The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lessons Learned (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4442-lessons-learned.html)

rainmaker Fri Mar 22, 2002 02:01am

Okay, it's that time of year. First I need to memorize the Whistles Anonymous hot-line number. Next, get the books out and start studying. Meantime, let's all go back and post our lessons learned this year. two or three each, except the newbies (I include myself here) who get five.

Mine:

1. Coaches can be touchy; handle with care.
2. Work wide.
3. Don't lose sleep over missed calls.
4. Don't ask DeNucci about improper inbounds plays after a made basket.
5. Most kids are terrified of us. Let's keep it that way.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 22, 2002 08:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, it's that time of year. First I need to memorize the Whistles Anonymous hot-line number. Next, get the books out and start studying. Meantime, let's all go back and post our lessons learned this year. two or three each, except the newbies (I include myself here) who get five.

Mine:

1. Coaches can be touchy; handle with care.
2. Work wide.
3. Don't lose sleep over missed calls.
4. Don't ask DeNucci about improper inbounds plays after a made basket.
5. Most kids are terrified of us. Let's keep it that way.

Your forgot Item (5): First year officials do not take cheap (and misninformed) shots at rules interpreters who are trying to educate them on rules, mechanics, and the correct way to administer them.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 22, 2002 08:52am

Oops, I meant Item (6). I guess I am getting absent-minded in my old age.

ChuckElias Fri Mar 22, 2002 09:30am

I don't think Juulie is misinformed or taking a cheap shot, Mark. All she's saying is don't bring it up, b/c you'll write a missive about it. It's not that she's saying you're wrong, or anything else. She's just saying, "Don't go there".

I would think that you've been here long enough to know that Juulie doesn't take cheap shots. She's always the one who is trying to rein in the rest of us. Relax.

Chuck

rainmaker Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't think Juulie is misinformed or taking a cheap shot, Mark. All she's saying is don't bring it up, b/c you'll write a missive about it. It's not that she's saying you're wrong, or anything else. She's just saying, "Don't go there".

I would think that you've been here long enough to know that Juulie doesn't take cheap shots. She's always the one who is trying to rein in the rest of us. Relax.

Chuck

Yeah, what he said.....!

P.S. I'll have you know I'm not a first-year ref, either. I've been at this for a whole 27 months now!!

P.P.S.S. I agree totally with you on the subject mentioned above, and disagree completely with another Mark. And I always appreciate the way you stick up for us "violation-ites" with extensive rule citations and logic. I'm just tired of the re-hash.

[Edited by rainmaker on Mar 22nd, 2002 at 11:17 AM]

williebfree Tue Mar 26, 2002 09:46pm

Back to the original solicitation

Many of the things that an official learns in his/her first season are "relearned" or rediscovered time and again during that and the following seasons.

1. Officials are the "rules experts" on the court. An official MUST be confident (Not Cocky) while on the court. For those who are not well-versed in the rules, HIT THE BOOKS NOW! (BTW, I am with my books now.)

2. Basketball (& officiating it) is sooooo much fun!:D Make sure to remind everyone of this when you are on the court.

3. Trust your partner. S/he (They for thoise working 3-whistle) may be your only ally that night.

There are more, but these are the first three that came to my mind.

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 27, 2002 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
P.P.S.S. I agree totally with you on the subject mentioned above, and disagree completely with another Mark.
I'm sure you mean Dexter. ;)