The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   More Reaching across throw-in boundry line (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4297-more-reaching-across-throw-boundry-line.html)

mlancast Mon Mar 04, 2002 01:52pm

In reference to earlier threads and the talk of the Referee Magazine article......What about a situation after a made basket.
A1 is inbounding. A2 runs out of bounds on the opposite side of the lane, and A1 releases the ball toward A2.
B2 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball away. Technical foul or not?? I do not have a rule book with me, but my recollection is that the rule leans towards actually striking the ball while in the thrower-in players' hands. Not sure I'd call a T in this case.

Paul LeBoutillier Mon Mar 04, 2002 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mlancast
In reference to earlier threads and the talk of the Referee Magazine article......What about a situation after a made basket.
A1 is inbounding. A2 runs out of bounds on the opposite side of the lane, and A1 releases the ball toward A2.
B2 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball away. Technical foul or not?? I do not have a rule book with me, but my recollection is that the rule leans towards actually striking the ball while in the thrower-in players' hands. Not sure I'd call a T in this case.

After the ball has been released there would be no foul for the defender reaching across the throw-in plane. See 7-6-3

walter Mon Mar 04, 2002 02:39pm

Paul:

NFHS Casebook 10.3.12 describes this situation almost exactly. Technical foul on B provided the ball is still on the out of bounds side of the line. The technical also serves as the warning for breaking the plane. This is only in effect after a made goal or free throw when A has the privilege of running the endline. Rule 4-41-5 defines when a throw-in ends. It ends when a passed ball touches or is touched by an inbounds player other than the thrower. In the original situation and in 10.3.12, the throw-in has not ended because of A being able to run the endline. Technical foul on B.

mick Mon Mar 04, 2002 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Quote:

Originally posted by mlancast

After the ball has been released there would be no foul for the defender reaching across the throw-in plane. See 7-6-3

Paul,
<u>If both A1 and A2 are OOB</u>, and there is a pass between them, the defender may not interfere with the OOB pass and the accepted throw-in procedure..
If, however, A1 has the ball OOB and <u>A2 is inbounds</u>, then, I agree with you that the defender may touch the ball after the release.
mick

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 04, 2002 03:17pm

Mr. Nit-picky strikes again

Quote:

Originally posted by walter
Paul:

Rule 4-41-5 defines when a throw-in ends. It ends when a passed ball touches or is touched by an inbounds player other than the thrower.

The throw-in also ends when (and if, obviously) the inbounding team violates or if a foul occurs during the inbound.