The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Intentional foul follies

3rd game in a row yesterday (so you know my crankiness level is at it's peak) - 8th grade boys rec. Team A is up by 2 with about 5 seconds left and A1 has the ball. B1 runs up behind him and pushes him in the back with both hands right in front of my partner, who calls the intentional foul. You can guess what coach B did. Yeah, he throws up his hands and yells, "That's not intentional!"

Team A requests and is granted a TO (why - I don't know, but they did). I walk over to Coach B, get about 3 feet away and tell him that we're not going to continue play until he can explain to me why that shouldn't be called an intentional foul. He looks confused (so what else is new) and I tell him that he was the one who yelled that it wasn't an intentional foul and now he has the opportunity to convince me that it wasn't and maybe I would change the call.

He said, "because it's at the end of the game and we're supposed to foul." I told him I had a rule book in my bag and if he could show me that rule, I would appreciate it.

He stared for a minute, then just turned around and sat down. BTW - A1 made both FTs, they then inbounded and team B just let the clock run out.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 12:18pm.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I walk over to Coach B, get about 3 feet away and tell him that we're not going to continue play until he can explain to me why that shouldn't be called an intentional foul.
And is it possible that your words were heard by anyone else in attendance ?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
8th grade boys rec.
You forgot to say "extremely competitive league."

Boys U12 game yesterday. Coming down to the end of a good game A up by 3 with a few seconds left. B1 fouls A1 with a blatant push. My young partner - maybe 16/17 who has done a pretty good job, rings B1 up - intentional, flagrant, technical!

B coach says, "WHAT?!"

I called my partner to the side and said, "let's just go with an intentional foul, ok?"

He was fine with that. A little over zealous, maybe, but his heart was in the right place!!
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flagrant ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
B1 fouls A1 with a blatant push. My young partner - maybe 16/17 who has done a pretty good job, rings B1 up - intentional, flagrant, technical! I called my partner to the side and said, "let's just go with an intentional foul, ok?" He was fine with that. A little over zealous, maybe, but his heart was in the right place!!
Live ball. Contact. Can't be technical. Could be intentional and/or flagrant. Gutsy call for a high school kid. Give him a contract.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Live ball. Contact. Can't be technical. Could be intentional and/or flagrant. Gutsy call for a high school kid. Give him a contract.
After the games we worked yesterday I absolutely gave him his props!

He's in his first yr and is certainly NOT weak with the whistle or afraid to make a call! He has a future if he wants it. Good to see!!