The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clev. St. v. Butler- BI on free throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42642-clev-st-v-butler-bi-free-throw.html)

NewNCref Tue Mar 11, 2008 09:54pm

Clev. St. v. Butler- BI on free throw

Watching the Horizon League Championship Game. There was a BI (though the announcers kept wanting to say they called GT, and that it should be a GT because it wasn't going to go in) on a free throw.

a.) In NFHS, this is a technical foul, correct?
b.) If so, I take it that the NCAA rule is different?
c.) Why a T for GT and BI on a free throw?

zebraman Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref
Watching the Horizon League Championship Game. There was a BI (though the announcers kept wanting to say they called GT, and that it should be a GT because it wasn't going to go in) on a free throw.

a) GT in NFHS is a technical foul on a free throw, not BI.

b) Correct. (Edited - I was incorrect - The rule is the same in NCAA).

3) Not for BI. Probably for GT because that would be extremely unsportsmanlike to goaltend a free throw, don't you think?

Nevadaref Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:23pm

Quote:

a) BI during a FT used to be T in the NFHS, but there was a rule change about four years ago that removed that penalty.

b) I just checked and the NCAA rules are the same as the NFHS. GT during a FT is a T, but BI is not.

c) BI could occur during an effort to make a legitimate play. A player who GTs a FT is just being a jack@ss and deserves a T.

Brad Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
A player who GTs a FT is just being a jack@ss and deserves a T.

This.

Quote:

Also, granted, I did not slow it down or anything, but it did NOT look like BI to me -- looked like the ball was coming off of the front of the rim and did not appear to be touching.

Dan_ref Wed Mar 12, 2008 08:49am

I once had a legitimate BI on a free throw. The FT was on the rim and the defender slapped it away. All was good until I put up 2 fingers, out of habit, and the defensive coach wanted to know why they got 2 pts for a FT.

I didn't see the Butler play, anyone have a link?

NewNCref Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
Also, granted, I did not slow it down or anything, but it did NOT look like BI to me -- looked like the ball was coming off of the front of the rim and did not appear to be touching.

Agreed