The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

A while ago, somebody posted the he/she had a list of the most commonly misunderstood rules in basketball. Could somebody please post the entire list if they he or she has it?

If not, could we create our own?

Joe
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Visit my website where I have an older list of these rules.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

The most misunderstood rule by coaches, players and fans is that the referee is always right.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Joe, I was the one who posted the remarks about the misunderstood rules. I am trying to pull them together so I can put them on this site for you. I have toyed with the thought of doing a booklet or book for players, coaches and fans. What do you guys think? I could probably sell them for $1 or $2 before youth games, huh? Maybe I'm just dreamin'...somebody pinch me and wake me up.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if any of you have seen the ads in Referee magazine for a board game call "Rules of the Game" or not. It has rules from all sports and has a web site the play of day. check it out at: rulesofthegame.net
....it's right up our alley.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Joe, The Key is to watch the defense. There is no time&distance with the dribbler. Did the defender beat the dribbler to the spot. Keep in mind there can be contact and no foul. As far as moving a shoulder into the dribbler-this is not legal guarding. Depending on the play, advantage, depends on if i call a foul on the defense
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Art -

Fans know it all ...don't need a book *grin*

Going to website. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-14-2000 10:50 PM
I don't know if any of you have seen the ads in Referee magazine for a board game call "Rules of the Game" or not. It has rules from all sports and has a web site the play of day. check it out at: rulesofthegame.net
....it's right up our alley.

I got it for Christmas! It's fun. There are a lot of unconventional twists in the descriptions of plays.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Tim -

Thanks for the list on your webpage. One question, though. The page says:

quote:
From Tim's webpage of rules misconceptions:
Block/Charge. Many people think that a guard has to allow a dribbler a step or two, or be planted like a tree to draw a charge. Many times I call a charge, the coach jumps up and says, "He was moving, ref!" I say, "Yeah, I know. You and I saw the same thing." See Rule 4 in the Federation Rulebook under guarding for an explanation on this one. My point is, you can be moving and take a charge. A defensive player must establish his position by having both feet on the floor and facing the opponent. Once that is established, he can move backwards, sideways, or at an angle, jump strait up, or duck and take a charge. He cannot move forward, stick out a knee or arm to try to trip or stop the dribbler. He must take the contact on the upper part of the body.

I thought that a player who moved his torso sideways to inhibit a dribbler was committing a foul. Was I wrong? I've often seen players realize that they weren't going to make the contact they expected, and so they basically throw the shoulder sideways a couple inches (without moving the feet.) This isn't a foul?

Joe
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

I agree with both Todd and Bart. Block/Charge I believe is the most difficult in Basketball, but it can be made easier by watching the defense, as Bart stated. Todd's explanation of guarding was very good as well! What I drew from your comment Todd was that you have to ask yourself, "Who caused the contact? Who was at the spot first?"
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Joe, you are right. See the principal of verticality. If you ain't vertical then your blocking.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JoeT on 02-15-2000 11:25 AM
I thought that a player who moved his torso sideways to inhibit a dribbler was committing a foul. Was I wrong?
Joe

If the defense's feet stay put on the floor, but he leans sideways to "ensure" the contact, it's a blocking foul. But once in a legal guarding position, moving his feet, and hence his entire body, sideways is just good defense. If the resulting contact is on the torso/chest, it's player-control. But if the offense was quicker and got somewhat past the "D" before contact (usually on the shoulder or side of body), then it's a blocking foul. Bottom line is that, yes, the defense CAN move sideways legally to stay with the dribbler (and had better if he wants the coach to keep him in the game).