The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Control over the Yankees organization passes to George Steinbrenner's youngest son, Hal. Hank says he's ok with it. Anybody want to bet otherwise?

Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Moose ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?
Yes: 270-153. Every eligible pitcher at least 100 games over .500 is in the Hall. Among top five in ERA 8 times, wins 7 times, strikeouts 5 times. Finished with 20 win season and 7th Gold Glove.

No: No Cy Young Award. Never won 20 games in prime. As you already stated, short of "magic" 300 wins.

I can't believe that I'm talking baseball in November. It's 25 degrees outside.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes: 270-153. Every eligible pitcher at least 100 games over .500 is in the Hall. Among top five in ERA 8 times, wins 7 times, strikeouts 5 times. Finished with 20 win season and 7th Gold Glove.

No: No Cy Young Award. Never won 20 games in prime. As you already stated, short of "magic" 300 wins.

I can't believe that I'm talking baseball in November. It's 25 degrees outside.
I don't believe that he was ever on a World Series champion either.

I say no HOF.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Control over the Yankees organization passes to George Steinbrenner's youngest son, Hal. Hank says he's ok with it. Anybody want to bet otherwise?

2) Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?
1) One runs finance...one runs beisbol. Their main qualification is being a member of the Lucky Sperm Club anyway.

2) It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Above Average. Of course, the mitigating factor for Mussina might be that he won his 270 in the Steroid Era, and was generally considered to be one of the "clean" pitchers while doing so. That might be a big factor come voting time in 5 years. It might get him in, while a 'roid monkey like Clemens gets ignored.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 07:42am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDeux View Post
1)2) It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Above Average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't believe that he was ever on a World Series champion either.

I say no HOF.
Agree. I'm a Moose fan. Saw him pitch often (pre-Nats era). Good guy. The kind sports really NEEDS to represent them now. Above avg - absolutely. But, not once was he the BEST pitcher in the league.

First rounder? Probably not. Eventually make it? Probably. There's so much $ out there and so many injuries, these numbers will get fewer and further away.....
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sox give AL MVP Dustin Pedroia a huge long-term deal: 6-years, $40.5 million.

Yanks offer arbitration to exactly nobody.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Sox give AL MVP Dustin Pedroia a huge long-term deal: 6-years, $40.5 million.

Yanks offer arbitration to exactly nobody.
ESPN guy Rob Parker ? says it was selfish of Pedroia to sign for such a paltry amount. Says this amount is not worthy of an MVP and will cheapen offers for others in a similar position in the future.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
ESPN guy Rob Parker ? says it was selfish of Pedroia to sign for such a paltry amount. Says this amount is not worthy of an MVP and will cheapen offers for others in a similar position in the future.
Who's Rob Parker? Former player by chance?
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 12:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Who's Rob Parker? Former player by chance?

Sports writer for the Detroit News. One of the guy's on ESPN First Take that takes turns sparring with Skip Bayless, sometimes known as Skip Clueless.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 06:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

In this day and age, with our current economy, my heart truly bleeds for someone "only" making $40.5 million over 6 years........if they can't live on that for a while, tell em all to go get a job! "Cheapen the offers of others" who follow....sheesh!
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Greg Maddux has thrown his last pitch.

"The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday.

Greg Maddux spent 12 years of his 19-year career with the Atlanta Braves, where he won three of his four straight NL Cy Young Awards from 1992-95. He finishes with a record of 355-227 and a career ERA of 3.16.

.... earned a record 18 Gold Gloves while with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, Dodgers and Padres."

.....Maddux helped the Braves win division titles for more than a decade, and they won their lone World Series championship there in 1995."

Now - these kind of numbers will make it difficult for Moose to get the votes on the same ballot.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The Tribune Company is considering bankruptcy, apparently. Might drive the price of the Cubs down a bit.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
"The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday.

Greg Maddux spent 12 years of his 19-year career with the Atlanta Braves, where he won three of his four straight NL Cy Young Awards from 1992-95. He finishes with a record of 355-227 and a career ERA of 3.16.
Maddux is great. I love to watch him pitch.

Anyone like to guess the other pitcher was who had 15+ wins each of the 5 seasons between 1995-99?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Maddux is great. I love to watch him pitch.

Anyone like to guess the other pitcher was who had 15+ wins each of the 5 seasons between 1995-99?
Another Braves pitcher? It seems like that team was always in the news for their pitching in the recent past.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Another Braves pitcher? It seems like that team was always in the news for their pitching in the recent past.
Not Braves. Not even NL.