The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gave Coach His 1st T in 30 Years...HAHA! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44111-gave-coach-his-1st-t-30-years-haha.html)

Coltdoggs Mon May 05, 2008 09:58am

Gave Coach His 1st T in 30 Years...HAHA!

Handed out a T to a coach in a 14U Girls AAU game yesterday for arguing a couple calls I made out of my PCA...He's a notorious whiner (both my P and I have had him before) and I knew where this was going to go if I didn't address it. It was early in the 1st half and it got him to focus on his girls rather than us so I felt justified in handing it out.

After the game, he caught me up by the concession getting some H20...he said "You know, that's the first T I've been given in 30 years of coaching". I said " Well coach, I'm glad I could break the ice for ya!" He then wanted me to know that he was ok with the T cause it got his girls fired up but he was thinking about getting a plaque with my name on it for that first ever T :rolleyes: . I smiled and told him if he could find in the rule book where it states I have to make calls only in my PCA, I'd take the game money and buy him that plaque!

I ended our conversation with "Coach, listen...If I'm in that same spot and one of your girls get's punched in the face by your opponent am I supposed to let it go because it's a call that's out of my area that my partner didn't see or have a good angle on?"

His response was "Well, no...the whole gym could see that one!" I said, "Well, it's no different on those two calls either...they needed to be made and I don't worry about what the whole gym sees".

His team went on to win that game and played for 1st place in this tourney....

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 10:07am

Nah, you don't want to give him a plaque. You want to give him a tophy!
http://www.bentheshark.com/Trophy04.jpg

tjones1 Mon May 05, 2008 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Handed out a T to a coach in a 14U Girls AAU game

Enough said. ;)

stripes Mon May 05, 2008 12:12pm

Who was covering your PCA? Don't misinterpret the question, if the calls in question were non-basketball plays like you noted to the coach later, no problem, but if they were regular basketball plays, that could be a problem...

Coltdoggs Mon May 05, 2008 03:41pm

Stripes....they were both shooting fouls along the baseline on my side of the floor but within my P's PCA....ball originated in my area and swung to player outside the lane for quick shots.

My P was wide, table side on both calls and when we talked about them at half, I told her I didn't think she saw the body/body contact from weak side help D where she was at....she told me that she did not see it because she was straightlined (not deep enough)...On the second, she said it looked like all ball to her by primary defender and I had a lot of contact on the forearm, again from a secondary defender who was sliding over to help.... She had no issues with either...

stripes Mon May 05, 2008 03:46pm

Great answer. Weak side and secondary defender calls are, IMO, great pickups in a secondary area as long as there is nothing keeping you in your PCA.

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 04:38pm

"That's neat, Coach. It's my first T in 20 years."

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2008 05:18pm

What's The Record ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
"That's neat, Coach. It's my first T in 20 years."

Come to think of it, I haven't given a an interscholastic coach, high school, or middle school, a technical foul since 2005-06. I gave out three that year, varsity coach, junior varsity coach, and freshman coach, including two in the same day, in the same gymnasium, a freshman/junior varsity, last minute fill-in, doubleheader. Made me glad that I don't work freshman, or junior varsity games, on a regular basis. Those coaches can be nuts.

Do I get a prize?

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 05:21pm

Probably not, I've talked to refs who never give coach Ts, period.

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Come to think of it, I haven't given a an interscholastic coach, high school, or middle school, a technical foul since 2005-06. I gave out three that year, varsity coach, junior varsity coach, and freshman coach, including two in the same day, in the same gymnasium, a freshman/junior varsity, last minute fill-in, doubleheader. Made me glad that I don't work freshman, or junior varsity games, on a regular basis. Those coaches can be nuts.

Do I get a prize?

Sounds to me like you've identified an area for improvement this coming season :D

wizard Tue May 06, 2008 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
...He's a notorious whiner...

"You know, that's the first T I've been given in 30 years of coaching".

A notrious whiner gets his first T in 30 years? Sounds like he's also a "truth bender" as well.

Coltdoggs Tue May 06, 2008 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard
A notrious whiner gets his first T in 30 years? Sounds like he's also a "truth bender" as well.

Wiz....he told my P shortly after the T that very thing and she laughed at him and said, "Please coach...we see you out here every weekend!" HAHAHA!