The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Top 10 Signs An NBA Game Is Fixed (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/45410-top-10-signs-nba-game-fixed.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 12, 2008 09:32pm

Top 10 Signs An NBA Game Is Fixed

Here's a link to Letterman's Top 10 Signs An NBA Game Is Fixed. When the page loads, click on Late Night - The Late Show then the Top Ten icon on the right side for 6.11. This is a link to CBS through their Portland affiliate's website and is perfectly "legal". BTW - my favorite is number 6.

http://www.koin.com/content/cbsshows/default.aspx

just another ref Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58pm

1A Winning basket waved off because of a traveling violation.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 13, 2008 05:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
1 A basket waved off because of a traveling violation.

Fixed it for ya.....

grunewar Fri Jun 13, 2008 05:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Fixed it for ya.....

Not speaking for JAR, but I interpreted his comment to mean 1(A) Winning basket waved off because of a traveling violation.

Raymond Fri Jun 13, 2008 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
Not speaking for JAR, but I interpreted his comment to mean 1(A) Winning basket waved off because of a traveling violation.

Jurassic wasn't fixing the 1A part. He was editing the portion that included the word winning.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jun 13, 2008 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Jurassic wasn't fixing the 1A part. He was editing the portion that included the word winning.

'Zactly.

I'm shocked whenever I see traveling called. Shocked, I tell ya.:)

grunewar Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

Got it! I guess that's why I'll never be Mr. Grammar Guy! ;)

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12pm

Ya' know - I don't see what the big deal is even if the games are officiated to "help" a certain team win resulting in more revenue for the organization. This is TELEVISION, people. The NBA is really the NBE and anyone who thinks otherwise is very naive. Of course, the officials and the league have a hard job because if they are too obvious, then a lot of people will stop watching, so they have to "balance" their activities to make it appear the games are determined "properly".

Maybe they should just show a disclaimer prior to games and then everyone will "get it".

Mark Dexter Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
'Zactly.

I'm shocked whenever I see traveling called. Shocked, I tell ya.:)

While watching a highlight on SportsCenter a few days ago, a player took either 4 or 5 steps (without dribbling) on an open path to the basket. Even my roommates turned to me on that one and said "didn't he travel????"

Dan_ref Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
While watching a highlight on SportsCenter a few days ago, a player took either 4 or 5 steps (without dribbling) on an open path to the basket. Even my roommates turned to me on that one and said "didn't he travel????"

No big deal. It was outside everyone's primary.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38pm

BTW - you might want to check out the monologue from 6.12 on the same website. Letterman's first two jokes are about the NBA.

JugglingReferee Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
No big deal. It was outside everyone's primary.

Bavetta learned long ago about the popcorn guy and his primary. :D

NYBLUE Fri Jun 13, 2008 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Ya' know - I don't see what the big deal is even if the games are officiated to "help" a certain team win resulting in more revenue for the organization. This is TELEVISION, people. The NBA is really the NBE and anyone who thinks otherwise is very naive. Of course, the officials and the league have a hard job because if they are too obvious, then a lot of people will stop watching, so they have to "balance" their activities to make it appear the games are determined "properly".

Maybe they should just show a disclaimer prior to games and then everyone will "get it".

How about....

It calls into question the integrity of the game and of the officials.

Camron Rust Fri Jun 13, 2008 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYBLUE
How about....

If you accept that it really is a game and they're officiating it. Could it all be just a intricately choreographed production that merely imitates a game?

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 13, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYBLUE
How about....

You're assuming there is integrity in the NBA's game. It's ENTERTAINMENT!!! It's like watching a movie.