The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Got my rankings for this season

Hey! I got my rankings after my first season back after an 8 year time off.

I did two varsity games and got three rankings...1 to 5 scale (1 being tournament quality) and was rated an average of 1.25. SWEET! (These were my first two varsity games and have been informed that I'll get a much better schedule next season.

I did a TON of JV games and some Frosh games. Michigan also rates sub-varsity. This was weird...

For boys, I received six rankings...a 1, four 2's and one THREE (with a improvement code of call consistency)!

For girls, I received four rankings...three 1's and a 2.

Having coaches rank you can be frustrating. I probably know who the coach was that gave me a three...a specific coach that I T'd.

Anyway...after my first season back and getting back in the groove (as well as breaking into varsity), I'm pretty excited and happy. It's just weird to get better rankings at the Varsity level then the JV. I did more JV games, though...maybe that's the rub.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Enjoy your improved schedule this coming season, but don't worry about what the coaches think of you. In the big picture their opinion is not what's important.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Hey! I got my rankings after my first season back after an 8 year time off.

I did two varsity games and got three rankings...1 to 5 scale (1 being tournament quality) and was rated an average of 1.25. SWEET! (These were my first two varsity games and have been informed that I'll get a much better schedule next season.

I did a TON of JV games and some Frosh games. Michigan also rates sub-varsity. This was weird...

For boys, I received six rankings...a 1, four 2's and one THREE (with a improvement code of call consistency)!

For girls, I received four rankings...three 1's and a 2.

Having coaches rank you can be frustrating. I probably know who the coach was that gave me a three...a specific coach that I T'd.

Anyway...after my first season back and getting back in the groove (as well as breaking into varsity), I'm pretty excited and happy. It's just weird to get better rankings at the Varsity level then the JV. I did more JV games, though...maybe that's the rub.
We get our rankings and laugh every season. As if the coaches think they are influencing me or (it appears) the state with their uninformed opinions....
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Enjoy your improved schedule this coming season, but don't worry about what the coaches think of you. In the big picture their opinion is not what's important.
Accept in his world they get to rank him, which has an impact on his schedule, which you just congratulated him on improving due to his coaches ratings.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Are you saying that the coach who he T'd who then ranked him poorly had a great impact upon his upcoming schedule? I don't.

His ability as an official is what got him an improved schedule, not the thoughts of the coaches.

Of course, it is a shame that his state allows coaches to rate officials and even worse if they put any kind of weight on that.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the coach who he T'd who then ranked him poorly had a great impact upon his upcoming schedule? I don't.
I have no idea either way. Maybe you know the details.
Quote:

His ability as an official is what got him an improved schedule, not the thoughts of the coaches.

Of course, it is a shame that his state allows coaches to rate officials and even worse if they put any kind of weight on that.
If the thoughts of the coaches have no impact then why is it a shame to let them rate?
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 06:13pm
Huck Finn

I live in a state where coaches get to rank officials. I got marked down on some of the rankings and it didn't keep me from going to state. Hopefully, the assigner is someone who realizes what happens when a frustrated coach has the power to rank an official. It is total BS.

To the OP, your lower rankings for the JV games was probably a result of immature coaches who don't really know what they are doing. At least they don't know what they are doing as much as the varsity coaches should.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 05:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
To the OP, your lower rankings for the JV games was probably a result of immature coaches who don't really know what they are doing. At least they don't know what they are doing as much as the varsity coaches should.
I dunno about the "immature" tag [maybe I would use younger, inexperienced, newer, less knowledgeable], but otherwise, I agree.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If the thoughts of the coaches have no impact then why is it a shame to let them rate?
My opinion is that a belief by the coaches that they have any kind of right to evaluate the performance of the game officials is a shame. It forms the very root of the problem.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My opinion is that a belief by the coaches that they have any kind of right to evaluate the performance of the game officials is a shame. It forms the very root of the problem.
I agree here. Most of the coaches that I officiated for were great people. I have a few "terds" and had to deal with them.

Overall, I'm excited for a new season. I'm disappointed that I can't attend a camp this year...just too busy being a youth pastor...but I hope to next year. In the long run, it's probably better anyway. I officiate varsity for smaller schools and JV/Frosh for the upper divisions in Southeastern Michigan. Give me another year under my belt with lower division varsity and more upper division work...I should be well-positioned in 2009-2010 to gain some varsity contests in the upper divisions. I'll get to know more people along the way with this path.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The very root of what problem?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This forms the heart of a personal rule I have:

Any discussion of ratings or trying to influence my schedule is a flagrant technical (or ejection in baseball). I figure if the coach is going to try to screw with my ability to work, well, why do I need to keep him around? I've only had this happen twice in my career, but both times the coach was shown the gate.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The very root of what problem?
Hair loss.

What do think that we are talking about?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
They do have that right in Michigan.
The MHSAA is directed by the desires of the member schools or their representatives.
The Officials are only independent Subcontractors.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
They do have that right in Michigan.
The MHSAA is directed by the desires of the member schools or their representatives.
The Officials are only independent Subcontractors.
You're right on, Mick. While my regular season schedule may/may not be impacted by ratings (in the bigger associations they are, as I don't know the "big wigs" in my larger association yet)...tournament selections ARE. The MHSAA weighs the coaches ratings HIGHLY when it comes to tournament invitations.

Now...with three games at the varsity level last season, it's not like I'm expecting to be chosen for the tournament any time soon. I DO hope in the next five years or so, however. We'll see how it pans out. But...rankings DEFINITELY play in Michigan.