The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arbiter/Referee offer? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44641-arbiter-referee-offer.html)

Scrapper1 Fri May 23, 2008 08:00am

Arbiter/Referee offer?

I got an email from a certain officiating magazine yesterday. It was supposedly offered to people who use the Arbiter assigning website. It offered the magazine for $20/yr.

1) What's the usual subscription for the magazine?

2) Anybody else use the Arbiter and get this email?

Dan_ref Fri May 23, 2008 08:12am

1. I get it through the NASO package, which includes the magazine & other benefits such as a guarantee to get my 72 virgins when I go to heaven without using the traditional messy method. I think it's like 60 or 70 bucks per yr.

2. Not me, probably because I get the mag already.

ILRef80 Fri May 23, 2008 10:06am

1) I paid $29.95 for an annual subscription in January.

2) I got the email as well. I'm going to see if they will renew my subscription for 2009 at that rate.

Back In The Saddle Fri May 23, 2008 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I got an email from a certain officiating magazine yesterday. It was supposedly offered to people who use the Arbiter assigning website. It offered the magazine for $20/yr.

1) What's the usual subscription for the magazine?

2) Anybody else use the Arbiter and get this email?

1) Usual subscription price, according to the website of a certain officiating magazine, is $44.95. I don't recall ever paying that much for it. But these days I get it as part of my NASO subscription, which is now about $1,239,483.12 / year. But it includes liability insurance which will come in handy the next time some idiot parent sues me for ruining little Johnny's chance for a full-ride D1 scholarship at that vitally important 3-4th grade "showcase" game. Or even the next time my offer of a Red Stripe beer is misunderstood.

2) Yeah, I got the email too.

Nevadaref Fri May 23, 2008 09:33pm

Anyone have a problem with the people who run the arbiter system using the personal information of officials on the system to market a product for another company through what has to be a corporate agreement?

If your association uses arbiter for assigning do you have to agree to receive these solicitations?

BktBallRef Fri May 23, 2008 10:04pm

I got it as well.

One of the things I don't like about Referee is that they offer a your intial subscription at a low $20-$30 rate then hit you for 44.95 to re-sub.

Mark Padgett Fri May 23, 2008 10:25pm

The only magazine I get is "Chicks And Ammo". :p

PilotUmp Fri May 23, 2008 11:59pm

One of my associations uses it, and I didn't get the email.

Welpe Sat May 24, 2008 01:34am

I received the e-mail too but I already receive Referee as I'm a NASO member. It looks like they are sending this offer to people that have signed up for a MyReferee profile through The Arbiter.

Here is a message at the bottom of the e-mail:

"You are receiving this e-mail because you are a MyReferee user. If you would not like to receive promotional offers in the future, please log in to TheArbiter.net, click the MyReferee Profile link, and select the opt-out option."

So it appears there is an opt out option on receving advertisements.

Nevadaref Sat May 24, 2008 04:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe
It looks like they are sending this offer to people that have signed up for a MyReferee profile through The Arbiter.

It may look that way, but it's not true.

bob jenkins Sat May 24, 2008 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
One of the things I don't like about Referee is that they offer a your intial subscription at a low $20-$30 rate then hit you for 44.95 to re-sub.

That's true for 99% of all magazines.

grunewar Sat May 24, 2008 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's true for 99% of all magazines.

Concur. But, just let it lapse one month and they'll beg you to come back - and at a good rate! ;)

Welpe Sat May 24, 2008 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It may look that way, but it's not true.

So that disclaimer of theirs is a complete lie then? :confused: