The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What call would you make? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44882-what-call-would-you-make.html)

RANCHMAN Fri May 30, 2008 01:06pm

What call would you make?

Situation one: A1 attempting a three point shot, and is basically run over by B1 who is attempting to block the shot. What would I call if 1. the ball has left the shooters hands, but has not contacted the goal yet when contact was made. 2. the ball has left the shooters hands, and the basket has already been made, or missed when the contact occurs.
Thank you

Raymond Fri May 30, 2008 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANCHMAN
Situation one: A1 attempting a three point shot, and is basically run over by B1 who is attempting to block the shot. What would I call if 1. the ball has left the shooters hands, but has not contacted the goal yet when contact was made. 2. the ball has left the shooters hands, and the basket has already been made, or missed when the contact occurs.
Thank you

Whether or not the ball has reached the goal is not germaine to this situation.

(And it's not Michael, Jackie, Tito, or Randy either :D )

Da Official Fri May 30, 2008 01:15pm

Quote:

Thank you

We would obviously need more information, such as was it a jump shot, was the shooter in the air or touching the floor when this contact occurred.

With more info we would review Rule 4.1 on Airborne Shooter.

Ch1town Fri May 30, 2008 01:17pm

Quote:

Thank you

By rule, the shooter is no longer airborne once the foot contacts the floor. Your ruling should be based upon that fact rather than the location of the ball.

Mark Padgett Fri May 30, 2008 01:20pm

If the shooter was still in the air, it's an illegal chop block. If the shooter had already returned to the ground, it's a technical for icing or possibly a balk.

See what happens when I can't find my meds. :o

RANCHMAN Fri May 30, 2008 01:25pm

Sorry for the lack of information. The shooter has already returned to the floor when contact is made

Ch1town Fri May 30, 2008 01:29pm

Now you have made it easy for yourself to rule correctly. Is the player in the act of shooting after they land?

Raymond Fri May 30, 2008 01:32pm

Quote:

Sorry for the lack of information. The shooter has already returned to the floor when contact is made

Well then, if you judge that the contact put A1 at a disadvantage then you blow the whistle for a common foul and put the ball OOB, shoot 1+1 (fouls 7-9), or shoot double bonus (10+ fouls).

Now, to be nit-picky, it would make a difference if the ball has already gone through the net on a successful try. If the contact happens before it is at Team B's disposal then you could have a techninal foul if you determine the contact is intentional or flagrant.

Adam Fri May 30, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Thank you

1. If the shooter has landed prior to contact, he's no longer a shooter, and this is a common foul.

2a. If the basket is made prior to contact, it should be ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (in which case the correct call would be the appropriate technical foul).

2b. If the basket is clearly missed prior to the foul, then the answer is the same as #1.

RANCHMAN Fri May 30, 2008 01:40pm

Thank you for your help, it is great for me to be able to go to this forum, and get good information. I just want to be a better official....
Take care,
Mark
Huntsville, Texas

Raymond Fri May 30, 2008 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
2a. If the basket is made prior to contact, it should be ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (in which case the correct call would be the appropriate technical foul).

As long as the ball is not at Team B's disposal (such as if the ball is grabbed immediately as it comes through net by Team B).

Ch1town Fri May 30, 2008 01:47pm

Quote:

I just want to be a better official....

Sorry RANCHMAN but you'll have to relocate to SoCal in order to do that :D

Camron Rust Fri May 30, 2008 01:48pm

Quote:

Thank you

Regarding #2...If B1 runs over A1 after a 3-point shot is actually made, that is a really late contact. If B1 is still coming at A1 that aggressivly after the shot is that far gone, you might consider an intentional. I'd certainly call a minimum of a common foul if only because the contact as described sound like rough play.

rockyroad Fri May 30, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Regarding #2...If B1 runs over A1 after a 3-point shot is actually made, that is a really late contact. If B1 is still coming at A1 that aggressivly after the shot is that far gone, you might consider an intentional. I'd certainly call a minimum of a common foul if only because the contact as described sound like rough play.

My thoughts also...if it's a 3-pointer and had already gone in, that's a long time that has passed to now be running into a player and knocking them down. :eek: I'm thinking that's gotta be called.

Adam Fri May 30, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
As long as the ball is not at Team B's disposal (such as if the ball is grabbed immediately as it comes through net by Team B).

When the ball is at the disposal, the five second count should begin. The ball essentially becomes live when the five second count starts.
If you're starting your count that early, ok, but I don't start my count until the thrower has it out of bounds.