The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Men's Championship Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43361-mens-championship-game.html)

TRef21 Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:45pm

Men's Championship Game

Did anyone see Ed Hightowers traveling call in the 1st half before the media T.O. under 12 (11:33). OMG blows the whistle with his classic "BEEP, BEEP: Signals traveling really slow and takes baby steps showing the millions of people around the nation what the Kansas player did. That is like totally awesome

tomegun Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:47pm

So far I think Hightower's signals and such are a little over the top.

caliref Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:53pm

What about when Rush went in for a layup early in the game and the Memphis guy undercut Rush. Why no intentional Foul?

BktBallRef Mon Apr 07, 2008 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun

Not sure why he completely turns his back to the players on OOB plays and then points to the moon. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliref
What about when Rush went in for a layup early in the game and the Memphis guy undercut Rush. Why no intentional Foul?

Ah, let's see...because it wasn't an intentional foul?

He tried to get by him without contact but brush him with his right arm. That's not an intentional foul in my book and obviously not in their book either.

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 07, 2008 09:20pm

Quote of the night: "You have to know the rules." - Billy Packer :confused:

This was actually after he gave a correct interpretation of the double dribble rule. :eek: I'm expecting the apocalypse to begin during the first media TO of the second half.

Adam Mon Apr 07, 2008 09:46pm

Quote:

Let me ask a question. Why should it have been intentional? I didn't see it, but nothing you wrote here indicates it should have been intentional. Unless the rules are different in California. :)

blindzebra Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Quote of the night: "You have to know the rules." - Billy Packer :confused:

This was actually after he gave a correct interpretation of the double dribble rule. :eek: I'm expecting the apocalypse to begin during the first media TO of the second half.

Actually the only part he got right was he could recover it. He then said it would be a violation if he advanced the ball.

So the world is safe, he's still a moron.

And I can't stand Hightower. He's a drama queen and the speed of this game was way beyond him, he could not keep up.

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:50pm

Quote:

A little over the top is an understatement. Dude looks like the court jester out there.

blindzebra Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:50pm

Packer at his best.

Rose letting the throw-in get up court before picking it up.

He's risking a 5 second count call, Jim.

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Packer at his best.

Rose letting the throw-in get up court before picking it up.

He's risking a 5 second count call, Jim.

Thankfully the world has reset itself back to normal.

The other good one - towards the end of OT, clock clearly didn't stop after a foul and about 6 seconds ran off. The crew went to the monitor, and Packer claimed that they were checking who the fouler was. :rolleyes: (Gotta love him being wrong twice on that one.)

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59pm

Timing Error

Did anyone else notice this?

Kansas scored with 1:00 left on the clock in the 2nd half, and the clock stopped until the inbound. If noticed during the next dead ball, would this be correctable using a stopwatch and the monitor?

Dan_ref Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Did anyone else notice this?

Kansas scored with 1:00 left on the clock in the 2nd half, and the clock stopped until the inbound. If noticed during the next dead ball, would this be correctable using a stopwatch and the monitor?

Yes.

<s>No.</s> Yes.

fullor30 Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06pm

Quote:

I thought so too, but I'm on the couch and he's there..........sigh.

Rich Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Actually the only part he got right was he could recover it. He then said it would be a violation if he advanced the ball.

So the world is safe, he's still a moron.

And I can't stand Hightower. He's a drama queen and the speed of this game was way beyond him, he could not keep up.

Looks like he kept up just fine. Another data point showing that one does not have to run like a gazelle to have good judgment and work a good game.

Final Fours in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2005, 2006, and 2008. Last year he was out with a knee injury.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:23pm

Quote:

It should had been a flagrant personal foul. And I am not saying that because I am a KU fan either.

MTD, Sr.