The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Fed basketball Rules--2008/09 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/44008-new-fed-basketball-rules-2008-09-a.html)

Jurassic Referee Thu May 01, 2008 07:49am

New Fed basketball Rules--2008/09

This is now posted on this site as an article, but there is nothing on the NFHS site as of yet backing it up.

http://basketball.officiating.com/x/article/5800

Changes are:
1) Bottom spaces left open on free throws.
2) Technical foul charged directly to head coach for illegal shirts, numbers, instead of to the player. The article doesn't state whether there would be one "T" maximum or one for each violation.
3) usual crap about headbands.

dkmz17 Thu May 01, 2008 09:00am

The rules changes are now posted on the NFHS site as follows:

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...es_Summary.pdf

I am sure that more information is to come.

Adam Thu May 01, 2008 09:09am

Okay, editorial changes include:
1. reorganization of 3-4.
2. 4-27-2, incidental contact tweaked.
3. 4-42-5. They changed this last year, too. I wonder what change they're making.
4. 10-5 to be reorganized for clarity. This will be interesting.

Now, I wonder if there are any unannounced changes this year.

All in all, they seem to have left the rules alone, for the most part.

ODJ Thu May 01, 2008 10:13am

They're not reducing the number of players in the lane, just moving them away from the basket and toward the shooter.
Taunting by whispers now. Thanks.
If NF wants to clean up the lane, enforce the violation for breaking the plane before the ball hits the rim. It's the positioning as the ball's in the air that causes the problem.

I don't care about the color of the pre-wrap! :mad:

One T per coach/team for illegal jerseys.

tjones1 Thu May 01, 2008 10:21am

I'm kind of surprised they caved in on the free throw. Although, they used a different rationale (preventing rough play); everything they had stated in the past didn't support the change. Oh well...

jdw3018 Thu May 01, 2008 10:23am

Any idea on when we'll see any mechanics changes?

Adam Thu May 01, 2008 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
I'm kind of surprised they caved in on the free throw. Although, they used a different rationale (preventing rough play); everything they had stated in the past didn't support the change. Oh well...

I caught that, too. It seemed they even said previously that rough play wouldn't even be affected. The rationale this time even uses "may" as a qualifier. My guess is if it doesn't have the desired effect, they'll revert back in a couple of years.

Ch1town Thu May 01, 2008 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ

I bet the illegal uniform infractions will be slim to none next season, seeing how a coach will be in the seatbelt before the tip off.

JugglingReferee Thu May 01, 2008 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
This is now posted on this site as an article, but there is nothing on the NFHS site as of yet backing it up.

http://basketball.officiating.com/x/article/5800

Changes are:
1) Bottom spaces left open on free throws.
2) Technical foul charged directly to head coach for illegal shirts, numbers, instead of to the player. The article doesn't state whether there would be one "T" maximum or one for each violation.
3) usual crap about headbands.

I think for the first time in 8 years, and 16,000 posts, Jurassic has started a thread.

IREFU2 Thu May 01, 2008 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ
They're not reducing the number of players in the lane, just moving them away from the basket and toward the shooter.
Taunting by whispers now. Thanks.
If NF wants to clean up the lane, enforce the violation for breaking the plane before the ball hits the rim. It's the positioning as the ball's in the air that causes the problem.

I don't care about the color of the pre-wrap! :mad:

Just like in College......about the lane spaces.

Scrapper1 Thu May 01, 2008 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I think for the first time in 8 years, and 16,000 posts, Jurassic has started a thread.

Nah, he's started 27 threads, although 8 of those were not in the basketball forum. http://forum.officiating.com/search.php?searchid=103291

Scrapper1 Thu May 01, 2008 11:07am

Quote:

I'm kind of surprised they caved in on the free throw.

I think last year or the year before they even said that they were done even considering any changes to the free throw rules because of the Kentucky study. Oh well.

Dan_ref Thu May 01, 2008 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Nah, he's started 27 threads, although 8 of those were not in the basketball forum. http://forum.officiating.com/search.php?searchid=103291

And surprisingly only 2 of them (7%) have been locked.

Adam Thu May 01, 2008 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And surprisingly only 2 of them (7%) have been locked.

It's that kind of mean spiritedness that makes people cry.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 01, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

I'm simply repulsed!

Repulsed, I tell ya!

Dan_ref Thu May 01, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

mods... what is the forum policy on plagiarism?

Rock Chalk Thu May 01, 2008 12:17pm

why would they make this change without letting them in on the release?

i don't understand the change if they don't allow them in on the release.

won't it really diminish the chance of an offensive rebound?

tjones1 Thu May 01, 2008 12:34pm

Quote:

Forced to watch 10 straight hours of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

It's true, it's true! :D

Dan_ref Thu May 01, 2008 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk

"they" want the defense to get the FT rebound so it's a good thing.
In fact that's part of the reason ncaa men's went to that lineup, decreases the odds of offensive rebounds.

Adam Thu May 01, 2008 12:43pm

Quote:

As long as decent people aren't hurt....

ace Thu May 01, 2008 12:52pm

Quote:

because of the Kentucky study. Oh well.

no offense to anyone, but when was the last time Kentucky was an accurate barometer for what was going on in the rest of the country :) :D :p

I sometimes wonder how long it's going to be before a state like texas just starts adopting NCAA rules. w/o a shot clock.

Dan_ref Thu May 01, 2008 12:59pm

Quote:

As long as decent people aren't hurt....

Well all of those people wised up & moved on years ago.

dkmz17 Thu May 01, 2008 01:29pm

Quote:

I think the answer to your question is yes, and I also wonder why they didn't change the restriction on entering the lane to the release, instead of the rim.

From my perspective, this change essentially returns the chances of a defensive rebound to a point close to where it was when less contact was allowed.

Back In The Saddle Thu May 01, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Forced to watch 10 straight hours of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

It's true, it's true! :D

Since I've always had a thing for Jane Seymour, I'm in! :D

Rich Thu May 01, 2008 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Any idea on when we'll see any mechanics changes?

Especially since they've just opened up a lane space for me to stand in for the first of two free throws ;)

Back In The Saddle Thu May 01, 2008 01:59pm

Quote:

I think last year or the year before they even said that they were done even considering any changes to the free throw rules because of the Kentucky study. Oh well.

From the officiating.com article: "The committee reviewed data from the Georgia High School Association, which experimented with the free-throw lane change last year. According to data from the experiment, the number of fouls during free-throw rebounding action was reduced," said Mary Struckhoff, NFHS assistant director and staff liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee. "At the same time, defensive rebounding percentages fell within an acceptable range. This data was the most compelling the committee had seen to date."

I guess you can just keep doing studies until you find one that makes everybody happy?

Back In The Saddle Thu May 01, 2008 02:05pm

POE on slapping the backboard. I wonder what they're going to say on this? Too many officials calling it GT/BI? Not enough officials calling it a T? I'm all atwitter with anticipation :D

Back In The Saddle Thu May 01, 2008 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Especially since they've just opened up a lane space for me to stand in for the first of two free throws ;)

POE 5 is "Officials' Mechanics and Signals". My guess is this year they'll just be bagging at us to do what they tell us. ;)

Drizzle Thu May 01, 2008 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
I sometimes wonder how long it's going to be before a state like texas just starts adopting NCAA rules. w/o a shot clock.

HEY NOW! :p

ace Thu May 01, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle
HEY NOW! :p

I'm from Houston... which sometimes feels like its own state... LOL. But we've already done it in Football.

lukealex Thu May 01, 2008 03:57pm

I would be for it, not sure what they would do about NCAA-M vs NCAA-W rules and which ones to use though. If Texas is already using NCAA rules for football, it is probably just a matter of time before they follow suit in basketball.

ace Thu May 01, 2008 04:29pm

in houston - theres enough division amongst the officials (those who work just W or just M that it could be possible.) but in the grand scheme of things - this could be dangerous.

jdmara Thu May 01, 2008 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
no offense to anyone, but when was the last time Kentucky was an accurate barometer for what was going on in the rest of the country :) :D :p

After spending much of the last 6 years in Kentucky, I would think that anyone with any sense of self-awareness would agree the NFHS might not have picked the best state to represent the entire country. But how can we argue, we are just the officials that get to call the games and have to deal with the rules outcomes.

However, I have talked to many of my peers around this area and they support the players being moved to above the block on free-throws. I personally don't have an opinion on it though.

-Josh

rockyroad Thu May 01, 2008 05:44pm

Quote:

The way the rule has been the last few years, the offensive player in the second lane space actually had the best chances of getting the rebound - and I'm sure we've all seen that in games. This way, the defensive player has that spot and now has the reaction time to allow them to get the rebound. Not allowing them in on the release cuts down the amount of contact - so the rules committee takes care of two concerns - the amount of "rough" play and the number of offensive rebounds on free throws.

Nevadaref Thu May 01, 2008 06:40pm

The three main changes that were made are excellent. There were a few other items that I would have liked to have seen implemented (coach's ability to request TO during a live ball), but I'll just do what Cubs fans do and wait 'til next year. ;)

26 Year Gap Thu May 01, 2008 07:52pm

Will the POE on mechanics and signals mean the stocks for any official who uses the Dracula mechanic?

Mark Dexter Thu May 01, 2008 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Will the POE on mechanics and signals mean the stocks for any official who uses the Dracula mechanic?

Dracula mechanic? :confused:

Rich Thu May 01, 2008 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Dracula mechanic? :confused:

Would that also be known as the "creeping death foul?"

ODJ Thu May 01, 2008 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Just like in College......about the lane spaces.

As I read the presser, the number of players is the same. They've just moved.

grunewar Fri May 02, 2008 05:31am

Quote:

Or is it the "Frankenstein Mechanic" for "over the back"! If so, I'm in with the punishment fitting the crime! ;)

Camron Rust Fri May 02, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
The way the rule has been the last few years, the offensive player in the second lane space actually had the best chances of getting the rebound - and I'm sure we've all seen that in games.

That suggests that there were more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds?? I have not seen that to be the case. Perhaps there are more offensive rebounds than when players entered on the release. Perhaps there are more than what the NCAA was observing after moving the players up the lane....but not a majority to the offense.

Back In The Saddle Fri May 02, 2008 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
That suggests that there were more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds?? I have not seen that to be the case. Perhaps there are more offensive rebounds than when players entered on the release. Perhaps there are more than what the NCAA was observing after moving the players up the lane....but not a majority to the offense.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see the offensive team rebound a FT nearly as often as the defensive team. But then the Kentucky study and the Georgia study seem to have produced different results. So maybe things are different in Seattle too?

26 Year Gap Fri May 02, 2008 11:23am

Dracula Mechanic

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
Or is it the "Frankenstein Mechanic" for "over the back"! If so, I'm in with the punishment fitting the crime! ;)

http://images.art.com/images/-/Bela-...C10104353.jpeg

Yes I know there would be no shadow if the guy was a REAL vampire.

Back In The Saddle Fri May 02, 2008 12:28pm

Quote:

http://images.art.com/images/-/Bela-...C10104353.jpeg

Yes I know there would be no shadow if the guy was a REAL vampire.

Don't real vampires only work baseball? :confused:

26 Year Gap Fri May 02, 2008 01:34pm

just night games

rockyroad Fri May 02, 2008 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see the offensive team rebound a FT nearly as often as the defensive team. But then the Kentucky study and the Georgia study seem to have produced different results. So maybe things are different in Seattle too?

Seriously??? That's definitely NOT what I have seen...anything that has a soft bounce off the rim is usually controlled by the inside player, but if it takes a wild bounce or a longer bounce, the player in the second space has more time to react and usually gets that rebound.

Camron Rust Fri May 02, 2008 06:27pm

Quote:

Seriously??? That's definitely NOT what I have seen...anything that has a soft bounce off the rim is usually controlled by the inside player, but if it takes a wild bounce or a longer bounce, the player in the second space has more time to react and usually gets that rebound.

I see those wild/long bounces going sometimes to the 3rd player even....back to the defense.

I guess it also depends on the local standard of how much contact is allowed from each player and which player benefits from the specific contact that is allowed (or vice versa).

Back In The Saddle Fri May 02, 2008 08:09pm

Quote:

Maybe it's the thin air up here in the mountains? :D

I'm going to make a more concious effort in my games this week to tally who gets the rebounds. But I'd be surprised if it's different than my current perception.

Dan_ref Sat May 03, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Maybe it's the thin air up here in the mountains? :D

I'm going to make a more concious effort in my games this week to tally who gets the rebounds. But I'd be surprised if it's different than my current perception.

Make a concious effort to tally the number of times the defensive player in the first position gets pinned near or under the backboard by the offensive player just holding his space off the missed FT (what the coaches call boxing out). That is what the ncaa m wanted to eliminate simply because they felt that not enough of the rebounds went to the defense. Not at all the majority went to the offense, just that the offense was getting more than they should. And it worked IMO. Granted it's not as clear under nfhs rules where they can't move off the release, but obviously the fed thought this was a good idea so there you have it. Not a bad change IMO.

Jimgolf Sat May 03, 2008 07:47pm

Is the new rule that permits beige uniforms called the George Carlin Rule?

Nevadaref Sat May 03, 2008 11:28pm

Quote:

Quote:

Make a concious effort to tally the number of times...

It seems that Dan shares your thin air spelling. :D

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It seems that Dan shares your thin air spelling. :D

It's how they're teaching it at camps this year ;)

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 07:23am

Quote:

It's how they're teaching it at camps this year ;)

Maybe in Utah....

bob jenkins Mon May 05, 2008 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Is the new rule that permits beige uniforms called the George Carlin Rule?

I'm confused. What "new rule ... permits beige uniforms?"

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Certainly no new rule of fashion or good taste. :eek:

Scrapper1 Mon May 05, 2008 09:39am

Quote:

It's not for uniforms, it's for hair control devices:

Quote:

The committee also clarified Rule 3-5-3 to state "any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity." The committee also added black and beige to the list of legal colors.
So a beige headband is now legal. Does that mean beige sweatbands are legal? If not, then if a player is wearing beige pre-wrap as a hair-control device, can her teammates wear white sweatbands?

bob jenkins Mon May 05, 2008 10:44am

Quote:

It's not for uniforms, it's for hair control devices:

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Quote:

So a beige headband is now legal. Does that mean beige sweatbands are legal? If not, then if a player is wearing beige pre-wrap as a hair-control device, can her teammates wear white sweatbands?
It's the same as the NCAAW rule. All "hair control devices" must be the same color, and that color can be black, white, beige or the predominant unifom color.

IF there needs to be a rule (and I would be okay with "no color restrictions"), then I think this change is good.

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 10:46am

I vote no color restrictions. ;)

Scrapper1 Mon May 05, 2008 11:04am

Quote:

It's the same as the NCAAW rule. All "hair control devices" must be the same color, and that color can be black, white, beige or the predominant unifom color.

But can the hair control devices be different from the sweatbands? In Men's rules, it doesn't matter which legal color you use for headbands or sweatbands; but everybody on the team has to be wearing the same color for ALL those items.

So, under the new FED rule, if a player is wearing beige or black pre-wrap to hold her hair, is her teammate allowed to wear white sweatbands? Or does the new rule make beige legal for sweatbands too?

Back In The Saddle Mon May 05, 2008 12:56pm

Quote:

But can the hair control devices be different from the sweatbands? In Men's rules, it doesn't matter which legal color you use for headbands or sweatbands; but everybody on the team has to be wearing the same color for ALL those items.

So, under the new FED rule, if a player is wearing beige or black pre-wrap to hold her hair, is her teammate allowed to wear white sweatbands? Or does the new rule make beige legal for sweatbands too?

My impression from what they've released, and we haven't seen the new text yet, is that beige and black are now valid colors, along with white and the pred. color of the jersey. And I would assume (you know where that gets us) that they're all lumped into one category. So everybody who wears any kind of sweat band or circumcranial hair control device, must all wear the same color.

My best guess and $0.02

bob jenkins Mon May 05, 2008 01:29pm

Quote:

My impression from what they've released, and we haven't seen the new text yet, is that beige and black are now valid colors, along with white and the pred. color of the jersey. And I would assume (you know where that gets us) that they're all lumped into one category. So everybody who wears any kind of sweat band or circumcranial hair control device, must all wear the same color.

My best guess and $0.02

I would ***-U-ME the same

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2008 05:03pm

The Names Nave Been Changed to Protect The Innocent ...

Quote:

Since the NFHS is increasing our role as the "Fashion Police", do we get badges?

http://blog.b92.net/arhiva/files/ima....thumbnail.jpg

By the way, as a former player, and coach, I'm all for players looking "uniform", after all, they're part of a team, and remember, "There's no I in team", but, for the most part, "fashion" issues should be the coach's, or athletic director's, job, not the officials job. On the other hand, some consider officials to be the caretakers of the game. This issue gives me an overly officious official headache. I need to take a couple of aspirOOOins.

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Since the NFHS is increasing our role as the "Fashion Police", do we get badges?

Badges!? Badges!? We don't need no stinking badges!

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2008 05:24pm

"I Don't Have To Show You Any Stinkin' Badges!"

Snaqwells: Great Line. Thanks for reminding me about one of the greatest lines in movie history.

From "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart. In one of the scenes in the movie a Mexican bandit leader (Gold Hat played by Alfonso Bedoya) is trying to convince Fred C. Dobbs (played by Bogart) and company that they are the Federales.

Dobbs: 'If you're the police where are your badges?'
Gold Hat: 'Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZ...eature=related

Adam Mon May 05, 2008 05:27pm

I was quoting Blazing Saddles. ;)

JugglingReferee Mon May 05, 2008 05:58pm

I was thinking UHF.

Oh wait... that is "badgers, we don't need no stinkin' badgers."

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2008 06:58pm

It's Not Hedy, It's Hedley. Hedley Lamarr.

Quote:

I was quoting Blazing Saddles.

One of my alltime favorite movies.

In the 1974 Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles, probably the most famous parody of the line is delivered. Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman) is interviewing a line of criminals in order to deputise them so that they can terrorize a town. The line is filled with stereotypical criminals, from bikers to robed Klansmen. A group of Mexicans dressed in sombreros and bandoleros step up to him. He speaks to them briefly, hires them and tries to hand them deputy badges: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj056ao6GE&NR=1

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2008 08:25pm

"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more."

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I was thinking UHF. "Badgers, we don't need no stinkin' badgers."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKIAn2UlAX4

JugglingReferee Mon May 05, 2008 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac

:) Once upon a time I actually went to see Weird Al in concert. Massey Hall in Toronto, circa 1997.

Smitty Fri May 09, 2008 11:06am

The full text of the rule changes and POEs has been posted on the NFHS website:

2008-09 Rule Changes and POEs

Nevadaref Fri May 09, 2008 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty
The full text of the rule changes and POEs has been posted on the NFHS website:

2008-09 Rule Changes and POEs

Sorry Smitty, but those are only the comments on the rule changes, not the actual text that will appear in the new rules book. However, what is written there for the POEs probably is the actual wording that will make it into the book.