The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NC2AW (Rutgers and UCONN) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42437-nc2aw-rutgers-uconn.html)

IREFU2 Tue Mar 04, 2008 08:31am

NC2AW (Rutgers and UCONN)

Anybody see that game last night???? Comments???

JoeTheRef Tue Mar 04, 2008 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2

Maya Moore is the best and should be Player of the Year. UCONN will win it all. Game was pretty physical.. Gino played a 2-3 defense the whole game and Vivian couldn't do anything with it. Refs did a pretty good job overall, whacked Gino early (first 6 minutes or so) so he pretty much was in check for the rest of the game. Those are pretty much all my comments.. :D

rainmaker Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Thanks for posting. I really wanted to ask anyone about the intentional foul. I thought it was a little too heavy a call, but maybe there's something about NCAA rules that I don't understand. WHat did you think?

I didn't see any PC calls I didn't like. There were some no-calls I wouldn't have let go at the high school level! It was such a rough game...

ALso, did you see the play where the UConn girl caught the rebound in the air, began her dribble before her butt hit the ground, dribbled through a 180, and got to her feet to head off down the court?!? Looked like gymnastics.

I thought Rutgers looked awful. Shooting abysmal, defense too physical and slow. Way, way too many open UConn shots.

Did you have any comments?

IREFU2 Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07pm

Well, I thought that the first half was very physical and should have been more whistles. Clearly, UCONN was getting all of the calls and Rutgers was scrammbling and in my own opinion was being fouled. As far as the intentional, the lead was kind of out of position for that kind of foul and indeed had a common foul first and then changed it to an intentional at the end due to the way the play hit the floor. I think the C should have had a whistle as well. Maybe they did. Couple of times UCONN had the ball in the paint and clearly traveled and there was no call. I think the whistle should have been blown a bit more and maybe there would have not been an intentional foul. Also, did you see the UCONN player swing at the Rutgers player?

rainmaker Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:24pm

Quote:

Well, I thought that the first half was very physical and should have been more whistles. Clearly, UCONN was getting all of the calls and Rutgers was scrammbling and in my own opinion was being fouled. As far as the intentional, the lead was kind of out of position for that kind of foul and indeed had a common foul first and then changed it to an intentional at the end due to the way the play hit the floor. I think the C should have had a whistle as well. Maybe they did. Couple of times UCONN had the ball in the paint and clearly traveled and there was no call. I think the whistle should have been blown a bit more and maybe there would have not been an intentional foul. Also, did you see the UCONN player swing at the Rutgers player?

Geno sure didn't think he was getting all the calls!! Rutgers also travelled in the paint quite a bit. I saw a couple of very, very questionable no-calls that UConn committed, one which was obviously retaliatory, when I thought Rutgers should have gotten called. Overall, they let too much go for my taste, but I thought it was pretty much both ways. Talk about beating each other up in the post!

JoeTheRef Tue Mar 04, 2008 02:43pm

Quote:

I didn't see the UCONN player swing, I did see the Rutger player shove the UCONN player after Denise calls a foul on the Rutgers player. She also sees the shove and just moves straight in between the players from the C slot. Rutgers was definitely more physical last night. I think there was one screening play where Vaughn or somebody almost had the UCONN defender in a choke hold trying to come off of that screen. Also an obvious PC when Tina Charles hooks her defender in the lane to get by her then gets a touch foul. None of it played into the outcome. UCONN wanted it more.