The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Billy "Giblethead" Packer strikes again. KU vs. Maryland. With Maryland in the lead by 17 late, he says they should keep running and wear Kansas down. Two minutes later, he admonishes them for not setting up and using the clock.

Then, in the last minute when Kansas requested their excessive timeout, he said that Roy Williams wanted to know "who the technical was on" because one of the players who requested it had four fouls and "technicals are personals and he would be gone."

Then, as the Maryland player was shooting the technical, our genius said it would be better if he had some teammates along the lane to simulate a real free throw so he "wouldn't feel so alone out there."

And they pay this guy? Pathetic!

Someone should puke on his shoes. Any volunteers?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Okay, okay, I confess!!

I had the chance to puke on Billy Packer's shoes . . . and I didn't.

I just hope that the group here can accept my sincere apology.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Okay, okay, I confess!!

I had the chance to puke on Billy Packer's shoes . . . and I didn't.

I just hope that the group here can accept my sincere apology.
Please tell me you at least stared at his pants.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Packer for Moron

Nothing to do with officiating or rules but did you here him in the first half when a player left a short, finger-roll type shot way short? "He thought he was closer to the basket!!" Duh.

Actually, I think Packer (and his clones) do the game a great disservice by pretending to know something of the rules of the game. How many times have you been yelled at by some lower level coach who wants you to call an imagined violation or foul because Packer said something about it on TV last week.
I continue to maintain that TV coverage of college and pro sports is the single worst thing to happen to high school sports in my lifetime.

[Edited by Tom Cook on Mar 31st, 2002 at 07:15 AM]
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Then, in the last minute when Kansas requested their excessive timeout, he said that Roy Williams wanted to know "who the technical was on" because one of the players who requested it had four fouls and "technicals are personals and he would be gone."
At this point, I was screaming at the TV!! Thank goodness I didn't have anything in my hand!

What a moron.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain Bsktball Ref, I too was screaming at the T.V. Does anyone need a third for a third grade girls rec tilt next year? I heard Billy Packer might have a spot available in his schedule.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 12:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Women's Semi-final

Two announcers that have seen this game before Saturday.

Mike "something" (anyway it was a man)and Ann Meyer announcing:

• Driving player ran into a retreating defender and PC was called - Mike: " Yes... even though the defender was moving that can still be a player control."

• Driving player going into the lane, a little contact and no call - Ann: "There may have been some contact, but the player was so out of control the officials didn't have a call."

• Driving player with a defender right on her - Ann: "It looked like she could have drawn the block, but she backed off and never finished."

Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 02:17pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Question Again.....

What the hell do you expect?

You are dealing with former coaches, players and media people. All of them do not know what a rulebook is. All of them grew up thinking that "over the back" and the a screen must be completely set. And if they do think they know anything, they do not set down and talk to officials to find out. And it does not help that officials never talk to the media about anything. So they probably do not spend anytime getting rulings or real rulebook terms that they can actually use in a telecast.

Maybe this is why officials should be able to talk to the media in some capacity. I think it can help to diffuse the myths and curb the misinformation that comes from these guys. There was a time that I think talking to the media was a bad thing, but we are now in the 24 hours, all the time sports coverage. Sports Radio Talk Shows that run off at the mouth about everything. I think there needs to be some way to discuss rulings with officials, or have someone that represents them be able to talk about what is called. But that would just be a dream that everything could work out. It might be a disaster. But who knows, that is life right?

But to expect anything better from these guys is ridiculous. But I will give Packer and others credit, they do know their X's and O's. But they sure as hell do not know the rules.

Peace
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 02:52pm
    Official Forum Member

I had to laugh when Jim Nantz described a screen in the 2nd half of the IU-OU game. An IU player set a screen in the backcourt which Price (OU) never saw. Nantz said that the officials didn't see it (idiotic comment of the year) and then he and Packer argued as to wether it was a foul or not. I must admit that Packer was right on that one, he said there was no foul. I think Nantz felt the foul should have been on Price. I still can't believe that Nantz made that comment about not seeing it. What else would the trail have beeen looking at, the pretty girl at courtside?
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 03:14pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Please tell me you at least stared at his pants.
    I'm going to take the "D.C. route" here and refuse to comment. I will, however, issue this statement:

"Mark neither confirms nor denies puking on Billy Packer's shoes or staring at Packer's pants. Thank you very much."
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 03:38pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Smile I heard that conversation too.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jay R
    I had to laugh when Jim Nantz described a screen in the 2nd half of the IU-OU game. An IU player set a screen in the backcourt which Price (OU) never saw. Nantz said that the officials didn't see it (idiotic comment of the year) and then he and Packer argued as to wether it was a foul or not. I must admit that Packer was right on that one, he said there was no foul. I think Nantz felt the foul should have been on Price. I still can't believe that Nantz made that comment about not seeing it. What else would the trail have beeen looking at, the pretty girl at courtside?
    I noticed that too. My jaw hit the floor out of laughter.

Peace
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 06:08pm
    Official Forum Member

The best solution might be to have the NBA or NCAA do those one minute ruling that the NFL does. They show a play and the official describes the proper ruling.
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 07:14pm
    Official Forum Member

Bart, that may be the best idea. I agree with Rutledge that in a perfect world officials should be given a chance to explain some calls. But, in a press conference situation the questions would keep coming until one came up that the officials didn't remember or the officials would have to say "no more questions" and leave which would look to the Packer crowd like they were ducking questions. It would become a no win situation for the officials.
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 08:07pm
    certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb here's an idea (hence the

Let's suggest to CBS (the "Commentator Bullsh*t System") that after each televised game, Billy "Giblethead" Packer be require to hold a news conference where only officials get to ask him questions about his asinine comments?

I'd even pay to get to do that.
    Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 08:50pm
    Official Forum Member

Mark thats the best idea i have heard. Only one problem, Pack would start going off and rattling on where no one would be able to understand him.