The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 05:38pm
9 times

Angry

How do you deal with the dreaded blarge call? I know how we go about trying to avoid the call/problem, but how do you handle this situation in a real game when it rears its ugly head?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 06:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Stripes - no doubt some guys will just post quotes from the rulebook, but we all really know that getting this call right involves much more than just what's on a printed page.

Although this is usually quoted by many as being the toughest call, I really no longer have any problem with it. I guess it's because over the years, I have seen a bazillion of these and I got to the point years ago where the collision either "looks like a charge" or "looks like a block" to me. I suppose it just becomes instinctive after so many of them, and I'm sure it will get that way for you, too.

Here are some "words of wisdom" gleaned from various camps I have attended on this point:

1) did the defender "beat him to the spot" - if not, call the block (actually, this is a pretty good test and easy to comprehend)

2) call the block if any of the following happened at the point of contact and you won't get any "flak":

a) the defender had an arm or leg sticking out
b) the defender was moving - regardless of whether or not his movement was still legal - that's too hard for anyone to comprehend (OK, I didn't say I agree with these, only that I was told them)
c) you are in doubt - you'll be right 95% of the time anyway

3) call the charge if the ball handler had his head or shoulder down and/or initiated the contact

4) call the charge if the offensive coach is a real howler monkey, just to hear him howl so you can T his butt

OK, I made the last one up, but it's good advice anyway.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

If HS, each report the foul, go to the AP and get the ball in play as soon as posible. Don't spend any time jacking your jaws, just report and get the game going. If college get togather and Quickly decide what you are going to do and QUICKLY get the ball back in play.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 08:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't recognize you meant the play where one official calls a block and the other calls a charge on the same play.

Since my mechanics are perfect, and I only work with others who are the same, it never happens to me.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 09:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb 3 easy steps

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
How do you deal with the dreaded blarge call? I know how we go about trying to avoid the call/problem, but how do you handle this situation in a real game when it rears its ugly head?

Real easy.

1. Call your primary. If you call your primary, you will know when your partner had a better look at at call than you did. Or you will understand that is their area, and you better be sure before you call anything.

2. Make eye contact. If you are calling something that is out of your primary or in a grey area, know that your partner might be making a call too. Then when you make eye contact, revert back to who's primary the call was made out of.

3. Pregame, pregame, pregame. You better talk about these issues. When you talk about these issues, you know what to do when they happen.

These might not solve the problem, but it will make you more prepared.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
If HS, each report the foul, go to the AP and get the ball in play as soon as posible. Don't spend any time jacking your jaws, just report and get the game going. If college get togather and Quickly decide what you are going to do and QUICKLY get the ball back in play.
NO!!!!!

The double foul for a blarge call is a men's NCAA mechanic/ruling. There is nothing in the NFHS rules to support calling a double foul (unless there were two very clearly separate incidents on the play).

One of the fouls happened before the other. It is up to the calling officials to decide which happened first, and that foul gets reported.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
NO!!!!!

The double foul for a blarge call is a men's NCAA mechanic/ruling. There is nothing in the NFHS rules to support calling a double foul (unless there were two very clearly separate incidents on the play).

One of the fouls happened before the other. It is up to the calling officials to decide which happened first, and that foul gets reported.
You might want to read 4.19.7C and see if that changes your mind.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
NO!!!!!

Hmmm, a lttle help here. I know in NCAA womens the ruling
is for one of the officials to give up the call, that is,
decide block or charge and I agree that in NCAA mens you
have a double foul. Where is it written that in NFHS you
cant have the double foul?
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 09:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
NO!!!!!

Bob - personally I think that's the worst case in the book. No reflection on you for citing it, just on the NF for having such a stupid interpretation. Double fouls are suppposed to be called when two players foul each other at the same time but utilizing two fouls that are not dependent on each other for the reason there is a foul.

OK, my grammer wasn't very good in that last sentence, but here's what I mean. I would call a double foul if, for instance, A1 elbowed B1 at the same time B1 elbowed A1. They are two separate fouls that have no nexus.

But to say a block and a charge can both be called at the same time for the same act (the collision) is ludicrous. The elements of a charge preclude there being a block, and the elements of a block preclude there being a charge. If the defender was set and maintained legal guarding position, there can be no block - only a charge. If the defender either did not attain or did not maintain legal guarding position - there cannot be a charge.

I think this rule interpretation by the NF stinks and is illogical to boot.

How can you have one single play called two opposing ways? You can't have a basket be good and be not good. You can't have a violation be a violation and be not a violation.

Now - I'll tell you how I really feel about it!
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:05pm
Administrator

With my sincerest apologies to J. Dallas Shirley, there should never, and I repeat never, be a blarge in a game. Yes, there are Casebook Plays and A.R. that tell us how to handle a blarge if we have one in the game. And a blarge is, by rule, handle the same way whether the game is a H.S., men's college, or women's college game: it is a double personal foul.

But as JRutledge has already posted:

"1. Call your primary. If you call your primary, you will know when your partner had a better look at at call than you did. Or you will understand that is their area, and you better be sure before you call anything.

2. Make eye contact. If you are calling something that is out of your primary or in a grey area, know that your partner might be making a call too. Then when you make eye contact, revert back to who's primary the call was made out of.

3. Pregame, pregame, pregame. You better talk about these issues. When you talk about these issues, you know what to do when they happen."

You greatly decrease the chances of having a double whistle on a block/charge, and if you do have a double whistle, JR's posting goes a long way in making one of the whistles go away so that all you have only one foul by only player.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
With my sincerest apologies to J. Dallas Shirley, there should never, and I repeat never, be a blarge in a game. Yes, there are Casebook Plays and A.R. that tell us how to handle a blarge if we have one in the game. And a blarge is, by rule, handle the same way whether the game is a H.S., men's college, or women's college game: it is a double personal foul.
Sorry Mark, this is wrong. The women's ruling is NOT the
same as the men's, the case play associated with NCAA 6-3-1g
specifies "Men" and there's further
clarification in this bulletin, dated Dec 6 under NCAA
women's:

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_bulletins/

Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
this is the best advise for when the inevitable happens. it is best to prevent but this sometimes slips through the cracks. do not give the coaches an extra second than necessary to gripe. this is a crucial and emotional call in a good game, do not give a coach an excuse to get a T. also when this play happens (no matter how tough a play it was) be more lenient with the T. the refs screwed up so try not to penalize a coach for the crews mistake, that would make us look more like the bad guy.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Rut cited several issues that can address prevention. I think he left out the most important. RAISE YOUR FIST! Too many officials go directly to the block signal or the charge signal. If both officials would raise their fist, they would pause, make eye contact as Rut said, and someone would drop.
Two weeks ago, I had this play in a 15&U AAU Girls game, Women's NCAA rules. I'm center and the play was clearly in my area, outisde the paint. The lead blows and gives this huge block signal. I go up with a fist and give him a strong "YOU DUMBA$$!" look!

I took the call and went with the charge. I don't know what in the hell he saw! Fortunately, the fouling team was up 30 and it wasn't a problem. But we had a long debriefing after the game.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Rut cited several issues that can address prevention. I think he left out the most important. RAISE YOUR FIST! Too many officials go directly to the block signal or the charge signal. If both officials would raise their fist, they would pause, make eye contact as Rut said, and someone would drop.
Two weeks ago, I had this play in a 15&U AAU Girls game, Women's NCAA rules. I'm center and the play was clearly in my area, outisde the paint. The lead blows and gives this huge block signal. I go up with a fist and give him a strong "YOU DUMBA$$!" look!

I took the call and went with the charge. I don't know what in the hell he saw! Fortunately, the fouling team was up 30 and it wasn't a problem. But we had a long debriefing after the game.
this does not sound like good partnering
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
NO!!!!!

Bob:

My reading of 4.19.7C says the ball "has been released". I don't see that in the original post. Are you reading this differently? Just curious.