The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, that should be interesting, seeing that Toronto is playing the Yankees tonight.
Huh. Sox have an off night tonight. Oops!!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 09:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, that should be interesting, seeing that Toronto is playing the Yankees tonight.
Was 7-0 for TO. Now 14-3 with 21 hits. Since the break, Toronto has an A+ record - right at the top.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This is pretty much off topic but I'd thought I'd share. I was watching an old rerun of the game show "The Name's The Same" on Game Show Network. On this show, they have "ordinary" people with famous names and the panel tries to guess whose name they have. The guest has to answer questions as if they were the famous person. On each show, they also have a celebrity guest who states they would like to be someone else whose famous, all in fun, and answer the questions the same way. On this episode, the celebrity guest was Mickey Mantle. He said he would like to be Prince Philip. This episode was filmed in about 1957, I think. BTW - the panel guessed who Mickey wanted to be. The panel consisted of Carl Reiner, Meredith Wilson and Joan Alexander. The host was Robert Q. Lewis. Mickey didn't really say why he would like to be Prince Philip. They also asked him if a certain homer he hit went 562 or 563 feet. He said 562. Carl Reiner said he once hit 562 baseballs one foot each, but nobody took notice. That was typical of the lame humor of that time.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Sox, Rays, Yanks all win last night. (Patriots got trounced, but that's a different off-topic thread.)

But did anybody happen to see the baseball gold medal game in the Olympics this morning? Korea vs. Cuba. Bottom of the ninth, one out, Korea up by a run. They give up a hit and then on a 3-0 count, ball four is called on a borderline pitch that the umpire must have judged was high. The pitcher's body language shows he obviously thought it was a strike, but he wasn't demonstrative. Next batter, ball four is called (to load the bases) on a very close pitch that I think was just low and outside.

The catcher is visibly upset and then stands up to talk nose-to-nose with the plate ump. The Korea coaches come out, there's a big discussion (although no yelling or gesturing that I could see), and when the dust settles, the catcher is ejected.

I can't imagine what must have transpired for the ump to eject a player in the bottom of the ninth in the gold medal game. It had to be pretty bad, but we didn't get to hear or see it on TV.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I can't imagine what must have transpired for the ump to eject a player in the bottom of the ninth in the gold medal game. It had to be pretty bad, but we didn't get to hear or see it on TV.
The catcher ejected himself.
Perhaps he said that "one more word".
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 04:38am
In Memoriam

Grumble, grumble, grumble.....(at least until the l'il sh!t shows up to gloat anyway).....

PS- A Rod is aptly named.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

It's always fun to beat the Yankees, but honestly, I'm more happy that the Rays lost against Toronto. It's nice to see the bullpen hold up as well as it did. Okajima seems to be getting back to last year's form, and that's huge for the Sox.

With the Rays' loss, the Sox are now only 3.5 back. Twins also lost (thanks, DJ), so the Sox get another game up in the wild card, just in case they need it.

Mets can't hold off the Phillies' charge. They're not playing horribly (6-4 in their last 10), but the Phils are hot.

And I have to admit to a little bit of happiness to see the Dodgers go 2-8 over their last 10. Manny started out crazy-hot, but has cooled off quite a bit over the last week.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it, but baseball is now moving (kicking and screaming, apparently) into the 21st century by starting replay on Thursday. The Phillies/Cubbies game will be the first one in history to use the system.

(Well, maybe the discussion is going on in the Baseball forum, but I'm too lazy to go over there.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
(Well, maybe the discussion is going on in the Baseball forum, but I'm too lazy to go over there.)
They seem to be preoccupied with the 9 year old second coming of Nolan Ryan.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
All right, you forced me to go over there.

Rather entertaining. I didn't know whether to bring out my tissue box or wave my flag, but I did learn a new word.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
All right, you forced me to go over there.

Rather entertaining. I didn't know whether to bring out my tissue box or wave my flag, but I did learn a new word.
As long as you've learned something today....

I'm still trying to forget what I learned about Woody yesterday.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yeah, we never got preoccupied with stuff like that over here.....

Croquet anyone?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Yeah, we never got preoccupied with stuff like that over here.....

Croquet anyone?
Hey, i wasn't judging. It's not like I haven't joined in.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well, last night was fun, especially Pedroia's grand slam in the 8th; but today was downright painful. Okajima gives up the tying HR to Giambi, then they load the bases in the 9th before bringing in Papelbon, who promptly gives up the game-winning hit to -- again -- Giambi. Grrrrrr.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Well, last night was fun, especially Pedroia's grand slam in the 8th; but today was downright painful. Okajima gives up the tying HR to Giambi, then they load the bases in the 9th before bringing in Papelbon, who promptly gives up the game-winning hit to -- again -- Giambi. Grrrrrr.
Kinda makes you want to go out and grow a 'stash, eh?

(Used with permission.)