The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does it count? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/478-does-count.html)

jackgil Thu Feb 17, 2000 04:29pm

We had an earlier post about a lob pass from behing the 3 point line being tipped in off defender's hand and counting as 2. Suppose A1 shoots high arcing shot and it is short and deflects off A2's head (please don't laugh, I saw this happen) and goes in....is it a basket?

Rusty Gilbert Thu Feb 17, 2000 04:34pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackgil on 02-17-2000 03:29 PM
Suppose A1 shoots high arcing shot and it is short and deflects off A2's head (please don't laugh, I saw this happen) and goes in....is it a basket? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is a basket, and would count as 2 points (even if the "high-arcing shot" began behind the 3-point line). NFHS 5.1.1 says that "a goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through" and the only times it is not scored as a goal is when it is cancelled by a throw-in violation (when an untouched throw-in goes through the basket) or a player-control foul occurs after the goal.

jackgil Thu Feb 17, 2000 05:25pm

Todd - where are you on this one????

bob jenkins Thu Feb 17, 2000 05:38pm

See case 4.39.4B. Substitute "head" for "shoulder".

Count two points for the team whose basket the ball went through.

pizanno Thu Feb 17, 2000 05:55pm

2 points. Just like any alley-oop pass. Shot ends when LEGALLY touched by another player or floor.

jackgil Fri Feb 18, 2000 01:21am

I'm not so sure about that.....ball off player's head would not be considered a shot.
I've seen basket waved off.

b_silliman Fri Feb 18, 2000 01:52am

Basket always counts not matter how it got there, except if through an illegal action i.e. kicking the ball!

jackgil Fri Feb 18, 2000 02:55pm

I seem to remember something in the case book aboout this. I'm going to check my books tonight. Maybe it was A1 PASSED the ball (not shot)inside and ball richochets off one of his players into basket where it doesnt count. Please keep an open mind until I make sure. Thanks for your input.

New Yorker in NC

bob jenkins Fri Feb 18, 2000 04:28pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackgil on 02-18-2000 01:55 PM
I seem to remember something in the case book aboout this. I'm going to check my books tonight. Maybe it was A1 PASSED the ball (not shot)inside and ball richochets off one of his players into basket where it doesnt count. Please keep an open mind until I make sure. Thanks for your input.

New Yorker in NC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jackgil --

I already gave the reference -- 4.39.4B.

Further, 5-1-1 "A goal is scored when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throw-in goes through the basket."

So, for points to count, it doesn't matter if it's a try or not. Determining a try or not only affects whether it's two points or three, airborne shooter rule, etc.

jackgil Fri Feb 18, 2000 04:59pm

Bob -

Thanks for looking this up.

Jack

Todd VandenAkker Mon Feb 21, 2000 09:27am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackgil on 02-17-2000 04:25 PM
Todd - where are you on this one????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still here, but gotta do a lot of "catch up" come Monday mornings. On weekends, too tough to battle my kids for the computer, and besides, my home computer is much slower than at work. Plus, all these guys are correct about counting the bucket.