The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Baseball's version of a BLARGE (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44642-baseballs-version-blarge.html)

eyezen Fri May 23, 2008 08:41am

Baseball's version of a BLARGE

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/...ut625may23.jpg

Dan_ref Fri May 23, 2008 08:46am

Looks like the original cast from Damn Yankees

You've gotta have heart
Miles 'n miles n' miles of heart
Oh, it's fine to be a genius of course
But keep that old horse
Before the cart

Scrapper1 Fri May 23, 2008 09:01am

That's nothing. I once saw a MLB umpire signal safe and out at the same time on an attempted steal. The right arm went up with a fist and the left arm went out in a safe signal. Absolutely hysterical.

BigTex Fri May 23, 2008 09:02am

It is always best to have an odd number of umpires at any given base. That way there is always someone to break the tie.

JugglingReferee Fri May 23, 2008 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
That's nothing. I once saw a MLB umpire signal safe and out at the same time on an attempted steal. The right arm went up with a fist and the left arm went out in a safe signal. Absolutely hysterical.

I once (maybe twice?) yelled out "offense" and gave the block signal. :eek:

Every year when football ends, and basketball starts, I make it a point to remind myself not to wave my arms above my head when the ball carrier steps out of bounds. I've done that twice! :eek:

I'm sure there are others...

Dan_ref Fri May 23, 2008 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex
It is always best to have an odd number of umpires at any given base. That way there is always someone to break the tie.

C'mon... everybody knows tie goes to the runner

Back In The Saddle Fri May 23, 2008 10:11am

I thought the first one to the table won? :confused:

Camron Rust Fri May 23, 2008 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I once (maybe twice?) yelled out "offense" and gave the block signal. :eek:

I got you beat on that one...

I once put my hand behind my head and the other hand on my hip....

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/26958...5A1E4F32AD3138

Mark Padgett Fri May 23, 2008 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I got you beat on that one...

I once put my hand behind my head and the other hand on my hip....

Camron, we're talking about officiating, not your last school dance. :p

JRutledge Fri May 23, 2008 11:39am

Something tells me Camron was not doing this dance. :D

You dip I dip we dip

Peace

Mark Padgett Fri May 23, 2008 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Something tells me Camron was not doing this dance. :D

You dip I dip we dip

Peace

Great video, Rut. You're the guy in the Elvis suit, right? :D

canuckrefguy Fri May 23, 2008 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen

Hmmmm - how do you go to AP on that one? :confused:

BillyMac Fri May 23, 2008 05:32pm

Tie ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Everybody knows tie goes to the runner

Baseball umpires: I heard that this is not completely true. Is it?

Here's what I heard. Keep in mind that I only officiate basketball, but I'm a baseball fan, and my children have played baseball ,or softball.

THE TIE RULE MYTH

There is no such thing in the world of umpiring. The runner is either out or safe. The umpire must judge out or safe. It is impossible to judge a tie. Lets look at the rules (OBR) 6.05 deals with a batter becoming a runner and 7.08 deals with a runner going to 2nd, 3rd, or Home.

6.05 A batter is out when: After he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base.
Here, as it relates to time, the rule states the runner must be tagged before he touches first base. So if they were to happen at the same time, the runner would be safe because the runner was not tagged “before”.

7.08 Any runner is out when: He fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner. Here it states that the runner must reach the base before the ball, thus a perception of time being a tie, the runner would be out.

With my limited knowledge of baseball rules, I have concluded that a tie goes to runner at first, and tie goes to fielders at the other bases.

JRutledge Fri May 23, 2008 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Baseball umpires: I heard that this is not completely true. Is it?

Here's what I heard. Keep in mind that I only officiate basketball, but I'm a baseball fan, and my children have played baseball ,or softball.

THE TIE RULE MYTH

With my limited knowledge of baseball rules, I have concluded that a tie goes to runner at first, and tie goes to fielders at the other bases.

There is a common term we use in umpiring about ties. "The tie goes to the umpire." And as you quoted the rule if a runner does not beat the force play or tag play, they are not safe. So they will be out if the umpire is worth their salt. And for the record it does not matter if this takes place at first base or at third, if the runner does not beat a tag or force, they are out. ;)

Peace

Adam Fri May 23, 2008 06:33pm

Hey Mods, Dan did that on purpose. Just thought you should know.