The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

We have had multiple interpretations of what was the NCAA women's FT rule for this past year. I watched games and can swear I know the right one, we have used it in some tourneys this year, but others have their own interp of what the rule is.

1) 6 total players (4 defenders, 2 offensive players) on lane, plus shooter, lowest space on each side open (my vote is here, to be on record!).

2) 6 total including shooter (3 defenders, 2 offensive along lane), lowest space each side open.

3) same as 2, but lowest space is occupied (my vote for last year's rule that changed this year!)

Can a NCAA women's ref give a definitive interp, or does it differ by Division?

And don't you just love all these different rules on FTs?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We have had multiple interpretations of what was the NCAA women's FT rule for this past year. I watched games and can swear I know the right one, we have used it in some tourneys this year, but others have their own interp of what the rule is.

1) 6 total players (4 defenders, 2 offensive players) on lane, plus shooter, lowest space on each side open (my vote is here, to be on record!).

2) 6 total including shooter (3 defenders, 2 offensive along lane), lowest space each side open.

3) same as 2, but lowest space is occupied (my vote for last year's rule that changed this year!)

Can a NCAA women's ref give a definitive interp, or does it differ by Division?

And don't you just love all these different rules on FTs?
You are correct -- six (plus the shooter) are allowed, the spots below the block aren't used, the first and last spots above the block are reserved for the defense; the second spot is reserved for the offense.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Bob is right. 4 defensive and 3 offensive including the shooter. Everyone has to stand in their assigned lane space. If the offense doesn't want to stand in one of their spaces, the defense can't move down, nor can another offensive player fill in a space where a defensive person doesn't want to occupy.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to both of you. I forgot the other variation of wmen's NCAA, where they let people fill the wrong spaces! Good and accurate point Hoosier.

Two wishes out of all this:

1) Let's just all have the same FT rules, regardless of what we decide they are - it would be so much easier. I prefer go on release, require lower two blocks to be filled by defenders, everything else depends on who wants to get in the mix.

2) Until we reach that blissful state, when girls AAU clubs say they are going to use women's NCAA rules, may those clubs please know what the heck the rules are! And please put them in writing at the table, (with Hoosier's detail), so that HS refs not used to doing NCAA women's rules will know what they are too!