The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 05:58pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see the offensive team rebound a FT nearly as often as the defensive team. But then the Kentucky study and the Georgia study seem to have produced different results. So maybe things are different in Seattle too?
Seriously??? That's definitely NOT what I have seen...anything that has a soft bounce off the rim is usually controlled by the inside player, but if it takes a wild bounce or a longer bounce, the player in the second space has more time to react and usually gets that rebound.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Seriously??? That's definitely NOT what I have seen...anything that has a soft bounce off the rim is usually controlled by the inside player, but if it takes a wild bounce or a longer bounce, the player in the second space has more time to react and usually gets that rebound.
I see those wild/long bounces going sometimes to the 3rd player even....back to the defense.

I guess it also depends on the local standard of how much contact is allowed from each player and which player benefits from the specific contact that is allowed (or vice versa).
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Maybe it's the thin air up here in the mountains?

I'm going to make a more concious effort in my games this week to tally who gets the rebounds. But I'd be surprised if it's different than my current perception.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Maybe it's the thin air up here in the mountains?

I'm going to make a more concious effort in my games this week to tally who gets the rebounds. But I'd be surprised if it's different than my current perception.
Make a concious effort to tally the number of times the defensive player in the first position gets pinned near or under the backboard by the offensive player just holding his space off the missed FT (what the coaches call boxing out). That is what the ncaa m wanted to eliminate simply because they felt that not enough of the rebounds went to the defense. Not at all the majority went to the offense, just that the offense was getting more than they should. And it worked IMO. Granted it's not as clear under nfhs rules where they can't move off the release, but obviously the fed thought this was a good idea so there you have it. Not a bad change IMO.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Is the new rule that permits beige uniforms called the George Carlin Rule?
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Make a concious effort to tally the number of times...
It seems that Dan shares your thin air spelling.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It seems that Dan shares your thin air spelling.
It's how they're teaching it at camps this year
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 07:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's how they're teaching it at camps this year
Maybe in Utah....
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Is the new rule that permits beige uniforms called the George Carlin Rule?
I'm confused. What "new rule ... permits beige uniforms?"
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Certainly no new rule of fashion or good taste.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It's not for uniforms, it's for hair control devices:

Quote:
The committee also clarified Rule 3-5-3 to state "any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity." The committee also added black and beige to the list of legal colors.
So a beige headband is now legal. Does that mean beige sweatbands are legal? If not, then if a player is wearing beige pre-wrap as a hair-control device, can her teammates wear white sweatbands?
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It's not for uniforms, it's for hair control devices:
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Quote:
So a beige headband is now legal. Does that mean beige sweatbands are legal? If not, then if a player is wearing beige pre-wrap as a hair-control device, can her teammates wear white sweatbands?
It's the same as the NCAAW rule. All "hair control devices" must be the same color, and that color can be black, white, beige or the predominant unifom color.

IF there needs to be a rule (and I would be okay with "no color restrictions"), then I think this change is good.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I vote no color restrictions.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It's the same as the NCAAW rule. All "hair control devices" must be the same color, and that color can be black, white, beige or the predominant unifom color.
But can the hair control devices be different from the sweatbands? In Men's rules, it doesn't matter which legal color you use for headbands or sweatbands; but everybody on the team has to be wearing the same color for ALL those items.

So, under the new FED rule, if a player is wearing beige or black pre-wrap to hold her hair, is her teammate allowed to wear white sweatbands? Or does the new rule make beige legal for sweatbands too?
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
But can the hair control devices be different from the sweatbands? In Men's rules, it doesn't matter which legal color you use for headbands or sweatbands; but everybody on the team has to be wearing the same color for ALL those items.

So, under the new FED rule, if a player is wearing beige or black pre-wrap to hold her hair, is her teammate allowed to wear white sweatbands? Or does the new rule make beige legal for sweatbands too?
My impression from what they've released, and we haven't seen the new text yet, is that beige and black are now valid colors, along with white and the pred. color of the jersey. And I would assume (you know where that gets us) that they're all lumped into one category. So everybody who wears any kind of sweat band or circumcranial hair control device, must all wear the same color.

My best guess and $0.02