The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of Game Technical Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/45338-delay-game-technical-fouls.html)

ajs8207 Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:23pm

Delay of Game Technical Fouls

Are delay of game technical fouls charged directly to the player?

JRutledge Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207

These are administrative in nature, the foul goes to the Team, not any one player or coach. The technical foul does apply to bonus FT count as well.

Peace

Adam Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:30pm

What Rut meant to say is, "No."

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:33pm

Technically (pun intended), isn't it a delay of game technical when a defender reaches over the boundary line and strikes the ball while it is being held by an inbounding player? That technical foul is charged directly to the player. Of course, if he doesn't touch the ball and it is the second delay violation (following a warning against that team), the technical is not charged directly to the player.

JRutledge Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Technically (pun intended), isn't it a delay of game technical when a defender reaches over the boundary line and strikes the ball while it is being held by an inbounding player? That technical foul is charged directly to the player. Of course, if he doesn't touch the ball and it is the second delay violation (following a warning against that team), the technical is not charged directly to the player.

Yes. :D

Peace

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

The answer is "yes" and "no".

It depends on the type of delay. You have delays listed under NFHS rules 10-1-5, 9 & 10 which are charged to a team. You also have delays listed under NFHS rules 10-3-6 & 11 which are charged to the player. You have to learn the different situations and the appropriate penalty for each.

Adam Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The answer is "yes" and "no".

It depends on the type of delay. You have delays listed under NFHS rules 10-1-5, 9 & 10 which are charged to a team. You also have delays listed under NFHS rules 10-3-6 & 11 which are charged to the player. You have to learn the different situations and the appropriate penalty for each.

I agree with Nevada.

icallfouls Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:49pm

Quote:

Yes, in college. No, in NFHS. Note the exeptions from the old ref

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I agree with Nevada.

Oh my.....

I'm not completely sure, but I have a feeling that I might just have been dumped on.

Are you really comparing me to an evil Barney Fife?

I always kind of thought of myself more as a Floyd the Barber type. You know, easy going, well-mannered......

Adam Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:56pm

Quote:

Oh my.....

I'm not completely sure, but I have a feeling that I might just have been dumped on.

I always kind of thought of myself more as a Floyd the Barber type. You know, easy going, well-mannered......

Holding a razor blade?

M&M Guy Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:56pm

Quote:

...a little slow...nice haircut, though...

Dan_ref Tue Jun 10, 2008 05:51pm

Quote:

Oh my.....

I always kind of thought of myself more as a <s>Floyd</s> Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber type. You know, easy going, well-mannered......

...evil type

Camron Rust Tue Jun 10, 2008 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Not correct. Touching the ball is NOT a delay of game T. It is a personal T. It does, however, come with a simultaneous delay of game warning for any subsequent DOG violations.

BillyMac Tue Jun 10, 2008 06:49pm

Jurassic Referee's Citations ...

NFHS rules 10-1-5, 9 & 10
Art. 5... Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:
a. When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half.
b. Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play. See 7-5-1 and 8-1-2 for the resumption-of-play procedure to use after a time-out or the intermission between quarters. The procedure is used prior to charging a technical foul in these specific situations.
c. Contact with the free thrower or a huddle of two or more players by either team prior to a free throw following any team warning for delay.
d. Interfering with the ball following a goal after any team warning for delay.
e. Not having the court ready for play following any time-out after any team warning for delay.
Art. 9... Fail to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission.
Art. 10... Following any team warning for delay, commit a violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane as in 9-2-11.

10-3-6 & 11
Art. 6... Delay the game by acts such as:
a. Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.
b. Failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a violation or foul is called.
c. The free thrower fails to be in the free-throw semicircle when the official is ready to administer the free throw unless the resumption-of-play procedure is in effect following a time-out or intermission.
d. Repeated violations of the throw-in, as in 9-2-9, 10.
Art. 11... Reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch or dislodge the ball as in 9-2 Penalty 3.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 10, 2008 07:04pm

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I agree with Nevada.

Quote:

Oh my.....

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/spit.gif