Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
So, I went to an NBA Game Last Night…….

Heat vs Wizards, in DC

1) OK, so saying most Heat players aren’t “studs” is an understatement……they had six players out with injuries and most of the current players are NOT full-time NBAers.
2) That being said, man, those NBAers can really shoot! Three pointers raining in from every angle at a really good shooting percentage. Davis and a kid named Quinn from Miami were hookin it and scored well over half their teams points!
3) Refs were in good shape (2 of 3 still had ALL their hair, albeit not a dark color ), very much in the background, and did a really good job. Only saw a few minor complaints from coaches – continuation, missed out of bounds call (as reflected by the jumbo screen), etc. No controversial calls or arguments at all. What’s with the white jackets with blue sleeves?
4) First half, Brendan Haywood dunks and swings like Tarzan – no call.
5) Second half, Haywood dunks again and hangs, shaking basket and is fouled. Basket is waved off due to basket interference. He made both free throws.
6) What is the NBA rule for traveling when you fall to the ground with the ball? Twice players went down with the ball (not dribbling) and no call.
7) Heat Fwd Alexander Johnson was taken to the hospital after a nasty collision on a loose ball........with one of his teammates.
8) Funny story – scoreboard is playing the “kissing game” during a TO. Camera pans the crowd looking for couples to “kiss on camera.” Last couple shown was two Heat players on the end of the bench…..they are mortified and uncomfortable. Pat Riley sees this on the big screen and goes down to them and does the “c’mon guys ya gotta do it, everyone’s watching….” It was great! No, they didn’t!!
9) All in all, home team wins and makes playoffs. An enjoyable but not a cheap night with the family......but hey, that's what some of that reffing money buys, right!?
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Heat vs Wizards, in DC

) Funny story – scoreboard is playing the “kissing game” during a TO. Camera pans the crowd looking for couples to “kiss on camera.” Last couple shown was two Heat players on the end of the bench…..they are mortified and uncomfortable. Pat Riley sees this on the big screen and goes down to them and does the “c’mon guys ya gotta do it, everyone’s watching….” It was great! No, they didn’t!!
9) All in all, home team wins and makes playoffs. An enjoyable but not a cheap night with the family......but hey, that's what some of that reffing money buys, right!?
Funny!! thanks for sharing.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

The NBA pregame jackets are attrociously ugly, worse than the new NCAA jackets. I can tell you right now, the officials are not going to T a player for hanging on the rim. And in the NBA, you are allowed to fall down with the ball, it is not travelling.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I can tell you right now, the officials are not going to T a player for hanging on the rim.
Haywood is is famous for this.....he could make the US Olympic Rings Team!
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Speaking of the CCA jackets, rumor has it that they are changing again and want all of us to buy the new one....again.
Sorry to hijack a positive thread about the NBA, but I've heard the same thing, socal. My D3 association secretary told us last year that we would not change jackets even if the D1 guys did.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar

6) What is the NBA rule for traveling when you fall to the ground with the ball? Twice players went down with the ball (not dribbling) and no call.
It's not against there rules except in some cases...

From http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10...av=ArticleList

RULE NO. 10-VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
Section XIV-Traveling
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I was going to try to post something positive about our NBA brethren, because I remembered seeing Eli Roe on a national game this week. When I googled his name to find out which game it was, I came up with this not-so-positive hit from mid-February:

Quote:
Clippers point guard Sam Cassell could be looking at a hefty suspension after spitting on official Eli Roe late in the 3rd Quarter of the Clippers 128-97 loss to the Houston Rockets.
I hadn't heard about this incident before now. Anybody know what happened to Cassell because of this?
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Hadn't heard about it, but with Cassell's history, it sure doesn't surprise me!
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Speaking of the CCA jackets, rumor has it that they are changing again and want all of us to buy the new one....again.
Look at posts #42 and #43

We have already discussed this issue on more than one occasion.

We are still waiting for confirmation either way if this is true or not. But it appears based on whom and where people are hearing this from this is true.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NBA pregame jackets are attrociously ugly, worse than the new NCAA jackets. I can tell you right now, the officials are not going to T a player for hanging on the rim. And in the NBA, you are allowed to fall down with the ball, it is not travelling.
I forget the player...But I remember Jack Nies whacking a player in the playoffs for this a couple of seasons ago. Certainly not commonplace though.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 05:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMatthew
I forget the player...But I remember Jack Nies whacking a player in the playoffs for this a couple of seasons ago. Certainly not commonplace though.
Traveling?

Agree. Sure isn't commonplace.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 07:50am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Saw the 'kissing game' thing at a Miami Heat game a couple years ago. What goes around comes around.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

My name was drawn at work for 4 tickets to the Wizards - Celtics game Wednesday. Gonna be sitting in the suite with my wife, son, and his g/f watching my favorite NBA team -- and it ain't the Wizards.

I've been pretty lucky in the draws. Got 3 tickets for last Saturday's Caps game againt the Panthers (Caps won and clinched the division), and I have 2 tickets for this Sunday's 2:00 pm playoff game.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Washington Bullets

I still remember the Jay Leno joke when they changed the name. He said the name was beign changed due to the connotations of violence and the team would from that point forward simply be known as "The Bullets".
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Traveling?

Agree. Sure isn't commonplace.

Please note the red letters.