Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
For only $4300(train fare included).......
$4300 is, ahem, lowballing it a bit. . .

Quote:
A law enforcement official said Tuesday that Spitzer had spent tens of thousands of dollars with the call-girl service Emperors Club VIP. Another official said the amount could be as high as $80,000.
Now that's some kind of stimulus package!!
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm just trying to imagine making and having the kind of money where my wife wouldn't wonder where the hell that $80,000 went.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm just trying to imagine making and having the kind of money where my wife wouldn't wonder where the hell that $80,000 went.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The guy's a multi-millionaire, Snaqs. That's pocket change to him. He can find that under the cushions of his couch.

If he wants to, he can phone up and say "Send me a blond and a redhead and....hell, send me the pu pu platter."
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, never expected this number of responses. Thanks, yes most of you make it clear it was a good call. I can accept that. But here is why I think it shouldn't have been called.

I was at this game, and for 39 mins and 40 seconds this was a game with no altercations what so ever and was well played by all on the court. The last 20-30 seconds was the most physical of the entire game. The helter skelter play in the moments leading up to the foul were the most physical of the night. After the foul, the ref should have immediately gotten in front of Swader and made it clear he was close to a technical. You can clearly see the Belmont player goes away from Swader but he does not go after him. I light of the situation, a warning should have been made to Swader. Whether he makes the foul shots or not, or Belmont goes on to win is irrelevant.

I look at it this way. It's like you are doing 40mph in a 25 mph zone and a police car going the other way comes over the hill. He flashes his headlights at you to let you know he knows you are speeding. But he does not turn around and stop you. Sure, you are technically breaking the law, but he is warning you to slow down. This same mindset should have been with this particular referee. Had Swader made contact and/or went after the player then case closed it has to be called a technical.

BTW, the announcer that agreed with the call was the color guy, Sonny Smith, who ironically used to be the head coach at ETSU. The play-by-play guy did not feel it was a good call. His name is Matt something (I think) and works for CSS and has no affiliation with ETSU that I know of.

Anyway that just my $0.02.

PS. Just a note about Swader for those that don't know of him. He hardly ever showed emotion in most of the games while at ETSU. And this incident is way out of character for him. I'm not saying that should have been taken into account (I mean how would the ref know that), I just don't want those last few seconds of his senior season for people to think this guy is a thug.

Last edited by etsubucsfan1988; Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 12:33pm.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

You swing an elbow and consideration for things like the score and time go out the window. Ask yourself this question:

Was that a basketball play? Its not the ref's fault that 2 lost his composure.

Had he connected, he was probably tossed.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsubucsfan1988
I look at it this way. It's like you are doing 40mph in a 25 mph zone and a police car going the other way comes over the hill. He flashes his headlights at you to let you know he knows you are speeding. But he does not turn around and stop you. Sure, you are technically breaking the law, but he is warning you to slow down. This same mindset should have been with this particular referee.
On the other hand, the policeman turns on his lights, pulls you over, and writes you a large $$ ticket for violating the speed limit. He is absolutely correct, and you telling him "Why didn't you just flash your lights at me and then I would have slowed down" isn't going to get you very far with that policemean, is it?? He would just look at you and tell you not to break the speed limit anymore...just like the ref called the T, looked at the player and told him not to do that again.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboy13478167346137798
After the foul, the ref should have immediately gotten in front of Swader and made it clear he was close to a technical.
And what, pray tell, gives you the qualification, credibility, and knowledge to say what the "ref should have" done?

FWIW, we don't care which announcers did or did not agree with the call. It was only mentioned because we were surprised the announcer (color guy) got it right.

If you don't like that there was a T called, take it up with the NCAA. The refs made the right call, and would have been reprimanded privately if they hadn't called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboy13478167346137798
Anyway that just my $0.02.
Not quite.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Thanks, yes most of you make it clear it was a good call. I can accept that. But here is why I think it shouldn't have been called.
You come here to ask a bunch of referees if it's the right call. A whole bunch of referees tell you it's exactly the right call for that situation. But you don't think it should've been called. So why did you post the question?!?! Of course it should've been called. The kid swung an elbow near an opponent's head and made unsportsmanlike comments.

I had a coach tell me this postseason, "This game is too close for you to make that call". My response, "Coach, this game is too close for your player to lose control like that."

Same comment applies here, IMO.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BTW, I've never been given a warning for doing 40 in a 25. 15 over tends to get me a ticket. Therefore, I quite doing 40 in a 25. If all I'd gotten is warnings, I probably would have killed someone before I really learned how to drive appropriately.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I have given my take on it, and that's all I can do here.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Wow, never expected this number of responses.
Are you kidding?

Don't flatter yourself, 90% of them were about Eliot Spitzer and Miss I-da-ho. The rest said get over it, it was a good T.

So let's get back on topic... David Letterman's Top 10 mesages left on Eliot Spitzer's answering machine

10 Hey, what's new?

9 It's Barack Obama. Remember our conversation about being my running mate? Nevermind.

8 Ralph Nader here, glad to hear I'm not the only politician who has to pay for it

7 I'm calling from the 'New York Post.' Would you rather be known as 'Disgraced Gov Perv' or 'Humiliated Whore Fiend'?

6 This is John McCain, if it makes you feel better, I once got caught having sex with Lincoln's wife

5 It's Dr. Phil, call me if you need any horse**** advice

4 This is Senator Larry Craig. Do you ever go through the Minneapolis airport?

3 It's Wolf Blitzer. Call me if you ever want a hot Spitzer-Blitzer three-way

2 Paris Hilton here. I would have done it for free

1 It's Arnold Schwarzenegger. Thanks, I'm no longer America's creepiest governor
Keeper of the HAMMER

See ya.
In Memoriam

Quote:
.... I just don't want those last few seconds of his senior season for people to think this guy is a thug.
Nobody is saying that he's a thug. Sadly, he's just typical of the ESPN/NBA generation. Gotta be macho...do a little posing, etc. Well, his immaturity ended up costing his team. He gets all the blame, not the official. All the official did was react to a blatant unsporting act that he had been instructed to call diligently.

If you feel like spreading the blame around, you might try throwing a little in the direction of the kid's head coach. Who else should have some responsibility as to how a player should react in situations like this? Certainly not the official.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have given my take on it, and that's all I can do here.
Then I guess the thread is over.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out/
Closed Thread