The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sportmanship !!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44093-sportmanship.html)

BillyMac Sat May 03, 2008 05:49pm

Sportmanship !!!

This is an unbelievable story about sportsmanship. It's softball, but I'm sure officials, coaches, players, and fans, of all sports will find this interesting, so I hope the moderators don't delete it.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24392612/

Adam Sat May 03, 2008 06:58pm

There was quite the discussion about this play on the softball side.

I think it's a great story, and it wouldn't have happened if the umps had allowed the pinch runner to complete the homerun trot; as the rules apparently allow for. :)

Mark Padgett Sat May 03, 2008 09:41pm

I guarantee none of the Western Oregon girls were from Molalla. :rolleyes:

Back In The Saddle Sat May 03, 2008 10:22pm

Great story. And regardless of the crew apparently kicking the rule about the substitute runner, that HR will always mean a lot more to that girl for having been able to "run it out" herself. How anti-climactic would it be to hit your only homer of your career, blow out a knee at 1st, and have to let a sub run the bases for you? I'm happy for her that she got to finish out the play herself. :)

Raymond Mon May 05, 2008 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There was quite the discussion about this play on the softball side.

I think it's a great story, and it wouldn't have happened if the umps had allowed the pinch runner to complete the homerun trot; as the rules apparently allow for. :)

Of course we're assuming that's what the ump actually said.

Bad Zebra Mon May 05, 2008 08:36am

Great story. Gives one hope that there are still young people that have a sense of sportsmanship and keep the game in perspective...despite overzealous coaches and parents.

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Of course we're assuming that's what the ump actually said.

Fair enough, but this seems to be pretty well undisputed. [shrug]

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

Fair enough, but this seems to be pretty well undisputed. [shrug]

...pretty well undisputed in the infallible media. There, fixed it for ya. ;)

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 09:07am

You're killing me, Ray.

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 09:43am

Quote:

You're killing me, Ray.

I do what I can.

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I do what I can.

:)

Look, the fact is she was carried around the bases. If they'd been allowed to use a pinch runner to complete the square, that wouldn't have been necessary. As much as I hold to an inherently skeptical view of the media when it comes to anything related to sports officials, there really isn't a lot of reason here to doubt the key elements of the story.

Skepticism for the sake of being a skeptic turns one into a grumpy old coot. Need evidence? I submit Jurassic as exhibit A.

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 01:00pm

Quote:

:)

Look, the fact is she was carried around the bases. If they'd been allowed to use a pinch runner to complete the square, that wouldn't have been necessary. As much as I hold to an inherently skeptical view of the media when it comes to anything related to sports officials, there really isn't a lot of reason here to doubt the key elements of the story.

Skepticism for the sake of being a skeptic turns one into a grumpy old coot. Need evidence? I submit Jurassic as exhibit A.

That's one powerful example! :eek: I'm making a pledge to mend my ways immediately. I just hope it isn't too late!!!

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
That's one powerful example! :eek: I'm making a pledge to mend my ways immediately. I just hope it isn't too late!!!

I do what I can.