The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Anyone ref grils AAU Regional at Fairfax HS this past weekend? I know we have some VA officials.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 10:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Anyone ref grils AAU Regional at Fairfax HS this past weekend? I know we have some VA officials.
Don't blame me.
I was home... reading.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Not to worry

We're in the medal round next weekend after two amazingly close wins - a 2 pointer and an overtime win in a winner advances game. First time to break thru in three years of regionals - girls were PUMPED! Oh yeah, and coach was pumped too

I wudda sent you a bottle of Chivas, Mick, but you blew the question!

Hope you were readin' your rules - us coaches never have time
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hawks Coach: I was supposed to work some, but I had to go out of town unexpectedly. I work a lot of girls AAU games and I enjoy doing them. Were you happy with the officiating? As you have no doubt observed, we have good and "not so good" officials doing these tournaments. Over the past 8 or 9 years, I have seen some outstanding games and a lot of blow outs.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

dbl - Honestly, it was a mixed bag, as usual for the level of play. The worst case was an official who actually crossed his partner - haven't seen that in a long time (don't do it guys!!!). Opponents player attempted to catch a pass thrown over her head, fails to catch and drops ball in front of her, falls to floor and is holding ball. She gained control somewhere in all of this, may have already been on floor before getting control, maybe prior to reaching floor. Trail (R1) near play but on back side of receiver passes on call, lead (R2) on other side but in position to see whether control was gained, calls travel.

R1 is by my bench and looks at me as he gives us the ball to inbound and says "That wasn't a travel - she didn't have control." Even repeats it, like I don't get it and repeating the exact same phrase will aid my comprehension. Luckily for R2 I don't think the opposing coach heard it, although every player in the area from both teams (including my entire bench and the girl who may or may not have travelled) heard this comment. R1 has just put the target on R2's back. Anytime R2 makes a questionable call you can go to R1 and appeal the call, saying, "we both know he makes bad calls!"
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Over the past 8 or 9 years, I have seen some outstanding games and a lot of blow outs.
Pool A had one awesome team, a good team, and 3 really weak teams. Our pool had three evenly matched teams and one slightly stronger team. Pool A had all blowouts, but three teams advance! We got lucky enough to win our close ones while two very deserving teams stay home this weekend because only two advance from our side. It never seems fair.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Over the past 8 or 9 years, I have seen some outstanding games and a lot of blow outs.
Pool A had one awesome team, a good team, and 3 really weak teams. Our pool had three evenly matched teams and one slightly stronger team. Pool A had all blowouts, but three teams advance! We got lucky enough to win our close ones while two very deserving teams stay home this weekend because only two advance from our side. It never seems fair.
Hawks Coach:

Just got a call from my assignor and on Saturday, I have the 6:30 & 8:00 G14 AAU games at Thomas Jefferson HS. I also have the 8:00 pm game for G12 AAU at Westfields HS. Do you know if you will be at either location?
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I am at Westfields at 1:45 - 12U B bracket playoff, with two games the next day if we win this first game, go home for good if we lose. Probably won't cross paths - oh well!

Also, I advise you double check that Saturday 8 PM game time. The Vogues have adjusted a lot of schedules, I just tried to see who in 12U you might have and found only a 7PM game at Westfields. There is no game listed for later than 7PM in either A or B bracket Saturday. There is an A bracket championship game on Sunday at 8 - I will probably attend that game to watch, if we survive Saturday (because we will have a late Sunday game at a minimum, with two championships to follow - and with some luck, we could be the first championship game).
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Fairfax, CA? I'm only 30 minutes from there. Mind telling me who the assignor is? I'd like to come over and work a few games! If you want to e-mail me directly, I am at:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Wrong coast - we are at Fairfax, VA! Kinda long haul for you.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am at Westfields at 1:45 - 12U B bracket playoff, with two games the next day if we win this first game, go home for good if we lose. Probably won't cross paths - oh well!

Also, I advise you double check that Saturday 8 PM game time. The Vogues have adjusted a lot of schedules, I just tried to see who in 12U you might have and found only a 7PM game at Westfields. There is no game listed for later than 7PM in either A or B bracket Saturday. There is an A bracket championship game on Sunday at 8 - I will probably attend that game to watch, if we survive Saturday (because we will have a late Sunday game at a minimum, with two championships to follow - and with some luck, we could be the first championship game).
My bad Coach! I have the 8:00 game at Westfield on Sunday, not Saturday. I am at Jefferson at 8:00 on Saturday. I'm good, but not that good!

Any idea on who I might have at 6:00 & 8:00 on Saturday at Jefferson?

If you get a chance, take a look at the 8:00 championship game at 8:00 on Sunday. It would be nice to have your comments and to "meet" a fellow poster. I will be the tall, handsome ref....my partner (unless it changes)will be a "vertically challenged" Black official (good ref and a good partner).
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
Fairfax, CA? I'm only 30 minutes from there. Mind telling me who the assignor is? I'd like to come over and work a few games! If you want to e-mail me directly, I am at:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Hey, what's a little traveling? Come on over, we can always use good officials and the Vogues tournament is a pretty good tournament. About 3 or 4 years ago, I did the regional(?) semi-final game for I believe U16's or U17s and that team went on to finish 1st or 2nd in the nation. They were called the Philadelphia Belles. The Belles seem to have a boatload of teams in all age groups. We see some really good teams come out of Maryland, along with local VA teams.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

You got a couple of PG County A teams from MD, the Sparks and the Lady Panthers. Expect fast, physical teams with extremely vocal fans in this matchup. Don't see many teams in this age group, so I don't know how they'll match up.

Then you got Maryland Flames B team from Montgomery County against the Lady Cougars from PG County. I expect this might be a bit of a mismatch unfortunately, but you never know til they suit up and play - let me know!

You did real good on your Sunday game. This will be the championship, unless the losers bracket team wins, in which case they will replay on Monday. either way, you get the top two teams. Having watched all the top teams in this age group, this game will likely be very close and a gem to watch. I hope we are playing on Sunday (medals would be nice after all!), and I will surely stay for this game. Hopefully I am the one with the happy team.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not to worry

Quote:

I wudda sent you a bottle of Chivas, if you worked my game.

Hope you were readin' your rules - us coaches never have time
It was me coach, i worked your game. email me and i'll give you the add. to send the Chivas.
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, got tired of waiting so I drank it myself. Maybe next time.