Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
IAABO Foul Mechanics:

1) Sound the whistle while raising one arm, with fist clenched, straight up.
2) Continue holding the foul signal and step toward the player who committed the foul.
3) When clarification is necessary, extend the other arm, with palm down, toward the fouler's midsection.
4) Stop and state the color and number of the player who committed the foul.
5) While at the site of the foul, indicate the type of foul by giving the applicable signal.
6) If a try for goal is involved, check with your partner to see if the ball entered the basket.
7) If the try is successful, signal to count the goal as soon as it is confirmed.
8) Verbally inform the free thrower and partner of the free thrower's number. Visibly inform partner of the number of free throws, if any.
9) Indicate the throwin spot if a throwin will follow.
10) Officials shall confirm the proper procedure when fouls are flagrant, intentional, simultaneous, technical, double, or false double.
11) Proceed to the reporting area.
I am glad that I dont do IAABO--Call three fouls and the quarter takes an hour. ---

All of these 11 steps are done BEFORE you even report the foul.... The longer this takes the more time a coach has to yell... Get it right but get it done and get ball back in play!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 06:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Versus NFHS Foul Mechanics ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
I am glad that I don't do IAABO. All of these 11 steps are done BEFORE you even report the foul!
Actually, it's only ten steps, listed under the heading When A Foul Occurs. I added step eleven, which is the first step of eleven listed under the heading Reporting The Foul. There is also a third section headed by Reminders (freezing, moving around players, switching, etc.).

Our IAABO Handbook no longer covers NFHS mechanics. How do NFHS mechanics differ from IAABO mechanics, specifically in terms of mechanics When A Foul Occurs?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
I am glad that I dont do IAABO--Call three fouls and the quarter takes an hour. ---

All of these 11 steps are done BEFORE you even report the foul.... The longer this takes the more time a coach has to yell...
I don't think there's anything on that list that differs from NFHS procedures, except maybe "step toward the offender".

And obviously, you don't take 2 seconds for each one. I just tried it and it took me 2 seconds.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 07:32am.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
After speaking with a few vets and class observers, it seems that this mechanic is used largely to get us to sloooooooow down, as the younger (self included) officials seem to always be in a mechanics rush.
Slow down at the spot of the foul. Take the time to go through the steps. If you go through the same procedure like they said, whistle, birdog, prelim signal, shots or spot, and do it in a deliberate and VOCAL manner so that everyone in the gym, especially your partner, knows what you've got, and THEN hustle to report, I imagine that soon they'll tell you that you can stop birdogging except for clarification. It's not hard to stop birdogging. When it was dropped as a mechanic, I thought I'd automatically do it anyway just as a habbit, but honestly, it was the easiest mechanic change I've ever had to make.

Roger