The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule 9 Section 2-Throw In Provisions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43137-rule-9-section-2-throw-provisions.html)

RefLarry Sat Mar 29, 2008 08:07am

Rule 9 Section 2-Throw In Provisions

HS hoops. Player A1 is inbounding the ball after a made basket. A1 has both hands on the ball and is in control of it.A1 leans forward, breaks the plane and the ball (only the ball)touches the floor inbounds. A1 regains his balance and releases the ball within 5 seconds. Is this legal?

Scrapper1 Sat Mar 29, 2008 09:09am

I say this is a throw-in violation for carrying the ball onto the court. I have had several other very established officials (that I respect) disagree with me.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 29, 2008 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I say this is a throw-in violation for carrying the ball onto the court. I have had several other very established officials (that I respect) disagree with me.

How about very established officials that you <b>don't</b> respect who do agree with you?:confused:

Fwiw I agree with you.

Back In The Saddle Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:36am

Would you say it was also a violation if:

A1, OOB, is bouncing the ball and bounces it over the line?

A1, OOB, fumbles the ball, it rolls over the line before A1 picks it up?

26 Year Gap Sat Mar 29, 2008 08:22pm

we had this play described at our mid-season meeting...no violation, believe it or not, according to the higher-ups...

Of course, that isn't what they said when I no-called one 3 seasons ago.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 29, 2008 08:27pm

I have nothing. I have had several other very established officials (that I respect) disagree with me.

grunewar Sat Mar 29, 2008 08:32pm

great, now that clears everything up (sarc) :confused:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 29, 2008 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How about very established officials that you <b>don't</b> respect who do agree with you?:confused:

Fwiw I agree with you.

DITTO!!

MTD, Sr.

MOFFICIAL Sun Mar 30, 2008 08:28am

[QUOTE=Back In The Saddle]Would you say it was also a violation if:

In this situation a vioalation-ball is released for a throw-in then if A1 is out of bounds when he touches it then A1 has violated.

I would say A1 violates because A1 can not be first to touch a throw-in

MOFFICIAL Sun Mar 30, 2008 08:29am

[QUOTE=Back In The Saddle]Would you say it was also a violation if:

In this situation a violation-ball is released for a throw-in then if A1 is out of bounds when he touches it then A1 has violated.

I would say A1 violates because A1 can not be first to touch a throw-in

Camron Rust Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1

I have a violation too.

fullor30 Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I have a violation too.

How can it not be a violation? I need a higher up to say why it wouldn't be.

lukealex Mon Mar 31, 2008 01:01pm

My thought is the ball becomes inbounds once it touches the floor. I think of it as being the same as touching a player. If A1 simply hands the ball to A2 and they are both touching the ball at the same time, this would be a violation. Does the floor somehow change this?

Nagy0716 Mon Mar 31, 2008 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealex
My thought is the ball becomes inbounds once it touches the floor. I think of it as being the same as touching a player. If A1 simply hands the ball to A2 and they are both touching the ball at the same time, this would be a violation. Does the floor somehow change this?

Violaton 100%

Back In The Saddle Mon Mar 31, 2008 02:46pm

Allow me to play devil's advocate here :)

I'm trying to figure out what the violation is for. Is it for carrying the ball onto the court? How do you justify this call? The thrower's feet have not come inbounds.

Also, the ball has not been released for a throw-in. So how could it be a violation for being the first to touch it after the throw-in?

Is it an OOB violation? If so, based on what?