kind of inside joke that is ruining these threads for people.

Besides the fact that even I don't get it.

(thus opening the door for more short jokes and an eventual posting of the infamous squirrel picture)
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And that's exactly the kind of inside joke that is ruining these threads for people.

(thus opening the door for more short jokes and an eventual posting of the infamous squirrel picture)
The inside jokes have been told so often, that we don't even need to tell them anymore!! LOL. We already know the entire sequence. Along those same lines (and I apologize for adding a joke to this thread, but it fits with the rest of this post). . .

In the lifers' section of the prison, all the inmates had been there for years. One night after lights-out, one of the prisoners yelled out "22!" There was some quiet chuckling in various cells. Then a different voice yelled out, "54!" Again, there was some laughter in the darkness.

One inmate, who had only been in this prison for a couple months, asked his cellmate, "What's with the numbers?" His cellmate said, "We been here so long, we've heard each others' jokes 1,000 times. So instead of telling the whole joke, they just say the number of the joke, and the other guys remember it."

Just then, another voice in the darkness yelled out, "317!" There was silence for a second, and then the cell block erupted with laughter.

The new inmate again turned to his cellmate: "What was that all about?" His cellmate answered, "We'd never heard that one before!"
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

Sorry, it's just that JR makes me feel so welcome.

Okay, there is one picture that bothers me.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, I'll throw in my perspective as a mid-level user. I certainly don't post as much as many users I consider to be the more experienced as far as officiating, but I am not a newbie either. I tend to absorb information more than offer my own perspective on things. And I find this site invaluable for learning and becoming a better official.

I definitely get the comraderie among the faithful, and the inside jokes and the threads that sometimes go way off topic. That is just the nature of internet message boards. No problem.

What I personally don't like are the users who seem to only post what they consider to be funny retorts. I don't think I've ever found any of their posts to be even remotely funny. I try to just completely ignore those people's posts.

I would hate to see any of the regular members leave because of the way the forum is moderated. I learn so much from the many scenarios that are played out here. The perspectives that I would never think of on my own. It's monumentally worth reading through the relatively small amount of drivel to get to the good stuff.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

When I posted I realize that this is the off-season. But in many cases we are two months away from the season and usually there is a little more buzz about basketball at this time of year. One of the problems could be because Michigan no longer plays basketball during the fall and that has taken away some conversation we would normally have at this time. I just read a couple of very high profile people get upset and not come back recently. I personally do not care for all kinds of posts, but that is what makes this place special. I am just wondering if that is going to change or is this a trend.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have been using this site for 2 years now. And no I am not the previous Old School. I am a newbie of sorts but the information has been outstanding. I only hope the questions are answered first before everyone goes off subject. Just answer the question and if you want to add what if after great. If it is heading in the wrong direction I will usually just exit. Some humor is great but most are just a waste of time. Keep the questions and topics coming. Thanks
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

I think another reason for the slowness is that there were no significant rule changes for the FED this season. And for NCAA the biggest one was moving the 3-point line on the Men's side.

A lot of the off-season talk in the past tended to be about major rule changes but how much discussion can you have about hair wraps and different color 3-point lines?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
One of the problems could be because Michigan no longer plays basketball during the fall and that has taken away some conversation we would normally have at this time.
Michigan no longer plays football during the fall either.

Oh, you meant the state, not the university?

Never mind.....
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where did all the Cowboys go?
Dallas?

I'll admit, I get caught up in the off-topic stuff myself, but I kind of enjoy both participating and watching. (Obviously that opens up all kinds of off-topic possibilities, but don't go there...) Maybe it's because we, as officials, have to carry a certain persona on the court (serious, calm, objective, etc.), and this forum gives some people's personalities a chance to come out where they don't really have that opportunity on the court. There are times we might go (a little) overboard, but how is that different than any other conversation about rules at the local watering hole? This isn't a mandetory gathering, so we shouldn't have the same expectations of decorum as we should at our local association meetings. But I do think the mods do a good job of not letting things wander too far off-track, while still keeping things loose enough.

JMO.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Never mind.....
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 02:43pm.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Never mind.....
When was the last time the "Cow College" beat the good team in Ann Arbor?

That is right, never mind.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When was the last time the "Cow College" beat the good team in Ann Arbor?

That is right, never mind.

Peace
"Cow College"? You mean Holstein U.? Guernesy A&M? Are those the teams Michigan has scheduled for next season?

Oh, you mean U of I. I'm sure it's been a LOT more recent than the Cubs winning the World Series.

(Oh, crap...never mind.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
What I personally don't like are the users who seem to only post what they consider to be funny retorts. I don't think I've ever found any of their posts to be even remotely funny. I try to just completely ignore those people's posts.

Hey M&M, I think he's talking about you!!
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
"Cow College"? You mean Holstein U.? Guernesy A&M? Are those the teams Michigan has scheduled for next season?

Oh, you mean U of I. I'm sure it's been a LOT more recent than the Cubs winning the World Series.

(Oh, crap...never mind.)
No, "Cow College" is a Michigan reference to Michigan State. We do not have references to Illinois, because we usually beat you.

Peace