The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Got to meet (and hopefully work) with a forum member (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43822-got-meet-hopefully-work-forum-member.html)

NewNCref Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:48pm

Got to meet (and hopefully work) with a forum member

While at NC State working the ACIS National Intramural Basketball tournament, I had the opportunity to meet a wonderful man from Elon University. We struck up conversation, and he said he was originally from Conn.

Immediately, I thought of TussAgee11, a frequent poster on the baseball forum, and occasional poster here on the basketball forum. I asked him, and indeed it was him. So far, the tournament has been fun, and I'd love to get a chance to work with him.

Funny how you never know who you'll meet working a tournament.

Lcubed48 Sat Apr 26, 2008 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref

Funny how you never know who you'll meet working a tournament.

I've met several folks via this forum who are going to one or other of the camps that I'll be attending. I'm definitely looking forward to putting a face to the name and getting on the court with them.

dblref Mon Apr 28, 2008 07:43am

Yep, it always nice to meet some of your fellow forum members. I have met 3 forum members who were also in my association. None of us realized the others were members. I realized they were members before they realized I was. Was working with one of them and jokingly made a smart-a** comment about one of his posts. Took him about 2 quarters to realize who I was on the forum.:p

TussAgee11 Mon Apr 28, 2008 03:04pm

Being the person the OP was talking about... perhaps I should chime in... :p

Definitely learned a lot at that tournament. It was almost more of a mini-camp than anything. Here it is 4:00 on Monday and my legs are still sore, but heck, it was worth it!

For me, being a college student, it was cool to see other young officials who love what I do. While all sports are having trouble recruiting younger officials, I have had trouble finding them to hang out with :) This weekend showed me they do exist!

Regards,

Tuss

NewNCref Mon Apr 28, 2008 03:08pm

Tuss,

How far into the tourney did you end up getting? I got a Women's Quarterfinal, and then I was done.

btaylor64 Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Being the person the OP was talking about... perhaps I should chime in... :p

Definitely learned a lot at that tournament. It was almost more of a mini-camp than anything. Here it is 4:00 on Monday and my legs are still sore, but heck, it was worth it!

For me, being a college student, it was cool to see other young officials who love what I do. While all sports are having trouble recruiting younger officials, I have had trouble finding them to hang out with :) This weekend showed me they do exist!

Regards,

Tuss

That's cool to know that you go to Elon! That is a nice school from what some of my guys tell me. If I am fortunate enough to get a game there next year, we should get together and go out for a drink afterwards. I love meeting guys as young as me too. It does feel like we don't exist sometimes!

TomSegi Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21am

As a clinician at the tournament, it is great to see young officials excited about the trade. I was in their shoes only 2 years ago.

I missed the cut at my first national tournament and then worked the men's final the next year. Keep working hard, guys, and stay committed to the profession.

TussAgee11 Tue Apr 29, 2008 02:03pm

I worked a Men's Quarter and worked the table for a Semi.

More importantly, I was pleased with all that I learned and got to pick some great minds about officiating. I truely didn't worry about what game I'd get or anything, just wanted to keep improving and keep learning. Not make the same mistake twice (although it is hard with mechanical stuff).

btaylor - if you get a game here let me know :) - Small gym, sort of a high school feel to it. But pretty good basketball in the SoCon these days, compared to a couple of years ago anyway.