The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've been lucky in that I've only experienced two athletic injuries in my life. One was because this foul wasn't called. The official didn't believe that this is a foul, because the contact was "so minor". In the end, the offender backed me down, jumped up for a turn-around jumper, came down oddly, and landed on my ankle. Crutches for 3 weeks.

Call the foul! It's quite an easy call.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So could you tell us what - in your mind- IS worthy of an offensive foul?? Seems to me that this is exactly what the case book and rule books talk about when referring to the offensive player "backing down" the defender. Had this been called even once in the first half, this little lizard would never have grown into the dinosaur that it became.
Your keyboard is broken btw. All sorts of type sizes coming out of it.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Seems to me that this is exactly what the case book and rule books talk about when referring to the offensive player "backing down" the defender.
POE 3 in the 2007-08 rule book:

3. DISPLACEMENT:
Displacement is a foul and must be called.
A. POST PLAY. When a player dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or "backing in", it is a foul."

Couldn't be clearer. The exact same POE has been put in the rulebook several times recently. Now we know why.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Run for your lives!!!

The dinosaur and I are in complete agreement, which has to be one of the signs of the end of the world.
And I just saw these guys outside my window!!! What's next - Billy Packer actually saying something intelligent? Naw - that's way too impossible.

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Your keyboard is broken btw. All sorts of type sizes coming out of it.
I put in a work order...the IT department told me to STFU. How rude!!
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I put in a work order...the IT department told me to STFU. How rude!!
Now we know where Dan works. I'd have never guessed it.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Now we know where Dan works. I'd have never guessed it.
STFU
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Well, then. I stand corrected.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
STFU
Only took him 5 minutes to type all that! He's getting good with all this new-fangled computery stuff.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only took him 5 minutes to type all that! He's getting good with all this new-fangled computery stuff.
Great, now I gotta wipe the diet pepsi off my screen yet again...

I've got to (reluctantly) point out the coach might actually be somewhat smart in trying this tactic. First off, he is absolutely correct in asking for a foul initially on the backing down. It's not only a POE with the NFHS, but it's also a POE at the NCAA-W level. (I'm not sure about NCAA-M, but it wouldn't surprise me.) But I'm also not entirely convinced having his player take that stance is unsporting. In NFHS, B1 is entitled to a spot on the floor, whether standing or lying down. If B1 takes that position after A1 receives the ball, there are no time and distance in screening requirements. If B1 were to trip and go down, then A1 falls over B1, wouldn't we (probably) call travelling? Why would we call a T if B1 takes the same position intentionally? Why do penalize B for taking a legal position, and A is not aware of the position of their defender?

Ok, I agree it's not really a "basketball play", and I wouldn't argue too strenuously if a partner called a T. But I'm still impressed the coach knew enough about the rules to give it a shot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My first thought is an (leaving aside the valid point regarding the apparently missed PC calls) intentional foul. B1 is intentionally tripping A1.

That said, I understand the point about the rule not really having a provision for a foul here. B1 is stationary and not holding an illegal position. My only thought is the "purpose and intent" clause, not allowing a player to gain an unfair advantage not intended by the rules. I can't help but think of this move as an unfair tactic gaining an unfair advantage by tripping a "blind" opponent.

I'm still not sure my initial thought is correct.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

And I don't entirely disagree with your line of thinking; it's not a basketball play. However, B1 is not moving, and is certainly not initiating the contact, given the play we are discussing. It's another point entirely if B1 were to slide or roll into the back of A1's legs.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Why am I getting a sense of deja vu here?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Why am I getting a sense of deja vu here?
Yeah, me too.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
But I'm also not entirely convinced having his player take that stance is unsporting. In NFHS, B1 is entitled to a spot on the floor, whether standing or lying down. If B1 takes that position after A1 receives the ball, there are no time and distance in screening requirements. If B1 were to trip and go down, then A1 falls over B1, wouldn't we (probably) call traveling? Why would we call a T if B1 takes the same position intentionally? Why do penalize B for taking a legal position, and A is not aware of the position of their defender?
Personally, I wouldn't deem the action "unsporting". Instead, I'd call it "illegal", using the concept outlined in FED rule 10-6-1--"A player shall not hold, push charge, TRIP or impede the progress of an opponent by.... bending his/her body into other than a normal position, nor use any rough tactics." Going to the floor like that is not a normal position and it sureasheck is "rough tactics" to deliberately trip an opponent. That's close enough for me.

The other point is that I don't think that you can call a "T". It would have to be a personal foul of some kind, most likely an intentional personal foul.

My take on it......intentional personal foul. But I sureasheck ain't ever gonna make a call like that if I've let the post player get away with forcefully pushing/bouncing a defender off a legal position. That's called adding insult to injury.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 03:11pm.