The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UCLA luckiest team in the country (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42569-ucla-luckiest-team-country.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:08pm

UCLA luckiest team in the country

Thursday night a call goes their way at the end of regulation to allow them to force OT.
Today they get the benefit of the doubt on a shot that may have passed over the top of the backboard (from back to front) that wins the game by one with 1.5 seconds left.

Someone is looking out for this team right now.

jdw3018 Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:24pm

Watching the replay, it certainly looked to pass over the backboard to me.

Very, very difficult play to call live.

rainmaker Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:33pm

Certainly none of the replays showed anything other than over the backboard. Which ref should have caught this? And then since no one did, is it reviewable?

jdw3018 Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Certainly none of the replays showed anything other than over the backboard. Which ref should have caught this? And then since no one did, is it reviewable?

It isn't reviewable. I believe the lead was on the side the shot came from, and the only official who would have had the angle would have been the C. I don't remember where he was when the shot was taken.

TwoBits Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Arguing about this with a friend now. Can someone provide both NFHS and NCAA rules references?

rainmaker Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
It isn't reviewable. I believe the lead was on the side the shot came from, and the only official who would have had the angle would have been the C. I don't remember where he was when the shot was taken.

Lead was on the other side from the shot, I"m pretty sure, since that's where the ball was inbounded, and there wasn't time to rotate? Shooter was close enough to the endline, that I can't think C would have missed it if he'd been looking. Perhaps everyone was just watching for contact. I mean, shooting from behind the backboard must be incredibly rare, not the sort of thing you automatically watch for, eh?

blindzebra Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:45pm

The shot was legal.

The ball must pass completely over from front to back or back to front, the shot went across the corner.

I sure hope you all aren't calling OOB violations for balls going across the corner of the back board.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits
Arguing about this with a friend now. Can someone provide both NFHS and NCAA rules references?

I don't have my books handy but I'm "sure" that in both cases it's in rule 7-1 (talking about being OOB)

jdw3018 Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:46pm

Quote:

NCAA - 7-1-3...The ball shall be out of bounds when it passes over the backboard from any direction.

Don't have my NFHS books at the moment.

jdw3018 Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
The shot was legal.

The ball must pass completely over from front to back or back to front, the shot went across the corner.

I sure hope you all aren't calling OOB violations for balls going across the corner of the back board.

You may be right. You may not. It looked to me like the entire ball was started behind the backboard and passed over it.

SMEngmann Sat Mar 08, 2008 07:18pm

Bottom line here, this is one of those calls where you've gotta err on the side of counting the basket and not making a call unless there is an obvious and clear violation, especially if it's not reviewable, which it isn't. So I think they did the right thing by counting the basket. Dave Libbey was the C on that play BTW.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 08, 2008 07:40pm

Quote:

NFHS
7-1-2d NOTE: When the rectangular backboard is used, the ball is out of bounds if it passes over the backboard.

NCAA was posted by jdw.

BillyMac Sat Mar 08, 2008 08:09pm

Larry Bird ...

Larry Bird made a similar over the backboard from almost out of bounds shot at the Hartford (CT) Civic Center back when the Celtics would play a few home games every season in Hartford, kind of their home away from home.

Texas Aggie Sat Mar 08, 2008 08:11pm

Quote:

The rule says "any direction." Your statement is false.

gazou Sat Mar 08, 2008 08:19pm

In FIBA, it is legal, as long as it does not touch any of the supports of the backboard.