Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Besides, sitting around in a bar all day costs more than cable.
Depends. Can't get cable for just one month. SO I have to figure 6 months worth of cable into the calculation

Sitting at an empty bar nursing one beer and a basket of fries for two hours is only about $6. And if it's not busy, the staff don't care if I sit through another game for nothing.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Did you notice that four of the five starters today for San Diego were named Johnson, Johnson, Jackson and Jones? This team gets the tournament trophy for being the most generic.
They've got a guy on the bench named Johnson, too. In Friday's game, the announcer said, "If you can't get it to Johnson or Johnson, you have to settle for Johnson!"
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 02:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys, since we're on the subject, let me quickly explain to you why bookies don't care who wins. This was explained to me when I was just a wee lad by my grandfather, who at one time worked for Al Capone in the gambling "bidness" back in Chicago (and no - I am not making that up, he really did - and then he moved to Tahoe then Vegas to finish out his career). The bookies set the point spread based on what spread they think will get an equal amount of money bet on each team. As the money comes in, if it is heavy on one team, they will move the spread to encourage more to be bet on the other team. When you place a bet with a real bookie, you in effect pay a service charge. That's why they want to eliminate their risk by having an equal amount bet on each team - they make their money on the service charge (sometimes inaccurately referred to as the "vig" - that's something else entirely). If, during the betting process, they have a surplus bet on one team, they will lay off a lot of that with other bookies to get themselves back into a "balanced" position.

So the next time there is a major upset and you hear someone say that the bookies took it in the shorts, you can just laugh because you know it's not true.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 03:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Did you notice that four of the five starters today for San Diego were named Johnson, Johnson, Jackson and Jones? This team gets the tournament trophy for being the most generic.
who's the wise guy?
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Depends. Can't get cable for just one month. SO I have to figure 6 months worth of cable into the calculation

Sitting at an empty bar nursing one beer and a basket of fries for two hours is only about $6. And if it's not busy, the staff don't care if I sit through another game for nothing.
I forgot. I'm used to airports. $6 buys a beer. Add fries and a tip and you're up $15. Do that twice a month and you've almost paid for basic cable, at least at Spokane rates.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 03:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
who's the wise guy?
Here's four o' dem.

Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

So ESPN columnist Gene Wojciechowski is calling Stanford coach's ejection "ticky tack".

He still says Johnson was dumb - but not for walking out to the middle of the floor to be an idiot....but for talking to an official who has "a reputation as having a short fuse and a quick whistle."

What a moron.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...4&sportCat=ncb
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
Wojciechowski
I think there's a shot you can take for that.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Guys, since we're on the subject, let me quickly explain to you why bookies don't care who wins. This was explained to me when I was just a wee lad by my grandfather, who at one time worked for Al Capone in the gambling "bidness" back in Chicago (and no - I am not making that up, he really did - and then he moved to Tahoe then Vegas to finish out his career). The bookies set the point spread based on what spread they think will get an equal amount of money bet on each team. As the money comes in, if it is heavy on one team, they will move the spread to encourage more to be bet on the other team. When you place a bet with a real bookie, you in effect pay a service charge. That's why they want to eliminate their risk by having an equal amount bet on each team - they make their money on the service charge (sometimes inaccurately referred to as the "vig" - that's something else entirely). If, during the betting process, they have a surplus bet on one team, they will lay off a lot of that with other bookies to get themselves back into a "balanced" position.

So the next time there is a major upset and you hear someone say that the bookies took it in the shorts, you can just laugh because you know it's not true.
So in summary: the house always win, right?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Wow!!! Even in the NCAA tourney it happens...

NORFOLK - Of all the ways Old Dominion had messed things up in its string of five straight one-and-dones from the NCAA tournament, this one was bound for infamy. Because freshman Jasmine Parker's name was left off the official scorebook, the Lady Monarchs were assessed a technical foul before tipoff.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

This one had me wondering - in NFHS, we'd only assess the T when (and if) the sub came into the game and we added them to the scorebook then. I looked through the NCAA rulebook, and thought it was a bit vague on this regard. Is there an actual requirement that everyone be listed at the beginning of the game?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
This one had me wondering - in NFHS, we'd only assess the T when (and if) the sub came into the game and we added them to the scorebook then. I looked through the NCAA rulebook, and thought it was a bit vague on this regard. Is there an actual requirement that everyone be listed at the beginning of the game?
Mark, in NFHS we don't 'T' immediately when the name is added?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Mark, in NFHS we don't 'T' immediately when the name is added?
We do, but the team has the option of not adding the person's name to the book. If it's some JV player who never gets into the varsity game, the team might be better off leaving them out of the book and not getting the T.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 11:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
So in summary: the house always win, right?
That's why bookies have been around for thousands of years. I remember placing bets on the Roman chariot races.

Damn that Ben-Hur. I dropped a bundle on him.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Damn that Ben-Hur. I dropped a bundle on him.
If Ben-Hur was a male, his name would be Ben-Him.

Silly (sexist) monkey!