The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:14pm
Huck Finn

I have a good friend who officiates basketball. He is very good and on the rise. One thing that we differ on is the proper way to communicate with a coach. His way of communicating could sometimes include hand jestures and an upset look on his face. He tells me that he thinks he handles coaches well. I think that conversation with a coach should be kept to a minimum and I would never give away the nature of a conversation with a coach by my body language. I also told him something along the lines of I don't handle coaches well because I don't handle them at all! They coach and I officiate the game. If there is a reason for interaction I do what is needed. Other than that I just ref the game. My friend also hates doing rec ball because he says he doesn't gain anything by doing it. I told him that rec ball would give him thicker skin during a high school game and would help his game management. I want to know someone else's point of view.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Everybody has their own style. Whatever your philosophy, it should fit your personality.

If you are a good communicator or "people person", then interaction will help you manage the game. If you don't have strong communication skills, or don't do well with confrontation or criticism, then you may avoid interaction as much as you can.

I agree with the benefits of working Rec ball, but not to obtain thicher skin. On the contrary, what I've learned from Rec ball (I assume your talking about Adult rec) is that you shouldn't give the Adults the same latitude as students. Because of it, I'm more likely to T, and have gained a stronger sense of game control.

I may be developing a reputation amongst the rec players (like I care), but the behavior in my games has improved and the league director has made positive comments about the noticable change.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I know other officials and myself included have gained from rec ball. now that i do organized ball i don't want to go back. what I have learned about handling coaches came from working with other officials and camps where you hear from other officials and coaches. The best advice i got is when you explain a call, try to keep it to three words. Also be very professional and give them the benifit of dought.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing that builds experience like working games at any level. A younger, and some older, officials should put the stripes on any time or place. I know I am a better official from working the endless summer AAU games in college. And I still call some AAU and Rec leagues when asked.