The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42851-uniforms.html)

mendy Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:19pm

Uniforms

Does the color of the home uniform for JV's need to be white or is that only for the varsity level.

NewNCref Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mendy
Does the color of the home uniform for JV's need to be white or is that only for the varsity level.

That most likely depends on what the state governing body has to say on the matter, so it's going to be hard for anyone here to tell you for sure what the rule is unless we know what area you are in. In that case, someone here may be able to get you an answer.

tjones1 Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:27pm

In Illinois, it only applies to varsity.

Adam Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:28pm

I haven't heard of any state where this is enforced below the varsity level. The rule is the same, and many states want lower level high school violations to be reported; but I haven't seen anyone here state that they were supposed to call the Technical Foul in JV games.

Raymond Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:43pm

Here in VA the VHSL briefed that it only applied to Varsity.

And we did have a GV game at the beginning of the season that started off with 10 free throws.

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 19, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Here in VA the VHSL briefed that it only applied to Varsity.

And we did have a GV game at the beginning of the season that started off with 10 free throws.

How many were made? :confused:

Nevadaref Wed Mar 19, 2008 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref
That most likely depends on what the state governing body has to say on the matter, so it's going to be hard for anyone here to tell you for sure what the rule is unless we know what area you are in. In that case, someone here may be able to get you an answer.

A state could change this and do as it wishes, but the official NFHS policy as stipulated in the comments on the 2004-05 rules revisions is that this rule only applies to varsity uniforms.

"The new rule only affects varsity uniforms; lower level programs may still continue to wear "light-colored" uniforms as home jerseys."

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Mar 19, 2008 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I haven't heard of any state where this is enforced below the varsity level. The rule is the same, and many states want lower level high school violations to be reported; but I haven't seen anyone here state that they were supposed to call the Technical Foul in JV games.

Alaska took the hardline.

Click Here to see the memo from the head of the Alaska School Activities Association. They basically said, you had 3 years advance notice. If you didn't take care of it by now, tough luck.

They did come out early in the season and allow for a visiting team to wear whites while the home team wore darks during any 3-day tournaments. But one team always had to wear white.

Adam Wed Mar 19, 2008 04:49pm

Was this for subvarsity, too? Or just varsity?

Nevadaref Wed Mar 19, 2008 05:07pm

Quote:

Was this for subvarsity, too? Or just varsity?

If you had clicked on the link that he provided and actually READ the memo, you wouldn't be asking that. :(

Indianaref Wed Mar 19, 2008 05:31pm

In Indiana it just applied to the Varsity level.

BktBallRef Wed Mar 19, 2008 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If you had clicked on the link that he provided and actually READ the memo, you wouldn\'t be asking that. :(

If you have that poster blocked, you wouldn\'t know what link you\'re talking about. :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Mar 19, 2008 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If you had clicked on the link that he provided and actually READ the memo, you wouldn\'t be asking that. :(

I did click on the link, but apparently I just skimmed the first paragraph and neglected to catch that part. I read like I listen sometimes.

BillyMac Wed Mar 19, 2008 09:47pm

The Constitution State ...

Connecticut:

Call the technical if home team does not wear white uniforms. Player/team technical is called for each starter and any substitute who enters the game. Applies only to VARSITY team. Situation – Home Team A has non-white uniforms. Team B receives 10 technical free throws to start the game plus the ball. Team A is assess 5 team fouls and each player is assessed a technical which counts toward their allows of 5 fouls before disqualification.
Exceptions are:
1. CIAC grants a waiver to team and notifies Assignment Commissioner who will notify officials
2. visiting team agrees to wear white and home team can wear non-white
3. allowance is made for home team which may host a tournament and need to wear non-white uniform on 2nd day of tournament
Notify Commissioner after game if such situation occurs in your game.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42am

Quote:

I read like I listen sometimes.

What did you say?