The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule question before the season starts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/46818-rule-question-before-season-starts.html)

stewcall Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:36am

Rule question before the season starts

I'm sure this is in the rule book- just can not find it (NFHS). A1 shoots, B1 blocks (touches the ball) Ball hits supporting wire on the basket. Who's ball is it?
thanks
Stew in Va

Adam Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewcall
I'm sure this is in the rule book- just can not find it (NFHS). A1 shoots, B1 blocks (touches the ball) Ball hits supporting wire on the basket. Who's ball is it?
thanks
Stew in Va

Think about these scenarios, Stew.

1. A1 passes, B1 tips the ball. Ball hits the ceiling.
2. A1 is dribbling and loses control. B1 tips it trying to pick it up; ball goes into the bleachers.

What's the determining factor for OOB calls?

M&M Guy Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Consistency?

Ch1town Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:51am

Dont have my book handy but I think it's under ball location or OOB. To answer your question, B1s block/touch caused the ball to hit the wire (which is OOB) so I'd give it to A for a spot throw-in on the endline.

Adam Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Consistency?

Wrong.

M&M Guy Thu Jul 31, 2008 08:53am

Quote:

Wrong.

Damn.

M&M Guy Thu Jul 31, 2008 09:01am

Quote:

thanks
Stew in Va

Stew, maybe it's an example of not seeing the forest for the trees. There are, in fact, only 10 rules in the basketball rule book. One of those (Rule 7) deals with out of bounds and the throw-in. Look at 7-1-2c, then 7-2-1.

stewcall Thu Jul 31, 2008 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Stew, maybe it's an example of not seeing the forest for the trees. There are, in fact, only 10 rules in the basketball rule book. One of those (Rule 7) deals with out of bounds and the throw-in. Look at 7-1-2c, then 7-2-1.

Yes putting those two sections together answers the question. This was my call and two seperate officials who I respect thought I missed the call stating because it was an atempt to score somehow cancelled the ball being touched by B1. Didn't make sense to me--- so to the rule book I went and the damn forest kept getting in the way
Stew in Va

justacoach Thu Jul 31, 2008 01:22pm

Quote:

Yes putting those two sections together answers the question. This was my call and two seperate officials who I respect thought I missed the call stating because it was an atempt to score somehow cancelled the ball being touched by B1. Didn't make sense to me--- so to the rule book I went and the damn forest kept getting in the way
Stew in Va

Do you still respect them?????

inigo montoya Sat Aug 02, 2008 01:16pm

Quote:

Making sure each team gets the same number of OOB throw-ins? Or is it that if it's OOB near A's bench, A gets the throw-in? I can never remember.

BillyMac Sat Aug 02, 2008 02:10pm

Thanks Coach, But We've Got It Covered ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by inigo montoya
If it's OOB near A's bench, A gets the throw-in?

I'm sure that Coach A got a better look than you, and would be more than willing to help you on the call.